New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

5 hours ago, scottsdad said:

Train journey from hell. No matter what end you get off, you're in a shithole of a place. 

I didn’t think Dunfermline seemed bad at all compared to most Scottish towns on my only visit.

Am I missing something or is this just the classic Scottish/P&B way of “every town that I don’t live in is a shithole”?.

Nothing against Dunfermline, it's a nice place, but it's not a city. City status is an important economical and geographical function, just chucking it about to places who said they loved the Queen the most, including *checks notes* a fucking rock in the South Atlantic populated by penguins.

Stupid country.

Edited by Detective Jimmy McNulty

Stirling's not a city either, and it's one of my favourite places in Scotland. Had to lasso the population of the surrounding villages across to the Trossachs to appear more impressive.

Dunfermline was the obvious choice, and will have been chosen for historical reasons, just like Colchester. Other than the town city councillors dining out on their new status, f**k knows what difference it'll make to them.

2 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I'm interested to hear why. I'll be there tomorrow. Recommendations welcome.

Stirling was the nearest town to the wee village in the Trossachs that most of my mum's family grew up in. I spent a lot of time there as a wean, and loved the place. Still do, if I'm honest. I've no idea what dirty outsiders would make of it, although everyone seems to think it's a very pretty place, and there's plenty to explore for people who like history. Also, incredibly, still the home of the infamous Fubar, and they tell me it's still a good town to get utterly stocious in.

Obviously not a patch on Alloa, but what can you do.

13 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

Absolute farce that we never got it tbh. How on earth a town without a cinema and attractions such as falling buildings in the town centre and endless potholes never got their deserved City status beggars belief.

Compared to Dumfries, Edinburgh has cinemas. Go us! 

Incidentally while England has Luton Town, Northampton Town etc. the only Scottish football club to be given the moniker "Town" was the short lived Dunbar Town of the 1930s. 

Sorry to see that Falkirk wasn't even among the front runners. It doesn't deserve to be languishing in the lower level of "town". And there would be much larger crowds celebrating a win. I'm sure all in the town will wish Dunfermline City all the best.
Falkirk fail again - nothing new there.

21 hours ago, oaksoft said:

Maybe Dunfermline will get a direct train link to Glasgow now?

The service bus is just over an hour between the 2, would think the train would struggle to compete

28 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I still think we should've built a new megacity, rather than just stick city on or of the existing coups.

Build it by Stirling, easy for everyone to get to. 

Clearly building a floating city in the clouds was the answer.

Then use it to reign fire down from above on our enemies (Greenock).

7 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:
9 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:
I still think we should've built a new megacity, rather than just stick city on or of the existing coups.

I think it should be like New New York in Futurama. Just concrete over Aberdeen and build a new city on top of it.

They did that in Judge Dredd. Mega City One was built on top of the old city. Underneath was the Undercity, a shadowy ruin where strange half blind cannibalistic mutants lived. 

Coatbridge basically. 

10 hours ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

When Inverness became a city, as far as I remember, all that changed was that the cost of staying in hotels went up.  I mean, seriously, who the Hell pays good money to stay in Dunfermline, let alone have to pay even more to do it? 🤔

Presumably no one. That’s why Inverness, despite it only having a population of 65-70k is a great shout for a city. It’s a transport hub for the north and beyond, with flights to places like Dublin, Belfast, Heathrow and Amsterdam, has a massive tourist industry, and is home to massive shaggers.

Dunfermline and Stirling are just generic, run of the mill Scottish towns.

42 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Dunfermline and Stirling are just generic, run of the mill Scottish towns.

Both have distinctive and historically important pre-industrial historic quarters that the likes of nearby towns such as Kirkcaldy, Glenrothes, Alloa, Falkirk etc come absolutely nowhere near matching.

That whole section of Dunfermline comprising the the abbey, royal palace, Pittencrieff Park, Abbot House & the Carnegie Birthplace Museum is actually a very decent yet overlooked touristy day out.