Let's All Laugh at the Royalist Nats and Greens

The_Kincardine

53 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

FWIW I think Albus Bulbasaur is quite a good username. It's a shame it had to be wasted on this person(a).

Harsh. My positions are generally despicable centrist opinions but other than that they're very reasonable. My only crime is being sucked into silly puerile online arguments where nobody comes out looking good.  

I just wish that everyone could stick with the same names, including mods. Unless you're banned obviously, in which case don't post the same boring shite that got you banned the last time.

Edited by welshbairn

On 01/05/2022 at 06:42, Ad Lib said:

No it isn’t and no it doesn’t. It is a union state (not a unitary state) and it’s a constitutional policy choice who gets to make any decisions.

I know that you like to bluster, mate, but if you think Britain isn't a unitary nation you should resign from your job.

2 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

I know that you like to bluster, mate, but if you think Britain isn't a unitary nation you should resign from your job.

Britain is and always has been a union state, not a unitary state, because its founding Treaty recognised, from the outset, continued asymmetry and special arrangements for its constituent nations, including their legal systems and established churches.

Politically, it even less resembles a unitary state than it ever has precisely because of devolution and the sub-state democratic mandates on which those three systems of devolution are based.

Go and read some Neil Walker, some Michael Keating too, in fact pretty much any respectable constitutional lawyer or British political scientist from the last sixty years, then get back to me.

2 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Britain is and always has been a union state, not a unitary state

Indeed not.  Britain is the apotheosis of a unitary state.  That's what the entire A of U is all about.

As for devolution?  Always the gift of Westminster.  "Power devolved is power retained".

I don't have to go and read anything.  You clearly misunderstand Britain's constitutional settlement.  This is no surprise.

10 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

7 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

Britain is and always has been a union state, not a unitary state, because its founding Treaty recognised, from the outset, continued asymmetry and special arrangements for its constituent nations, including their legal systems and established churches.

Politically, it even less resembles a unitary state than it ever has precisely because of devolution and the sub-state democratic mandates on which those three systems of devolution are based.

Go and read some Neil Walker, some Michael Keating too, in fact pretty much any respectable constitutional lawyer or British political scientist from the last sixty years, then get back to me.

5 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

Indeed not.  Britain is the apotheosis of a unitary state.  That's what the entire A of U is all about.

As for devolution?  Always the gift of Westminster.  "Power devolved is power retained".

I don't have to go and read anything.  You clearly misunderstand Britain's constitutional settlement.  This is no surprise.

This is a tricky one. 

Do I take on board the opinions of someone who's literally studied this material in presumably considerable depth for years, OR do we go with the inane 2am ramblings of an angry (and probably half-pished) bigot?

What to do.