Let's All Laugh at the Royalist Nats and Greens

The_Kincardine

On 29/05/2022 at 19:55, Snafu said:

I've often wondered about the whole Scotland's oil or Scotland's gas, our energy debate?

I always thought it was about whom ever grants the contracts to the oil companies to drill on the sea bed in British waters. Is there such a thing as Scottish waters or Northern Irish waters or English waters outside being used in a geographic term?I mean if we are the United Kingdom then the waters off the coast are they not regarded similar?

These companies are beyond borders, they are global, they don't even need the UK or any North Sea or Atlantic oil in our waters. I doubt every much they would care if post independence that the UK Government outbid Scotland to drill for oil and gas a couple of hundred miles of our coast and employ workers in constructing drilling rigs on the English east coast and tow them up to the Forties or Cromarty sea beds to drill. Happens all over the world.

How far out into the North Sea or the Atlantic you think Scotland's ownership should extend after/if Independence?

Technically speaking it isn't British waters.  UK territorial waters extend 12 miles (I think) offshore.  The oil/gas is located further out in what is internationally recognised as the UK continental shelf.  It's recognised we have the rights to drill the seabed etc. in those areas but they aren't UK waters.

10 hours ago, git-intae-thum said:

Norway's people seem to have done quite well out of their oil resource......extracting less oil than has come out of Scottish waters.

Wonder what the difference between Norway and Scotland is🤔

Short answer is they invested their profits and we spent ours. 

The extraction split is pretty much even with UK being just ahead. 

4 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

UK Oil money was largely splurged on covering de-industrialisation and reorienting the economy around the City of London and it's infrastructure.

Short termism at it's finest.

2 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I haven't seen the figures, but given that the usual Tory mantra is usually along the lines of 'pay off debt, save and invest' British governments over the duration of the exploitation of North Sea oil and gas have been acting like lottery-winning alkies at a beer festival.

2 minutes ago, renton said:

UK Oil money was largely splurged on covering de-industrialisation and reorienting the economy around the City of London and it's infrastructure.

I was considering putting "spunked away" rather than "spent". 

Either way it's not some mystery. Not sure what was being alluded to by the OP. 

7 hours ago, renton said:

ScotchNattery in the 70s:  It's oor oil and get us tae f**k out of the EEC.
ScotchNattery in the 2020s:  We have no need for oil and we want to join the EU.

Short-termism, eh?

4 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

ScotchNattery in the 2020s:  We have no need for oil and we want to join the EU.

Short-termism, eh?

You are talking about a 50 year time frame. That's stretching the definition of 'short term' 

2 minutes ago, renton said:

You are talking about a 50 year time frame. That's stretching the definition of 'short term' 

I thought that when I posted it but  - in the lifetime of a 315-year old nation - I think it's fair.

1 hour ago, renton said:

5 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

Outrage as political party's position evolves over 50 years.

I know Kincy specifically cited the 70s but for a casual like myself it's clear the change has happened since 2014. Pre Indy ref there was a lot of discussion about are oil and how rich and Norway like we could be but over the last few years especially with the greens popularity this stuff has been put to the side until this particular clip reminded us of the uncertainty over what the SNP actually stand for. 

1 minute ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

I know Kincy specifically cited the 70s but for a casual like myself it's clear the change has happened since 2014. Pre Indy ref there was a lot of discussion about are oil and how rich and Norway like we could be but over the last few years especially with the greens popularity this stuff has been put to the side until this particular clip reminded us of the uncertainty over what the SNP actually stand for. 

I'm under the impression that SNP policy is no to any new fields being developed, not no to any oil. It's their usual broad church, try to keep everyone happy/not completely alienate anyone policy strategy, that more often that not leads to confusion.

I'm sure someone will be along to explain it to us.

I see that the leading party in the clown shoe senate in Embra is budgeting £20 million for a referendum that won't happen:

Given how cancerous the past 15 years have been for Scotland you'd think some Natwits would want to call a halt to this sort of nonsense.

4 minutes ago, Detective Jimmy McNulty said:

I'm under the impression that SNP policy is no to any new fields being developed, not no to any oil. It's their usual broad church, try to keep everyone happy/not completely alienate anyone policy strategy, that more often that not leads to confusion.

I'm sure someone will be along to explain it to us.

Aye I usually prefer to gauge my opinion on Twitter bams but this is also fair. 

Edited by Albus Bulbasaur

1 minute ago, git-intae-thum said:

Post independence it will interesting to see how this pans out. I suspect given the option, most households will choose to benefit Norway like from the 2nd half of North Sea wealth. This will necessitate exploration and drilling. 

There will be no 'post independence'.  Nippy is bag piping while Scotland burns.

1 hour ago, The_Kincardine said:

Short-termism, eh?

This is much more like it. 

I worried about you and your reaction to being drawn into a debate you were so obviously ill-equipped to come out of with anything less than what is now part of the public record.

This return to good old fashioned badinage is a relief and to be fair, you do have a point, why even the self styled Madame Ecosse can be found to have had  views that predate and are discordant with her popular latter day profile. In her defence, there were some strange characters around in those days and if I recall correctly William Wolfe had a thing or two to say in 1982. Thankfully much of Scotland has moved on.

I'm just glad Winnie was successful in obtaining such huge inward investment to the Highlands, in contrast to Forsyth and his miserly bridge tolls.

As for the march of European time, it has not been kind to Labour with them pinballing to all sorts of strategies with them now settling upon whatever the worst of the right wing of the Tories have delivered to them.

I'm happy to have the ambition to rejoin with our European friends and I know I'm not alone.

8 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Nippy is bag piping while Scotland burns.

How's the rUK getting on these days pal ? Biggest drop in living standards since 1956 is it ?

147% rise in foodbank use in the Tory county of Buckinghamshire.

https://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/news/19249787.bucks-food-banks-handed-almost-21-000-emergency-food-parcels-year/

But what about them tartan gonks in their shortbread senate huh ? 🤣 🇬🇧 🤣 🇬🇧 🤣 🇬🇧