New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

34 minutes ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee will always be the only cities in Scotland IMO.
To call other towns a city somewhat devalues it for me. I get the old ‘having a Cathedral’ thing in the past but a city should have a certain population to qualify these days.
Dunfermline will always be the ‘Auld Grey Toun’

31 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

I always think of it as any settlement with a population of under 100,000 has a hard neck calling itself a city. So that would just be the 4 cities you mention. 

The South Ayrshire megalopolis would be right at home amongst the other 4 then.*

* it’s a fucking ridiculous idea. I can only guess some batshit crazy councillor thought it up and everyone else was too scared to tell them they’re a fucking idiot.

1 hour ago, Dunfermline Don said:

Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee will always be the only cities in Scotland IMO.
To call other towns a city somewhat devalues it for me. 

Agreed.  It's all a bit silly, and desperate sounding.

What are the 'official' other ones anyway? Perth, Inverness, Stirling?  I'm genuinely not sure.  I suppose that proves the point that conferring city status changes nothing about how such places are regarded.

What's so wrong about being a town anyway?

10 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Yes, your n=1 study certainly proves the point.

Fair enough.  It's obviously proof of nothing. 

I'd tamely suggest it might be indicative of something though.  Obviously, however, that can also be challenged on account of the sample size if doing so pleases you.

17 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

What are the 'official' other ones anyway? Perth, Inverness, Stirling?  I'm genuinely not sure.  I suppose that proves the point that conferring city status changes nothing about how such places are regarded.

Luton Town, Huddersfield Town, Shrewsbury Town etc are football clubs in England.

In Scotland we have Johnstone Burgh as Burgh was the official Scottish term for a town.

There was to my knowledge one club called "town" in Scotland- the short lived Dunbar Town

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

Luton Town, Huddersfield Town, Shrewsbury Town etc are football clubs in England.

In Scotland we have Johnstone Burgh as Burgh was the official Scottish term for a town.

There was to my knowledge one club called "town" in Scotland- the short lived Dunbar Town

Am I right in saying that someone, Swansea maybe, switched their name from 'Town' to 'City' at some point.

I always think the strangest such name involves the word 'County' being attached to Stockport.

Can't make sense of the "South Ayrshire" one. If they were talking about the Ayr/Prestwick/maybe Troon? conurbation then aye maybe. But the region? Very daft. 

Will probably go to St Andrews. Not sure why city status is such a big thing and why there is such a clamour for it.

The team in Perth take their name from it being

saint john’s town

Technically they should have done a Swansea and rebranded as St Johnscity by now

1 hour ago, Hedgecutter said:

Elgin is set to host a Vengaboys gig early next year.  Would a mere town be able attract a world famous headline act?

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/vengaboys-scheduled-to-play-gig-in-elgin-252183/

They're playing at Bognor Regis and Skegness, so if the criteria for being a city is now 'having a Butlins' then Ayr may have blown it's chances.

On 24/12/2021 at 16:29, Monkey Tennis said:

I saw the wee place in Cornwall on the news last week that have gone for it. When I say wee place, I mean wee place. They reckon granting city status boosts tourism.

I think more than a token name of 'city' is required to truly boost tourism in a given place. Perth was granted city status in 2012, I can't imagine it's a real hotbed for visitors a decade on.

On 25/12/2021 at 16:08, topcat(The most tip top) said:

The team in Perth take their name from it being

saint john’s town

Technically they should have done a Swansea and rebranded as St Johnscity by now

St John's toun, although it was never actually named it, it was what it was colloquially called.

16 hours ago, Connor1874 said:

I saw the wee place in Cornwall on the news last week that have gone for it. When I say wee place, I mean wee place. They reckon granting city status boosts tourism.

I think more than a token name of 'city' is required to truly boost tourism in a given place. Perth was granted city status in 2012, I can't imagine it's a real hotbed for visitors a decade on.

It's all about money, City status grants you more cash from the local pot so I've been told.

On 26/12/2021 at 12:24, Hedgecutter said:

Elgin is set to host a Vengaboys gig early next year.  Would a mere town be able attract a world famous headline act?

https://www.northern-scot.co.uk/news/vengaboys-scheduled-to-play-gig-in-elgin-252183/

I mean, the Cooper Park is effectively Worthy Farm so the appeal is clear.

I’ve been there it’s is a small village just outside Penzance. Penzance itself is smaller than Elgin but Marazion is more like Fochabers. A Penzance bid might make a little bit of sense on the “it’s not much of a place but it’s a long way from any proper city” principle but the Marazion bid is just a publicity stunt.

George Town, Cayman Islands on the other hand is capital of a tax haven and so, with the current government, has to be in with a shout

On 24/12/2021 at 15:15, Dunfermline Don said:

I get the old ‘having a Cathedral’ thing in the past but a city should have a certain population to qualify these days.

On 24/12/2021 at 15:18, TheScarf said:

I always think of it as any settlement with a population of under 100,000 has a hard neck calling itself a city. So that would just be the 4 cities you mention. 

I think it should be like the hotel stars system - as well as capacity (population) you need certain facilities to qualify for consideration of city status. Swimming pool, football team (other sports may grudgingly be accepted) museum, train station, gig venue/theatre, cinema.

Dumfries doesn't even have a proper cinema and should be disqualified.

2 hours ago, DG.Roma said:

I think it should be like the hotel stars system - as well as capacity (population) you need certain facilities to qualify for consideration of city status. Swimming pool, SPFL football team (other sports may not be accepted) museum, train station, gig venue/theatre, cinema.

Dumfries doesn't even have a proper cinema and should be disqualified.

FTFY 

As Greenock also has an outdoor swimming pool situated in stunning, fjord-like surroundings and more train stations than any settlement outside of Glasgow/Edinburgh, it should clearly be promoted to third city status ahead of pointless dumps like 'Aberdeen'.