New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

22 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The final list of Scottish entrants:

Dumfries
Dunfermline
Elgin
Greenock
Livingston
Oban
St Andrews
"South Ayrshire"

What an absolute rogue’s gallery.

Dunfermline must be in with a decent shout seeing that opposition.

33 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

The final list of Scottish entrants:

Dumfries
Dunfermline
Elgin
Greenock
Livingston
Oban
St Andrews
"South Ayrshire"

Elgin is by far and away the obvious choice there.

How can Greenock be a city? It’s part of Glasgow.

Elgin is by far and away the obvious choice there.
How can Greenock be a city? It’s part of Glasgow.

Salford and Lisburn are part of the metropolitan areas of Manchester and Belfast respectively so that shouldn’t eliminate even Paisley and the rest of the candidate towns are commuting distance from existing cities as it stands apart from Oban and they’re obviously taking the piss

2 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Salford and Lisburn are part of the metropolitan areas of Manchester and Belfast respectively so that shouldn’t eliminate even Paisley and the rest of the candidate towns are commuting distance from existing cities as it stands apart from Oban and they’re obviously taking the piss

Don't know anything about Salford or Manchester, but Lisburn is very distinct from Belfast. Nobody driving the M1 north or southbound could confuse the two.

Whereas Greenock is part of that south-western blob that forms Glasgow. If it's south of the Castlecary Arches, north of Kilmarnock and west of Shotts (but inclusive of Shotts), then it's Glasgow. You cannot argue with this.

Don't know anything about Salford or Manchester, but Lisburn is very distinct from Belfast. Nobody driving the M1 north or southbound could confuse the two.
Whereas Greenock is part of that south-western blob that forms Glasgow. If it's south of the Castlecary Arches, north of Kilmarnock and west of Shotts (but inclusive of Shotts), then it's Glasgow. You cannot argue with this.

Geographically Lisburn seems to be just a continuation up the Lagan with just the width of a golf course separating them but I’ve only been to Northern Ireland once and I spent most of that time drinking around the university, playing rugby badly in Bangor and drinking in Bangor so I’m no expert

Is their some sectarian subtext that I’m missing or something like that?

6 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Geographically Lisburn seems to be just a continuation up the Lagan with just the width of a golf course separating them but I’ve only been to Northern Ireland once and I spent most of that time drinking around the university, playing rugby badly in Bangor and drinking in Bangor so I’m no expert

Is their some sectarian subtext that I’m missing or something like that?

Not really no, just when you take the main road north you eventually hit a roundabout with one exit for Lisburn and one exit to join the M1 to Belfast. It's very distinct and befitting of two separate cities.

Whereas if you're going to Glasgow via the M80, the M8, the M74 or the M77, how would you ever know the difference between Glasgow and, say, East Kilbride or Paisley? You wouldn't. It's all just Glasgow.

Not really no, just when you take the main road north you eventually hit a roundabout with one exit for Lisburn and one exit to join the M1 to Belfast. It's very distinct and befitting of two separate cities.
Whereas if you're going to Glasgow via the M80, the M8, the M74 or the M77, how would you ever know the difference between Glasgow and, say, East Kilbride or Paisley? You wouldn't. It's all just Glasgow.

Presumably if you were coming from the M77 you’d hit a junction where you turn left for Paisley and east for the Kingston bridge into Glasgow

If this is confusing then it’s nothing on Manchester United playing in Salford

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Presumably if you were coming from the M77 you’d hit a junction where you turn left for Paisley and east for the Kingston bridge into Glasgow

But you're already in Glasgow by the time you hit that junction.