New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

If it is all about a train station, an airport and maybe even a ferry terminal then maybe the answer is Oban.

Imagine a news report about people there being overweight.

"Obesity in Oban City"

Also it almost sounds scientific.

"What is the obancity of Praseodymium?"

"7"

"Yeah.  That's what I thought".

7 hours ago, IrishBhoy said:

Paisley has Scotland’s main international airport, sadly hijacked by Glasgow. It has more right to be a city than Perth or Stirling, who if I’m not mistaken have no international airports. 

Paisley being nominated as a City is akin to a St.Johnstone player being nominated for the Scotland squad. It’s frankly disgusting and not on.

4 hours ago, Fullerene said:

If it is all about a train station, an airport and maybe even a ferry terminal then maybe the answer is Oban.

Imagine a news report about people there being overweight.

"Obesity in Oban City"

Also it almost sounds scientific.

"What is the obancity of Praseodymium?"

"7"

"Yeah.  That's what I thought".

Oban is a part of Paisley in the aforementioned postcode rule.

11 hours ago, Fullerene said:

Is this an argument for saying Dundee should not be a city?  Yes  I know about all the other stuff, marmalade and all that but a little bit station and platform impoverished to be the real thing.

Discuss.

1/ Not from me it isn't, no.

2/ Maybe an argument for using spellchecker.

Postcodes are a ridiculous way to judge something as a continuous area. If we adopt that logic Tiree is part of Paisley and Skye is part of Inverness.

If you must go down that road, you can use telephone codes which are at least split by smaller areas. Incidentally, a method which confirms Paisley's correct status as part of Glasgow.

Railway stations should be counted based on postcode.
Dundee can claim:
Dundee (DD1)
Invergowrie (DD2)
Broughty Ferry (DD5)
Balmossie (DD5)
Monifieth (DD5)
Barry Links (DD7)
Golf Street (DD7)
Carnoustie (DD7)
Montrose (DD10)
Arbroath (DD11)
It annoys me more than it should that Montrose's postcode comes alphanumerically before Arbroath's. 

Dundee would be behind nearly every other part of Scotland if that was how it was judged. What a pathetic number of stations.

Some joker trying to sell Livy for city status.............back o the queue

Over the last 60 years, Livingston has been transformed from three villages and only 60 households to a large, culturally vibrant town, said Mrs Mitchell.

Although one of the UK’s youngest towns, Livingston is proud of its heritage and the community has come together to celebrate the town’s important anniversaries, from its 10th birthday in 1972 to more recently, in 2012 when the town celebrated its 50th anniversary.

22 minutes ago, dirty dingus said:

Some joker trying to sell Livy for city status.............back o the queue

Over the last 60 years, Livingston has been transformed from three villages and only 60 households to a large, culturally vibrant town, said Mrs Mitchell.

Although one of the UK’s youngest towns, Livingston is proud of its heritage and the community has come together to celebrate the town’s important anniversaries, from its 10th birthday in 1972 to more recently, in 2012 when the town celebrated its 50th anniversary.

So proud they had to steal someone else's football team whilst having one of their own which was mostly ignored.

To quote Independence Day "nuke 'em"

12 hours ago, ArabAuslander said:

Hmmm Dundee has more than 1.

Dundee "Central" and Broughty Ferry are both in the city. Balmossie - I think is just in the Dundee CC area. Whilst Invergowrie and Monifieth are pretty much Dundee.

Worth noting that Aberdeen only has itself and Dyce with nothing within 10 miles of it either side...

Weel, it's Aiberdeen and twal' mile roon, nae ten.

Although I dinna 'hink twal' will hae ower muckle difference...

Edited by Jacksgranda
Sleppnig

This chat about airports reminds me of when some Ross County fan tried to claim they had an advantage when signing players over Falkirk because of their proximity to Inverness Airport.

On 26/09/2021 at 01:07, The Master said:

Railway stations should be counted based on postcode.

Dundee can claim:

Dundee (DD1)
Invergowrie (DD2)
Broughty Ferry (DD5)
Balmossie (DD5)
Monifieth (DD5)
Barry Links (DD7)
Golf Street (DD7)
Carnoustie (DD7)
Montrose (DD10)
Arbroath (DD11)

It annoys me more than it should that Montrose's postcode comes alphanumerically before Arbroath's. 

Not even a big Limmy fan but every time  I see a Dundee postcode

image.png.9b249353143ee67a81b5acd681e9a6dd.png