Big, Horrible Motherwell vs County - 25/09/2021

Fair play to Lamie, came in today and played well. Excellent ball to Watt for the winner. 

I see Jordan White still inexplicably falls on his arse 73 times a game. Thank f**k we got rid. 

I said pre match I thought we'd hand out a doing if Watt & van Veen turned up. I felt Watt put in a shift and deserved his goal, but Kev was poor today. Hopefully just one of those days and he's back on top form next week. 

Callum Slattery is very, very good at football. 

Hungbo was rubbish, but he looked happy to be out there

Must’ve been watching a different Hungbo than me. Got past his man near enough every time and either picked out a pass/cross or got a shot. May have had a penalty too but need to see it back before making judgement on that.

From a county perspective, thought we played very well and plenty cause for optimism. Same old pish with two shit goals killing us. I’m not too concerned as we’re creating chances and I do think we did generally defend well, but of course points are what matters and we need to start getting some on the board (stating the obvious I know.)

On another note, thought the mince pie at Motherwell was very decent today.

Now have the same number of wins after 7 games this season as we were sat on after 23 games last season. 

But aye, not great today. Think we saw the limitations of O’Hara and Grimshaw in the same midfield. Shame Goss wasn’t available but thought we regained a bit more composure when Donnelly came on to help the ever impressive Slattery.

Don’t think the front 3 really clicked or played particularly well today but at least one of them has now scored in every league game so far this season. You have that goal sort of goal threat and you’ve always got a chance. Was Tony’s turn(again) today and it looks like he’s finally adding a consistent goal return to his considerable other qualities. 

Overall, not a great performance but it felt like a massive 3 points in a game I think a lot of us thought we might slip up in. 

Edited by Casagolda

I thought that was a grim watch for the most part - but you can't argue with the start to the season we're having and at least it was two really high quality goals that won it for us.

I wonder if getting that goal so early was a bad thing  for us - we gradually fell out of things and County dominated the game for the most part. I know they are near the bottom of the league now but they look a decent outfit and the main problem for them may be that the league is relatively strong this year (and the fact they didn't score more than one with a lot of decent openings).

For us, playing yet another defense wasn't helpful and I felt more than ever that we need something different in midfield to give some backup to Slattery (although I thought Donnelly changed things for the better when he came on). It felt like we were just shelling the ball aimlessy forward too much today (and it's little wonder KVV had his poorest game as I can't think of  a decent pass in his direction all day.

Although we're sitting 3rd overnight, the most pleasing thing for me is the fact that we've got a double-digit cushion over the bottom of the league already - that's a tough advantage to give away.

I'm always cautious about going mad on referees but that guy today was fucking awful (and not all against us) - he was never really in control and once players had worked out that a massive, obvious shirt pull was fine and dandy, they did that quite a lot.

Grimshaw and O’Donnell seemed to have a real hard time dealing with every County attack that came down their side, not quick enough to close players down, knew if the goal was coming then it’d be from that side.

Not convinced with County’s penalty shout but definitely calling for it if it’s the other way around.

Van Veen singled out pre-match, appeared as if a County player was permanently attached to his shirt.

Seemed to relentlessly go with high balls to Watt who was surrounded with 3 players meanwhile we had O’Donnell and Woolery free on the other side, Watt switched over for a moment and we got the winner. County played well, made it a really frustrating game to watch.

After Airdrie/Dundee, over the moon to be sitting 3rd and only 2 points off 1st.

I thought Lamie was poor particularly in the first half, there was evidence last year that he needs a run in the team to i prove his performances so this season a couple of games on the bench and his performance drops.

Then he played that pass……

Hungbo is a bit like the lad who played for Aberdeen against us. He's raw, but there's talent. 

We'll play worse than that and win. Gutted, but trying to take the positives. Outplayed Motherwell for a decent chunk of the game away and got undone by awful defensive decision making and a good finish.

I agree that we scored too early.  After 10 minutes we hadn’t scored again and we seemed to look to slow the game down. Impetus gone and Ross County took advantage. We struggled through the middle part of the game but controlled the last 10 minutes.

Credit to County much better than their league position Cooke and Alston the standouts. We were superb for first 10 then struggled afterwards. As Ga said post match we would’ve lost that game last season. Special mention to Tony who is just the perfect fit for us works hard,wins fouls and can finish. Reminds me of wee dougie.