Let's All Laugh at the Royalist Nats and Greens

The_Kincardine

6 minutes ago, Zern said:

Not raised the expected amounts is long way from disaster, sounds like a partial win.

Or they could follow Labour/Libdem policy and do nothing, or Tory policy and do less than nothing.

Are you criticising them for attempting to do something or are you saying they should go even further and get more control over fiscal policy and how it is managed and distributed?

The only partial win was the UK government reducing the tax shortfall from £621m to £309m.  You are the one making claims about what the income tax increases in Scotland have been used for whereas the reality is that the money budgeted by the government has failed to materilaise.

The net affect of the entire change to the tax bands and allowances has been a less than 1% increase in the tax take or approx £120m.  This doesn't even cover the funding for the Scottish Child Payments.

2 minutes ago, strichener said:

The only partial win was the UK government reducing the tax shortfall from £621m to £309m.  You are the one making claims about what the income tax increases in Scotland have been used for whereas the reality is that the money budgeted by the government has failed to materilaise.

The net affect of the entire change to the tax bands and allowances has been a less than 1% increase in the tax take or approx £120m.  This doesn't even cover the funding for the Scottish Child Payments.

And?

You alternative is missing.

So do nothing and gain nothing. How utterly asinine.

Btw i not a spokesperson for the SNP, Kenneth asked me to name some policies under Nicola and another poster arrives with laundry list of stuff, so i picked one to discuss what it was that was so objectionable.

It appears that even trying to do something is what is to be decried. God damn the SNP/Greens for trying?

6 hours ago, Crazy Days said:

So that is her sum total of success is it?

What about her other boasts, just to metion a few.

Closing the attainment gap

Education

Health Service

Cal Mac Ferries

Stopping early release

Drug Deaths

Scotrail

Police Scotland

Mentioning we are better than other parts of UK at every opportunity

Minimum pricing on alcohol

Highest Income tax in UK

Any other you wish to add?

Good shout.  But all these are happening as part of the UK system.

10 hours ago, strichener said:

Income tax devolution has been a disaster for the Scottish Government.  It has not raised the expected amounts and has left a massive budget hole.  Or maybe you missed the announcement of public sector cuts.

😂

11 minutes ago, Mr Heliums said:

People who keep screaming 'highest income tax in UK' never mention that Scotland also has the lowest rate of income tax in the UK.

Someone that earns the UK average full time wage in Scotland pays more in tax in Scotland.

1 hour ago, strichener said:

Someone that earns the UK average full time wage in Scotland pays more in tax in Scotland.

That's not the point I was making, which was that while it's true we have the highest rate, we also have the lowest. But that second part is never mentioned.

I'm absolutely ok with having a higher tax rate for moral reasons (not to mention what we get in compensation in Scotland). And I'm also pleased our less well off pay less tax. It's something we should be proud of.

1 hour ago, Mr Heliums said:

That's not the point I was making, which was that while it's true we have the highest rate, we also have the lowest. But that second part is never mentioned.

That's because the average tax income tax bill is higher hence the focus on the higher rate.

The income tax policy has been a failure fiscally.  Only the SNP cult would argue otherwise.  Higher taxes and less income.  Hmmm.

3 minutes ago, strichener said:

That's because the average tax income tax bill is higher hence the focus on the higher rate.

The income tax policy has been a failure fiscally.  Only the SNP cult would argue otherwise.  Higher taxes and less income.  Hmmm.

Didn't you say it raised £120 million?

I find myself wondering if those discussing any particular income tax rates in Scotland are comparing like with like.  Mrs Salt and Vinegar and your humble servant are retied (early!). We both receive free prescriptions, have had free bus travel since we were 60 and our younger lad had a tuition-free BSc at a Scottish University. My wife also receives an enhanced carers' allowance for our younger lad. 

I'm certainly not saying that these aspects are tie-breakers, but they do, to me suggest a different Scottish viewpoint on important issues and there's little point in analysing costs without also taking account of what you are "buying". 

28 minutes ago, Salt n Vinegar said:

I find myself wondering if those discussing any particular income tax rates in Scotland are comparing like with like.  Mrs Salt and Vinegar and your humble servant are retied (early!). We both receive free prescriptions, have had free bus travel since we were 60 and our younger lad had a tuition-free BSc at a Scottish University. My wife also receives an enhanced carers' allowance for our younger lad. 

I'm certainly not saying that these aspects are tie-breakers, but they do, to me suggest a different Scottish viewpoint on important issues and there's little point in analysing costs without also taking account of what you are "buying". 

Yeah, but apart from the free prescriptions, enhanced NHS, free further education, increase in family benefits, the increase of the voting franchise, the national  investments, the stolen baby boxes, the redistribution of incomes...

WHAT HAS THE SNP EVER DONE FOR US!

36 minutes ago, Zern said:

Yeah, but apart from the free prescriptions, enhanced NHS, free further education, increase in family benefits, the increase of the voting franchise, the national  investments, the stolen baby boxes, the redistribution of incomes...

WHAT HAS THE SNP EVER DONE FOR US!

No more bridge tolls.

2 hours ago, Zern said:

Didn't you say it raised £120 million?

Yes I did, the two statements are not contradictory.  Less refers to the amount that was projected to be raised.  The £120m should have been nearer £300m when wage inflation was taken into account.

4 minutes ago, strichener said:

Yes I did, the two statements are not contradictory.  Less refers to the amount that was projected to be raised.  The £120m should have been nearer £300m when wage inflation was taken into account.

Okay, but would a business that was project to make £300 million in profit and declared £120 million instead be regarded as a failure?

A failure would be a policy that posted a net loss or generated zero returns.

3 minutes ago, Zern said:

Okay, but would a business that was project to make £300 million in profit and declared £120 million instead be regarded as a failure?

A failure would be a policy that posted a net loss or generated zero returns.

Yes.  They’d be forced to issue profits warnings and their share price would tank.