New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

10 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Slightly off topic, but Scotland's 4 proper cities are ranked;

Glasgow > Dundee >>> Edinburgh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aberdeen.

This isn't a point of discussion, it's fact.

I was going to argue with you here but in retrospect, not keen on any of them.

Glasgow - lovely city, shame about the Glaswegians. 

Dundee - I had a great night out there in 1998. After the pub went to a snack bar and got something called a Helicopter. It was a heart attack on a plate. Delicious. But again, the inhabitants of the city let it down.

Edinburgh - shortbread tin lid. I have worked there for 15 years, so associate it only with toil and graft. Who wants that?

Aberdeen - too far from civilisation to consider. 

A new city should be built that dwarfs both Edinburgh and Glasgow. It should be built on the east coast and have a harbour port that has direct access to Europe. It should be built between Falkirk and Stirling with both these places becoming part of the new city. It should be a proper city with skyscrapers and all that stuff. The population should be made up mainly of immigrants.A mega city with 10,000,000 new inhabitants coming to Scotland. 

If that's a choice I'll take that. 

The obvious answer is a football tournament to determine the winner.

This is a good idea and should replace the Challenge Cup every year - the Scottish Towns Cup - get it sponsored by one of those weird newsagents that you seem to get in every town. Look at the previous season's leagues, strip out all the city clubs, then take the top 16 clubs with a strict one team per town rule.

7 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Paisley's only chance is trying to become the Salford of Scotland and I reckon the residents of Paisley would be as annoying as Salfordians in insisting they weren't just Glaswegians/ Mancunians. 

Dumfries should have a good chance on the basis that they're the main town in a county which can't resist voting Tory every single chance it gets.

Doubtful since most people from Renfrewshire say they're from Glasgow anyway.

18 hours ago, Gaz said:

The City of Falkirk has a certain ring to it.

It does, and if it attracts even a penny of sorely needed investment then it gets my vote.

7 hours ago, virginton said:

Still, at least you're taking it well.

What you said was a lot of utter “jobbiepish” as he eloquently put it. Greenock is just an annexe of Port Glasgow btw.

1 hour ago, MONKMAN said:

Slightly off topic, but Scotland's 4 proper cities are ranked;

Glasgow > Dundee >>> Edinburgh >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Aberdeen.

This isn't a point of discussion, it's fact.

Incorrect. Place the other three in any order you please but Edinburgh is comfortably bottom of the order every time.

8 hours ago, NotThePars said:

Paisley's only chance is trying to become the Salford of Scotland and I reckon the residents of Paisley would be as annoying as Salfordians in insisting they weren't just Glaswegians/ Mancunians. 

Paisley's more like Eccles.

2 minutes ago, Deanburn Dave said:
5 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:
Bollocks.  It's pronounced 'A' as in the first letter of the alphabet.

Correct. I used to go there a lot to walk my dog in the Ae forest.

Yip, I regularly do the same.  Might nip out there tomorrow in fact.

With all these city statuses being handed out, we’re getting close to the point where any settlement with a handful of houses and a shop will be able to call itself a city, US-style.

Do we really want to see irrelevant backwaters like Methil, Cumbernauld and Greenock becoming cities?

In fact, we should go back to #TB4 of Glasgow, Edinburgh, Aberdeen and Dundee, returning real prestige to the city monicker.