Some questions about the Lowland League.

6 minutes ago, Shanner said:

I'll take this as a "yes" and move on. 

It's the usual response whenever talk of BSC/Broomhill and getting a ground closer to Glasgow comes up. "Have they thought about Scotstoun? Have they tried Scotstoun? What about Scotstoun? They could try Scotstoun? Why aren't they at Scotstoun? What's stopping them doing something at Scotstoun?"

8 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's the usual response whenever talk of BSC/Broomhill and getting a ground closer to Glasgow comes up. "Have they thought about Scotstoun? Have they tried Scotstoun? What about Scotstoun? They could try Scotstoun? Why aren't they at Scotstoun? What's stopping them doing something at Scotstoun?"

Oh I know what it was, I'm just bemused that the word Scotstoun is so upsetting, especially given that I acknowledged that it wasn't an option.  

1 hour ago, Bankies Alive said:

They did enquire about land in Victoria Park beside Broomhill but AFAIK they got knocked back.There was opposition and there were people who wanted to turn the land into an orchard 🤷‍♂️

I doubt that was ever going to happen TBH - the area behind Vicky Park is Jordanhill rather than Broomhill, which itself is just a few streets the other side of Crow Road that isn't really a distinct district, more the no-man's-land between Hyndland and Whiteinch.

Jordanhill is very leafy, very affluent and also very organised when they hear of a potential development they don't want. I imagine a football stadium in their backyard would come into that category.

15 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I doubt that was ever going to happen TBH - the area behind Vicky Park is Jordanhill rather than Broomhill, which itself is just a few streets the other side of Crow Road that isn't really a distinct district, more the no-man's-land between Hyndland and Whiteinch.

Jordanhill is very leafy, very affluent and also very organised when they hear of a potential development they don't want. I imagine a football stadium in their backyard would come into that category.

It's why i'm still bemused they went with Broomhill as a name, rather than the generic Caledonian Braves type option. Something that could be plugged in anywhere.

Maybe they were disappointed Glasgow United got taken just before they had to change their name :)

2 hours ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Shame as well. The idea wasn't bad. If a pyramid was to grow (as it has) I liked the idea of youth or amateur clubs stepping up into it. Ye could forgive them for temporarily heading out of the city when (if?) the long term plan was to return and to give an avenue for young players but whether by circumstance or design it's all went to tits and they just seem like money grabbing chancers now. 

I think they seem to have a history of fucking off everywhere in the city they either tried to share with or did share with. So its more that they acted like diddies which in this case makes criticism of the decision to become bsc alloa legitimate.

22 hours ago, FairWeatherFan said:

They needed a ground that would meeting licencing standards. It was the nearest senior plastic pitch that didn't already have a groundshare. The Juniors options kind of ran out. Ashfield wasn't going to meet licencing. They left on bad terms with Maryhill by most accounts. Then there was meant to be an attempt to get in at Petershill that never went anywhere.

They've failed to get different projects off the ground for their own place or other non-football facilities. Which is why the youth club has split off from them having given up on getting a ground that would meet licencing standards within Glasgow.

Change their name to Third Lanark and move into Lesser  Hampden with QP. Not the first club to wear the Emperors clothes. 

22 hours ago, Shanner said:

That's been rumbling on for years and the bit of ground in question is still used for nothing more than dog walking. 😀

It's a pity they can't share Scotstoun with  the Rugby gimps. It must be up to standard and it's as close to Broomhill as they're going to get.  

Warriors would always have first call on it and it would be prohibitively expensive for a team that get pretty small crowds ( I assume ). 

Would it be any more expensive than Alloa?

Glesga has enough clubs. They don't have a history or fan base to upset but they do have a position in the Lowland League which would be attractive to a lot of places. They had an affiliation with a youth club that fizzled out but what's stopping them creating a new one with another amateur or youth team? Third Lanark isn't an awful idea (but bandied about just as much as Scotstoun). Places like Bearsden, Erksine, Helensburgh have a decent sized population. Why not look to move there and find a club to mooch in with.

33 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Would it be any more expensive than Alloa?

Glesga has enough clubs. They don't have a history or fan base to upset but they do have a position in the Lowland League which would be attractive to a lot of places. They had an affiliation with a youth club that fizzled out but what's stopping them creating a new one with another amateur or youth team? Third Lanark isn't an awful idea (but bandied about just as much as Scotstoun). Places like Bearsden, Erksine, Helensburgh have a decent sized population. Why not look to move there and find a club to mooch in with.

Bearsden would be a non-starter for identical reasons as I described above with Jordanhill...those leafy established middle class areas can mobilise and organise very effectively when there's a proposed development they don't agree with. The area's happy enough to have West of Scotland play rugby there and tolerate Milngavie Wanderers playing up at Staney Brig in the middle of nowhere, but I'd imagine even a small actual football stadium being planned in the area would have the various residents' committees and so on lose their collective shit.

Edited by Hillonearth

10 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

Bearsden would be a non-starter for identical reasons as I described above with Jordanhill...those leafy established middle class areas can mobilise and organise very effectively when there's a proposed development they don't agree with. The area's happy enough to have West of Scotland play rugby there and tolerate Milngavie Wanderers playing up at Staney Brig in the middle of nowhere, but I'd imagine even a small actual football stadium being planned in the area would have the various residents' committees and so on lose their collective shit.

As seen by...

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/19566353.residents-win-battle-stop-st-cadocs-crookfur-park-plans/

On 23/09/2021 at 14:34, energyzone said:

Why does Rod Petrie have a vested interest in abolishing the North/South border? I'm aware Brechin City were hoping to move to the Lowland League but they surely can't have that much influence when lobbying the SFA/SPFL for a change to the 

The HL and the two Angus clubs closest to the bottom of the spfl may also be quietly lobbying Petrie in the background. While Brechin are now in the HL, the HL faces the prospect say over the next 5 years of maybe Forfar and Montrose dropping down, plus a number of ambitious Dundee/Tayside based clubs coming up from the Midland League who even compared to Brechin means another hours commute south for the current HL clubs. Plus most people expect the standard of the LL to only improve with big clubs coming up from the WoS and EoS so less chance of a HL club going up into the SPFL. After Fort William drop out the HL, that means a high probability of a number of long established HL clubs will need relegated into the North Juniors or Caledonia league to make way for these Tayside and Angus clubs coming into the HL. So you can maybe see why the HL may still be keen for the rule to change allowing clubs to choose if LL/HL on the assumption that most if not all the spfl and Midland league clubs in the area would choose the LL.

Edited by morley

Was there not a Bearsden club who were supposed to be appearing in Division 4 this year but had to pull put due to being unable to find an adequate ground?
Westerton United. The story iirc was they thought they had secured a ground share but then circumstances changed. Zero idea who the proposed share was with.

10 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Was there not a Bearsden club who were supposed to be appearing in Division 4 this year but had to pull put due to being unable to find an adequate ground?

They currently play at Boclair Academy which is a classic 3G cage - I feel like that would have been OK for WoSFL level so the reason they pulled out might not have been ground related.

I agree with the above post that there's not much change of a licensed football stadium being built in Bearsden - there are several potential sites but it would be curtailed by NIMBYism. I'd say the only chance would be working with Glasgow University to build something at Garscube - both clubs could use that.

Edited by craigkillie

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Westerton United. The story iirc was they thought they had secured a ground share but then circumstances changed. Zero idea who the proposed share was with.

Funnily enough they actually approached us before the new sides were announced - there was no mention of an actual groundshare though, just an informal "how much to rent your park?" - assumed it was a start-up ammy team as I'd never heard of them.

We'd already got wind that the start of the season was going to be two games a week, so we said no and that was the last we heard of them until the new names were announced.

1 hour ago, GNU_Linux said:
1 hour ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

Glasgow Uni I think?