New City in Scotland

New Scottish Jubilee City  

222 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Whenever somewhere from the rural parts of the north-east (i.e most of it) is mentioned, there is mass confusion in the rest of the country.

It's about time the profile was raised.

Therefore go for either Rhynie, Clatt, Oyne, Foggieloan or Auchterless.

19 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

Whenever somewhere from the rural parts of the north-east (i.e most of it) is mentioned, there is mass confusion in the rest of the country.

It's about time the profile was raised.

Therefore go for either Rhynie, Clatt, Oyne, Foggieloan or Auchterless.

You're not helping your cause here.

Please post the names of real towns and not some completely made up words.

17 minutes ago, Gordon EF said:

Other i.e. None.

None of these places are cities by any stretch of the imagination.

If Stirling, Perth or Inverness can be given city status, half of Scotland's settlements clearly qualify as well*.

Spoiler

But not Paisley because it is just a scheme in Glasgow.

6 minutes ago, virginton said:

If Stirling, Perth or Inverness can be given city status, half of Scotland's settlements clearly qualify as well*.

Hide contents

The difference with Inverness of course, is that its a bustling, beautiful metropolis with a major international airport hub and a major cup winning football team.  Something Stirling, Perth or any other central belt, ***-infested shitehole doesn't have.  Perth can only equate to Inverness with the major cup winning winning football team part.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

Only if you're a bit thick and don't understand the analogy at all tbh. 

Paisley is part of the Greater Glasgow conurbation and so has no more claim to being a town than Partick or Govan, which were also distinct settlements gobbled up by the City of Glasgow in 1912.

Glasgow City's International Airport is further away from the city centre in the same direction than Paisley's shan 'piazza' and other 'tourist attractions'. 

Not a city, not even a town anymore.

484028919_CdS2JR0WwAIEFkw(1).jpg.7ca21a362411b6b2a24ca56712076030.jpg

So were we to give Paisley nominal City status alongside neighbouring Glasgow there would be precedents like the "Twin Cities" of  Minneapolis & St Paul, or more pertinently Manchester & Salford 

Personally I think we've devalued "city status" so far already with Perth, Stirling and Inverness that including the likes of Paisley hardly matters anymore. 

19 minutes ago, virginton said:

Hide contents

Those towns should be stripped of their city status.

Scotland has four cities.

12 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The difference with Inverness of course, is that its a bustling, 

Just a couple of points of order.

Inverness is the thirteen largest settlement in the country, so not even in the top flight M8. 

***-infested 

Inverness FFS. You're one step above Larkhall on the staunchometer. 

17 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

The difference with Inverness of course, is that its a bustling, beautiful metropolis with a major international airport hub and a major cup winning football team.  Something Stirling, Perth or any other central belt, ***-infested shitehole doesn't have.  Perth can only equate to Inverness with the major cup winning winning football team part.

My wife's first husband is from Perth. A roaster and a weirdo, with a mullet. Perth should be stripped of its city status if this is the kind of people it produces.

21 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

59f879973cec115efb362395.thumb.png.9b04641123f0d557c209886a07f4d3fe.png

20 minutes ago, virginton said:

Just a couple of points of order.

Inverness is the thirteen largest settlement in the country, so not even in the top flight M8. 

Inverness FFS. You're one step above Larkhall on the staunchometer. 

67,000 is the population I believe.  I don' think there's 12 more places with more people in than that.  I may be wrong.

Edit - Fair point on the *** part.

Edited by TheScarf

1 minute ago, TheScarf said:

67,000 is the population I believe.  I don' think there's 12 more places with more people in than that.  I may be wrong.

He'll be working of the wikipedia list which was based On 2016 data. It's entirely possible that Inveness has edged ahead of the likes of Livingston, Hamilton or Dunfermline

Mind you it was only about 40K when City Status was awarded so it would be a treacherous foundation on which to rest a defence of that award

Just now, topcat(The most tip top) said:

He'll be working of the wikipedia list which was based On 2016 data. It's entirely possible that Inveness has edged ahead of the likes of Livingston, Hamilton or Dunfermline

Mind you it was only about 40K when City Status was awarded so it would be a treacherous foundation on which to rest a defence of that award

The 67,000 is including Smithton, Culloden and Balloch which to anyone with a working brain, are now part of Inverness, having been separate to it when they were originally built about 60 years ago.