Attacking Football

I've been taking an interest in how Celtic, Aberdeen and Norwich City are doing mostly because they have many several players in the national team. They are coincidentally all teams trying to play 'an attacking brand of football'  and just recently all three are going through a tough spell in terms of result and now the brand of football doesn't seem so important. 

Winning Attacking Football > Winning Turgid Football > Losing Attacking Football > Losing Turgid Football.

Edited by 2426255

I used to love Kevin Keegan's Newcastle side - it was pretty much all-out attack - Gillespie on the right, Ginola on the left, Beardsley bombing forward - one of the centre backs was essentially a midfield player - full backs getting forward - strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand, and Asprilla - probably could have done with a better goalie. 

They were brilliant to watch, but, ultimately, won f**k-all.

Newcastle fans probably would have settled for less excitement if it meant winning something that season.

However, I reckon Newcastle fans would be much happier with what they had then than what they've had since. 

In practical terms, though, most fans would rather watch turgid utilitarian football and win than fail with thrilling football. 

1 hour ago, 2426255 said:

I've been taking an interest in how Celtic, Aberdeen and Norwich City are doing mostly because they have many several players in the national team. They are coincidentally all teams trying to play 'an attacking brand of football'  and just recently all three are going through a tough spell in terms of result and now the brand of football doesn't seem so important. 

Winning Attacking Football > Winning Turgid Football > Losing Football.

FTFY

Was speaking with a mate in the pub about Norwich the other night. Norwich have the strength, and resources to build a team capable of playing Farke's style in the Championship, and executing it well. But they're just not good enough to do it in the PL. Unless they get bought over by a tycoon, the only way Norwich will become an established PL side over time, is ultimately if Farke changes his approach, or they boot him for someone a bit more pragmatic. 

Great to see so many managers who like to play attacking styles, but there's a reason why only the top teams are really that good at pulling it off.

10 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Was speaking with a mate in the pub about Norwich the other night. Norwich have the strength, and resources to build a team capable of playing Farke's style in the Championship, and executing it well. But they're just not good enough to do it in the PL. Unless they get bought over by a tycoon, the only way Norwich will become an established PL side over time, is ultimately if Farke changes his approach, or they boot him for someone a bit more pragmatic. 

Great to see so many managers who like to play attacking styles, but there's a reason why only the top teams are really that good at pulling it off.

Indeed, they just can’t cut the mustard at the top level.

• 4 weeks later...

You might put Fulham in this category, they look great going forward and have currently scored more goals than anyone else in the Championship, but have conceded as many as some of the bottom half sides. Easy to see why they’ve yo-yo’d with promotion to and relegation from, the top flight in the last few seasons,

On 22/09/2021 at 13:09, paranoid android said:

I used to love Kevin Keegan's Newcastle side - it was pretty much all-out attack - Gillespie on the right, Ginola on the left, Beardsley bombing forward - one of the centre backs was essentially a midfield player - full backs getting forward - strikers like Shearer, Ferdinand, and Asprilla - probably could have done with a better goalie. 

They were brilliant to watch, but, ultimately, won f**k-all.

Newcastle fans probably would have settled for less excitement if it meant winning something that season.

However, I reckon Newcastle fans would be much happier with what they had then than what they've had since. 

In practical terms, though, most fans would rather watch turgid utilitarian football and win than fail with thrilling football. 

Agreed. As a neutral that Newcastle side were brilliant to watch. They featured in classic games like the 4-3 against Liverpool. It’s a crying shame that team never won anything, they had so much talent and flair. But being on the losing side of classic games isn’t great and in the end it leads to this.

54A24DAC-D546-44BD-BB2C-96917C0DCD4A.jpeg

Edited by Scary Bear

Agreed. As a neutral that Newcastle side were brilliant to watch. They featured in classic games like the 4-3 against Liverpool. It’s a crying shame that team never won anything, they had so much talent and flair. But being on the losing side of classic games isn’t great and in the end it leads to this.
54A24DAC-D546-44BD-BB2C-96917C0DCD4A.jpeg.a285e6df3e9f01fd2ad389c5e659d18a.jpeg
Saying that, i’d always prefer a team like Newcastle if they could just get over the line and win things.

Nah, f**k Newcastle. I've disliked them for years and I expect in a couple of years folk will be jumping on my bandwagon...

On 17/10/2021 at 15:36, 19QOS19 said:

Nah, f**k Newcastle. I've disliked them for years and I expect in a couple of years folk will be jumping on my bandwagon...

I’m not a Newcastle fan but I appreciated that vintage of Newcastle as they were the football purists dream.

On 22/09/2021 at 12:27, 2426255 said:

Winning Attacking Football > Winning Turgid Football > Losing Attacking Football > Losing Turgid Football.

I think realistically most fans are looking for a mixture of styles.

There were times under Robinson where Motherwell were doing the 'winning turgid football' but by God was it brutal on the eye.  And sitting out in a bleak Scottish winter to watch it didn't help.

It's all about balance really.  No one is going to complain about 1-0 hoofball wins 3 or 4 times a season but if it's the only type of win then in my opinion you don't get much out of it.  The same would apply to playing good football and not winning.

At the end of the day you don't just go to football to see wins.  If that was the case I'd probably not be a Motherwell and there would be better places to take in my football.  You want to see entertainment, skills, young players coming through, dramatic moments, rivalry and a myriad of other factors.

3 minutes ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

I think realistically most fans are looking for a mixture of styles.

There were times under Robinson where Motherwell were doing the 'winning turgid football' but by God was it brutal on the eye.  And sitting out in a bleak Scottish winter to watch it didn't help.

It's all about balance really.  No one is going to complain about 1-0 hoofball wins 3 or 4 times a season but if it's the only type of win then in my opinion you don't get much out of it.  The same would apply to playing good football and not winning.

At the end of the day you don't just go to football to see wins.  If that was the case I'd probably not be a Motherwell and there would be better places to take in my football.  You want to see entertainment, skills, young players coming through, dramatic moments, rivalry and a myriad of other factors.

That still doesn't explain why you're a Motherwell fan...