Let's All Laugh at the Royalist Nats and Greens

The_Kincardine

5 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

I have indulged you with a few replies.  Sorry I did that given that statement.

I'm sorry that your feelings are so hurt by the mere mention of a future event.

Gonna be hard to deny when it happens tho.

3 minutes ago, Antlion said:

Is that how you excuse the racism and misogyny against women, Muslims and black people that your Twitter pals keep getting banned (or exposed in the papers) for?

Given who you’ve chosen to support and promote in the past, it appears you think that actual racism is A-OK but someone calling you a drunken c**t is not.

Buzzword central.

Surprised you didn't mention 'single motherphobia' again! 😂

22 minutes ago, Zern said:

No. British Unionism an artificial and ever changing term with regards to the UK.

It used to involve claiming the entirety of the island of Ireland. Then they kicked you lot out.

A large part of the 20th century involved the UK being ejected from lands claimed. That hasn't stopped as we entered the 21st.

Nothing lasts forever. And the union between Scotland and the rest of the UK is due for change.

I find the discussion on the nature of British Nationalism, Unionism or more properly English Nationalism in a Geri Halliwell dress fascinating.  I heard the former Moscow correspondent John Sweeney speak about this on a podcast recently.  He said that while he was a republican in his youth and was against the idea of the monarchy he has grown to appreciate the role of HM Lizzie. His point was that the Queen not only acted as a head of state but also embodied what is was to be British, provided a focal point for patriotism and essentially a political and functional dead end for the worst bits of the far right and classic English Nationalism.  Basically every notion of pride or national identity had to be viewed through the lense of "what would the Queen think of this" and "am I being a good enough loyal subject" when I do a nazi salute, or wreck a pavement cafe during the world cup in Nice or whatever.

I think there is something to that view tbh.  It is a useful shield, or flimsy cover to throw over the fact that this is a collection of islands deeply uneasy about its identity and certainly i find expressions of English national identity, pride, patriotism or whatever to be deeply confused and indistinct from that of British National identity. A sort of revolving door of national consciousness. 

I also find the idea, in this day and age especially, of needing to hide your insecurities and frankly embarrassingly diminished and quite grubby sense of national self worth behind a 95 year old woman in a hat, laughable, contemptible and kind of indicative of what a fucking lunatic shambles the UK is.

Edited by williemillersmoustache

2 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

General insults

At what point do your general insults shade over into shallow, lazy stereotyping and racism? I think you're pretty much there, unfortunately. Not much point clamouring for sensible discussion if you resort to "tartan gonk"ery.

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Is "Britain" a member of the united nations? Or is that the UK?

Britain is most definitely not a unitary nation, unless you deliberately ignore around 14000 sq km and 1.9m citizens

Unusually, it took you a while to show up, Gilpy.

As per, you needn't have bothered.

3 minutes ago, Albus Bulbasaur said:

Can you just confirm that you think me and Durie are the same poster? Because that is actually hilarious. You think that one person is simultaneously pretending to be as you say "reasonable" and one an SFP fan? I'm 29 years old and I'm pretty sure Durie is a wee bit older. Sounds a bit far fetched to me. 

I don't know the guy and I disagree with his views regarding that particular issue but some of you could seriously do with dialing down your paranoid aggression. 

Literally every topic of discussion seems to end with personal attacks and weird conspiracy style rants. 

I'm totally fine with people disagreeing with me and I usually enjoy reading other alternative opinions but this stuff is a bit too far gone for me. 

Exactly, it's absolutely normal for people to disagree.  I have friends of all persuasions who hold all sorts of views and we never fall out over it.

The cybernats on here are a real extreme breed though.  Their nastiness is beyond the pale.

3 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

At what point do your general insults shade over into shallow, lazy stereotyping and racism? I think you're pretty much there, unfortunately. Not much point clamouring for sensible discussion if you resort to "tartan gonk"ery.

I think we crossed that bridge a while ago, when he first started promoting banned extremists.

5 minutes ago, carpetmonster said:

So posted ‘just now’, instagreenied, and Albus isn’t on the ‘currently browsing’ list. Hmm. 

CC5FFADE-EBA2-4B38-AF5D-E24E8D1F9295.png

7D7C120A-44A8-4FE4-A493-ED132BB293CD.png

C5A9EEB9-1C36-4343-958F-83BFA8560FF5.png

I think you’re giving it a bit more attention than it deserves, tbh. One troll is banned and several pop up. Plus ça change. Talking to or about them seems to be what gets them off - not worth attending to.

ETA: charge your fucking phone, man!

56C854EE-B180-48FB-B6E5-321C446694AC.gif

Edited by Antlion

4 minutes ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

People who want to draw the tartan curtain across Britain from the Tweed to the Solway are imbeciles and those who support the incompetent and mendacious administration in Holyrood are brain dead.

If this makes me, "shallow, lazy stereotyping and racist" then I can live with that.

BTW you, like many others, use 'racist' against me.  Please report my racist posts.

6 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Unusually, it took you a while to show up, Gilpy.

As per, you needn't have bothered.

How about a response to the point I made, rather than an observation about me? I thought that you, AB & DAF wanted to debate rather than trade insults?

In case you've forgotten, I asked

Is "Britain" a member of the united nations? Or is that the UK?

Britain is most definitely not a unitary nation, unless you deliberately ignore around 14000 sq km and 1.9m citizens

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

People who want to draw the tartan curtain across Britain from the Tweed to the Solway are imbeciles and those who support the incompetent and mendacious administration in Holyrood are brain dead.

When you condemn a curtain being drawn across a border, you are condemning the UK which has done just that and which insists on that curtain remaining drawn. Why do you hate the UK so much?

1 minute ago, The_Kincardine said:

BTW you, like many others, use 'racist' against me.  Please report my racist posts.

No, I asked at what point do all your outpourings of bile against those who don't agree with your particular view shade into racism. I think you come close, whether deliberately or not, to out and out racist commentary.

1 minute ago, The Skelpit Lug said:

No, I asked at what point do all your outpourings of bile against those who don't agree with your particular view shade into racism. I think you come close, whether deliberately or not, to out and out racist commentary.

Go on.  Quote that.

9 minutes ago, williemillersmoustache said:

I find the discussion on the nature of British Nationalism, Unionism or more properly English Nationalism in a Geri Halliwell dress fascinating.  I heard the former Moscow correspondent John Sweeney speak about this on a podcast recently.  He said that while he was a republican in his youth and was against the idea of the monarchy he has grown to appreciate the role of HM Lizzie. His point was that the Queen not only acted as a head of state but also embodied what is was to be British, provided a focal point for patriotism and essentially a political and functional dead end for the worst bits of the far right and classic English Nationalism.  Basically every notion of pride or national identity had to be viewed through the lense of "what would the Queen think of this" and "am I being a good enough loyal subject" when I do a nazi salute, or wreck a pavement cafe during the world cup in Nice or whatever.

I think there is something to that view tbh.  It is a useful shield, or flimsy cover to throw over the fact that this is a collection of islands deeply uneasy about its identity and certainly i find expressions of English national identity, pride, patriotism or whatever to be deeply confused and indistinct from that of British National identity. A sort of revolving door of national consciousness. 

I also find the idea, in this day and age especially, of needing to hide your insecurities and frankly embarrassingly diminished and quite grubby self of national self worth behind a 95 year old woman in a hat, laughable, contemptible and kind of indicative of what a fucking lunatic shambles the UK is.

The idea of what qualifies as British has changed throughout the years. I think i have this correct when i say that it was coined as a term by John Dee, back when it was just England and Wales. As the UK developed the term changed, and changed again when the Empire grew. What were once "british" subjects are now Canadians, Jamaicans and Australians as that influence waned and withdrew. Throughout the majority of my life the term has explicitly excluded people who were Irish.

Exclusion appears to be its defining feature at present. Not helped with British Nationalism being nazi-adjacent. The do love to throw those nazi salutes. They can't help it apparently.

I don't think of myself as British. I'm Scottish and European.

Just now, The Skelpit Lug said:

Fair comment. Can referring to other nationalities by traditional dress - the Germans as Lederhosen gonks, or Indians as Sari gonks, or the Japanese as Kimono gonks, or the Senegalese as Kaftan gonks - be anything but racist? Sharing the Tweets of racists (and now misogynists) banned from Twitter is also pretty shameless.

7 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

Go on.  Quote that.

Erm, I think aligning yourself to some of the odious tweets by certain vile individuals could be construed as you being of that ilk, perhaps? 

ps you seem a wee bit angry for the Let's All Laugh... thread!

Edited by The Skelpit Lug

10 minutes ago, The_Kincardine said:

People who want to draw the tartan curtain across Britain from the Tweed to the Solway are imbeciles

So, the authors of the Acts of Union are imbeciles?

Amongst many other provisions, they ensured that different established churches and different legal systems were perpetuated north & south of the border. This "tartan curtain" is called "the border" for a reason

I see the usual suspects are still having difficulty with the idea of self-determination, a completely normal thing the world over.

I for one am looking forward to the Kalmar Union reforming, breaking down partitions and getting back behind one Monarchy.