New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Maybe Dunfermline will get a direct train link to Glasgow now?

If there’s one change we’ll see after achieving city status, I hope it’s this. I don’t see how it’s so difficult to have a direct rail link from Dunfermline to Glasgow via Alloa/Stirling.

On 20/05/2022 at 20:11, BFTD said:

Stirling's not a city either, and it's one of my favourite places in Scotland. Had to lasso the population of the surrounding villages across to the Trossachs to appear more impressive.

Something that I can't help but notice any time I'm in Stirling is the unusually high proportion of stereotypical neds in the town city centre, which by my reckoning is significantly higher than any other comparable settlement outhwith Strathclyde or West Lothian. Absolutely no surprise that the town is full of OF fans who have never (and will never) set foot in Forthbank/Annfield.

I’m sure it’s Stirling where the local goths hang about an area where an Argos is and they are nicknamed the Argoths.

Deserves its city status for that incredible piece of patter alone.

2 hours ago, Hedgecutter said:

Something that I can't help but notice any time I'm in Stirling is the unusually high proportion of stereotypical neds in the town city centre, which by my reckoning is significantly higher than any other comparable settlement outhwith Strathclyde or West Lothian. Absolutely no surprise that the town is full of OF fans who have never (and will never) set foot in Forthbank/Annfield.

Or Ibrox/Parkhead for that matter…

It really should have been Paisley, and it makes a mockery of the whole decision process that somewhere like Dunfermline was chosen. As far as I’m aware Dunfermline doesn’t have an internationally recognised airport where people like Lionel Messi and Barack Obama have chosen to fly in to. It also boasts an expansive University complex, an educational home to students from places like Spain and even France, as well as natives from places such as Linwood and Dumbarton. 

Another thing that Dunfermline definitely doesn’t have either is Paisley Abbey, an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 7th century, a building that the people from the UNESCO World Heritage Society once said ‘doesn’t come close to qualifying as one of the wonders of the world’, although they did admit the building was structurally sound. 

43 minutes ago, Big Chief Toffee Teeth said:

Thank goodness the Dumfries bid flopped. Led by the biggest bunch of chancers and self-servers outwith Westminster.

Dumfries 'City' Bid:

stoneybridge-900102fb-db65-44c2-958b-55b4a6278cb-resize-750.jpeg.81c8904b9f7e12aac5a7f471847e2859.jpeg

On 20/05/2022 at 19:53, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Nothing against Dunfermline, it's a nice place, but it's not a city. City status is an important economical and geographical function, just chucking it about to places who said they loved the Queen the most, including *checks notes* a fucking rock in the South Atlantic populated by penguins.

Stupid country.

How else was Margaret supposed to stick one up Johnny Foreigner to get the seething right wing masses on board?

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

It really should have been Paisley, and it makes a mockery of the whole decision process that somewhere like Dunfermline was chosen. As far as I’m aware Dunfermline doesn’t have an internationally recognised airport where people like Lionel Messi and Barack Obama have chosen to fly in to. It also boasts an expansive University complex, an educational home to students from places like Spain and even France, as well as natives from places such as Linwood and Dumbarton. 

Another thing that Dunfermline definitely doesn’t have either is Paisley Abbey, an architectural masterpiece that dates back to the 7th century, a building that the people from the UNESCO World Heritage Society once said ‘doesn’t come close to qualifying as one of the wonders of the world’, although they did admit the building was structurally sound. 

Paisley isn't even a town any more so your bid is as pointless as 'South Ayrshire's' nick of an effort. 

5 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

I'm still trying to suss out whether this was written tongue in cheek (seeing as sarcasm doesn't carry well in text)?

The highlighted bits in particular have me falling on the piss-take side of the fence.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

Making the Glasgow suburb of Paisley a city would have been a bit like that weird thing where Westminster and London are separate cities.

Or Salford in Manchester.

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Paisley isn't even a town any more so your bid is as pointless as 'South Ayrshire's' nick of an effort. 

Oh it’s not a town anymore? What is it then as I genuinely don’t know? A village? A village with a population of 85,000. 

I assume from your username that you reside in the vicinity of the industrial wasteland that is known as Inverclyde. And I will also assume that your gripe towards the TOWN of Paisley stems from the rivalry between your football team and that of St Mirren. As I said in the quoted post, Paisley possesses buildings that an entity like UNESCO deem worthy of acknowledgment. Somehow I don’t think they bothered to travel along the M8 to see such wonders as Port Glasgow or the scheme flats in Greenock. 

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Making the Glasgow suburb of Paisley a city would have been a bit like that weird thing where Westminster and London are separate cities.

I think you are getting mixed up with Westminster and ‘City of London’. Westminster is a London borough that sits north of the Thames, and is very much a part of London. The City of London is the area that has been segregated, and has its own Police force and other anomalies which categorise it as a separate City. 

Should have been South Ayrshire -

International Airport,
3 open golf courses,
Worlds most famous poet Robert Burns,
Robert the Bruce birthplace,
Scotland's best racecourse and
Somerset Park a world heritage site.