Famous films you've never seen

scottsdad

That Loch Ness film starring Ted Danson, released during that period in the Nineties when Hollywood was briefly fascinated with Scotland again. Saw the trailer twenty-odd years ago and the entire plot immediately popped into my head, so I didn't feel the need.

Danson is some kind of oceanographer who's sent to Scotland to investigate Nessie. He thinks it's all bullshit, but has a few near misses with something unexplained and starts to wonder if it might be true. Just as it looks as though there might be some grand reveal, the strange happenings turn out to be something innocuous, and Danson is disappointed. But then, when everyone has left and there's nothing to record it, Nessie appears and Danson learns a life lesson about the true magic of life and never giving up hope and a bunch of other shite.

Am I close?

3 hours ago, scottsdad said:

I have never seen E.T. Tried watching it a couple of times but ended up going off to do something else (more interesting) after the first 10 minutes. 

What popular films have you managed to dodge? And will you try to watch them in future?

ET was shit, and it's on at the Vue in Stirling this weekend. Enjoy (you won't).

18 minutes ago, BFTD said:

That Loch Ness film starring Ted Danson, released during that period in the Nineties when Hollywood was briefly fascinated with Scotland again. Saw the trailer twenty-odd years ago and the entire plot immediately popped into my head, so I didn't feel the need.

Danson is some kind of oceanographer who's sent to Scotland to investigate Nessie. He thinks it's all bullshit, but has a few near misses with something unexplained and starts to wonder if it might be true. Just as it looks as though there might be some grand reveal, the strange happenings turn out to be something innocuous, and Danson is disappointed. But then, when everyone has left and there's nothing to record it, Nessie appears and Danson learns a life lesson about the true magic of life and never giving up hope and a bunch of other shite.

Am I close?

Almost. Danson is sent to Scotland to find Nessie. He thinks it's all bullshit but one night he is out on the loch and meets Nessie. The two fall head over tail in love with each other. Danson invites Nessie to a oceanographer's dinner dance. Some of his friends are unimpressed with Nessie and tell him so when Nessie is out of earshot. Danson dumps Nessie who goes on the rampage and destroys Glass-gow and Edinboro killing thousands of people who look like Groundskeeper Willie. Danson is sent by the head oceanographer to calm Nessie down. Nessie says she is very sorry. Danson wants to get back together but  Nessie fears another broken heart. Danson goes back to America, a broken man. The final scene is Nessie frolicking on the banks of Loch Ness with her babies, all of whom have human Danson heads. Fin.

52 minutes ago, Jimi Shandrix said:

Almost. Danson is sent to Scotland to find Nessie. He thinks it's all bullshit but one night he is out on the loch and meets Nessie. The two fall head over tail in love with each other. Danson invites Nessie to a oceanographer's dinner dance. Some of his friends are unimpressed with Nessie and tell him so when Nessie is out of earshot. Danson dumps Nessie who goes on the rampage and destroys Glass-gow and Edinboro killing thousands of people who look like Groundskeeper Willie. Danson is sent by the head oceanographer to calm Nessie down. Nessie says she is very sorry. Danson wants to get back together but  Nessie fears another broken heart. Danson goes back to America, a broken man. The final scene is Nessie frolicking on the banks of Loch Ness with her babies, all of whom have human Danson heads. Fin.

I regret never seeing it now.

Also, to go along with Glass-Gauw and Edinborrow, I'd completely forgotten that the trailer pronounced the title "Lack Ness".

Edit: oh, I've never seen any of the Bourne films. Don't know why, as I quite like Matt Damon, and I even owned a box set of them all on Blu-Ray until recently. I think they ended up on the "I'll wait 'til I'm not busy or tired and can give this my full attention" pile and it just never happened. That particular pile is full of top-drawer films!

Edited by BFTD

2 hours ago, BFTD said:

Am I close?

No. He ends up pumping Nessie, marrying her and opening a B&B In Inversnecky.

Miguel with the winning admission so far, surely.

17 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

No. He ends up pumping Nessie, marrying her and opening a B&B In Inversnecky.

Again, likely a more interesting film than the final product.

Everyone wanting to see Sam from Cheers slinging it up a plesiosaur, apparently.

Edited by BFTD
Mullarkey