Sons V Alloa

The incident at the end was very strange especially as I didn't think the abuse towards the manager or team was bad today. 

Not sure what triggered Ferguson to react like he did but takes a bit of guts to confront fans. Wonder if one of the players said something to him. 

Was never particularly happy with the appointment but we are doing much better in the league than I expected. 

Would have settled for a point before the game. Thought we were the better team in the first half and Dumbarton were better n the second half although think we sat back. 

Edited by Magic Hat

Thought Niang was the best player on the pitch tbh, so big and strong he's just made for this league. Nothing else Alloa had scared me. That said, we had numerous excellent balls into the box and nobody to put them in. Orsi does a hell of a lot of work but he's not a penalty box striker, probably the only thing we're missing. Encouraged again though, Faz is taking us in the right direction.

‘Square go’ being branded about a bit much, no?

‘I just want to talk to the fans’ and ‘support the team’ were the calls I heard. Didn’t hear anyone ask anyone for a fight. Bizarre scenes. Like said above, not much abuse or negativity from fans today. Unless I’ve missed something. Maybe being brewing for a few games, however. 

6 minutes ago, KierenAAFC said:

‘Square go’ being branded about a bit much, no?

‘I just want to talk to the fans’ and ‘support the team’ were the calls I heard. Didn’t hear anyone ask anyone for a fight. Bizarre scenes. Like said above, not much abuse or negativity from fans today. Unless I’ve missed something. Maybe being brewing for a few games, however. 

Square go was used in my instance after speaking to your fellow fans after the game. One fan said that was the second or third time Ferguson had told them to f**k off. If thats inaccurate fair enough, its still a bizarre reaction to a draw and it certainly seemed like Ferguson was having a go. 

3 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Square go was used in my instance after speaking to your fellow fans after the game. One fan said that was the second or third time Ferguson had told them to f**k off. If thats inaccurate fair enough, its still a bizarre reaction to a draw and it certainly seemed like Ferguson was having a go. 

Aye, totally agree that it was a bizarre reaction. Nobody would’ve batted an eyelid if he went off and we walked away with a point. Would take that. There was very little negativity today at the game or abuse/boos as players went off.

Just felt it was all a bit unnecessary from both parties. Happens all the time though with managers up and down the pyramid, it’ll just be escalated and steal headlines. Not that the game had many! 

Well that wasn't a great look for the club at all. On both sides things went far to far. Me and a couple of others stood and waited and wanted to get a calm chat with Barry. He came out 10 minutes after the game and stood for easily 30 minutes and was in no rush to get away. He agreed he shouldn't have come running over and should have approached the situation in a better way but he wears his heart on his sleeve and it was a build up of some ridiculous shouts the past few weeks to his players that caused him to approach the fans, again said he wished he wish he approached it differently. He says that him and the team feel that an element of the support has been so negative and can't wait to jump on the players back said that other managers have commented how supportive and encouraging our supporters are but he hasn't really felt that the first few months together. He wants everyone to be singing off the same hymn sheet and going in the same direction. Thinks the negative attitude has affected players and he is determined to change that. He also said we are in and around challenging for the league and he thinks the team will only get better the more they play together as they have had a good turnaround of players In the summer. He said he takes responsibility for the changes but he lives and dies by his decisions but the support need to give it time and make their judgements in the later part of the season as he's confident the club will be up there at the business end of the season. I brought up the lack of communication with no pre or post match interviews and that the supporters feel like he doesn't feel like he needs to communicate with us and he said this is absolutely not the case and he is very surprised the club have never asked him to do this and he is going to insist to the club that this changes( I have volunteered myself to do this as @LeodhasXD is far to busy and doesn't have the time). The last thing he said to me was he absolutely expects shouts and a bit of stick If he gets things wrong but his players will always give 100% for the club so he hopes the fans can give them 100% backing.

A really absorbing game that, and the draw was probably fair overall.  I seldom criticise referees but 20 Alloa fouls and no yellow cards is an odd situation.
That's what I was referring to with my halftime post suggesting a red card could happen. The referee was letting lots ot niggly fouls go unpunished and the Dumbarton players would have been simmering given no bookings were given to any of the Alloa players.

I went along to this today as I didn’t fancy trekking up to Cove (a good choice in the end). I thought it was a really enjoyable game, both teams lacked a bit of quality in the final third but there was plenty of effort and intent from both sides. There wasn’t anything particularly aggressive about either team, just a lot of low key Alloa fouls really, but it always felt like we were one bad tackle away from things spilling over. I suppose there’s always the risk of that when David Hutton’s on the pitch to be fair.

I didn’t think there was too much in the first half, Alloa were probably a bit fortunate to go in a goal up but Boyd took his goal well. Dumbarton certainly looked the more threatening side in the second half and had a couple of decent attempts outside of the goal but never really created any particularly great chances. Alloa were organised and compact but rarely threatened after going ahead. It was pretty much the opposite of our game against Alloa last week, where Alloa had loads of the ball but no real idea what to do with it after Gallagher’s early goal.

I thought McKee was pretty disappointing, he had some nice touches but he’s wasted out wide. Ross MacLean was very involved when he came on but his finishing was really poor. Pigantello impressed me in midfield too, won the ball back consistently and looked to build play from there. 

I have to agree with @The Moonsterabout Niang. Almost everything positive about Alloa came through him today. He’s perfect for this league, strong, good on the ball and always looking to get in opponents faces. Robertson had a steady enough game but if Alloa are able to improve on Adam King, who I feel is the clear weak link in there, with someone a bit more creative then that would be a very strong midfield.

I’m disappointed I left right at full time now and missed the Barry Ferguson scenes at the end.

Glad to hear Barry came out after things had settled a bit. Seems a progressive chat. Hope the fans who had left before that, and were disgruntled, get a chance to read that post, Liam.

Does at times feel like everyone is against him from the get-go, doesn’t help himself at times. We are far from being totally on point though. It’s not even the second quarter yet.

The last manager I remember running over to confront the fans in the stand was Jack Ross at St Mirren so the gaffer's in good company.

I missed anything negative today, but I've heard plenty in other games. Should go without saying: Don't be a dick (and especially don't be a dick to the folk you want to be winning games for you.) 

I missed the post match 'action' kicking off because of packing up and only caught the tail end of the post match interview but everything seemed calmed by the time I made it outside. Not sure the stewarding helped the situation - but that's the objective at the end to clear the stadium asap.

I think that's my piece on that, I feel like it's been blown a bit out of proportion.To go back to the game... How good is Sena? When you say to me how we will replace a player like Steven Hetherington... and you give me him. My mind is blown. Noone tell Partick Thistle he's any good, hopefully we can keep him all season.

Niggly fouls were a big problem today it seemed like an onslaught at times in the second half because any time we made it up to the half way line, we gave away a foul, and while we looked mostly comfortable dealing with them, it's only a matter of time before the opposition gets the break of the ball and that proved to be the case. 

As first halves go though, that's exactly how I'd like to see us. Where at Airdrie we were tidy but with no threat we turned that around at Dumbarton and they were the ones who didn't look like scoring but anytime we went up the park we looked dangerous.

6 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

The last manager I remember running over to confront the fans in the stand was Jack Ross at St Mirren so the gaffer's in good company.

Classing Barry F as comparable to Jack Ross as a manager, in any way, is beyond ridiculous.

Thought we deserved the lead at half-time but Dumbarton definitely deserved at least a point based off the 2nd half. The equaliser was coming and given they had a couple of free headers from corners before the goal, was no surprise that’s where the goal came from. 

Spot on from others about our niggly fouls in the 2nd half stopping us getting up the pitch, although it seemed to get to the stage where all we had to do was breathe on a Son’s player and they would go down - think both sides would agree it was a pretty terrible performance from the referee. 

As for what happened after the final whistle, embarrassing how Ferguson and Calum Wood handled themselves. I commented about the shouts towards Hutton being out of order after the Cowdenbeath game (and I could have understood BF doing something like today after that one tbh) but I cannot recall a single piece of abuse being directed towards an Alloa player today. To run across insinuating there had been, and that the fans weren’t supporting the team was out of line. 

He actually had an opportunity today to have a bit of an open discussion with the fans (in a similar manner to how it appears he did later after the game) but running over and shouting towards the stand just got everyone’s backs up immediately - both sides are always going to go on the defensive when that happens and that caused it to escalate.

Rightly or wrongly he has been up against it with the fans as soon as he came in - I will freely admit I did not want him anywhere near the club, but he’s there and it doesn’t change in the slightest how I support the team - but that’s the situation he found himself in and it’s up to him to ‘change hearts and minds’ and win over the fans, behaving like he did today isn’t the way to do that. 

I also understand the spiel around giving the team time and that we are only in the early stages of the season, but coming in and starting with defeats to Cowdenbeath and Brechin in the cup has meant the pressure has been on him right from the word go - ultimately he is judged on his results so those two are on him the same way the wins like against Falkirk, where he was rightly praised by many, are. 

26 minutes ago, printer said:

Classing Barry F as comparable to Jack Ross as a manager, in any way, is beyond ridiculous.

Totally agree. Ross is a complete class apart, has managed massive clubs on small budgets and been successfull in integrating youth. 

On another point fair play to the manager, if he's made a fool of himself at least he's reflected and came out to explain himself. Good PR exercise.

20 minutes ago, Kevchenko said:

Thought we deserved the lead at half-time but Dumbarton definitely deserved at least a point based off the 2nd half. The equaliser was coming and given they had a couple of free headers from corners before the goal, was no surprise that’s where the goal came from. 

Spot on from others about our niggly fouls in the 2nd half stopping us getting up the pitch, although it seemed to get to the stage where all we had to do was breathe on a Son’s player and they would go down - think both sides would agree it was a pretty terrible performance from the referee. 

As for what happened after the final whistle, embarrassing how Ferguson and Calum Wood handled themselves. I commented about the shouts towards Hutton being out of order after the Cowdenbeath game (and I could have understood BF doing something like today after that one tbh) but I cannot recall a single piece of abuse being directed towards an Alloa player today. To run across insinuating there had been, and that the fans weren’t supporting the team was out of line. 

He actually had an opportunity today to have a bit of an open discussion with the fans (in a similar manner to how it appears he did later after the game) but running over and shouting towards the stand just got everyone’s backs up immediately - both sides are always going to go on the defensive when that happens and that caused it to escalate.

Rightly or wrongly he has been up against it with the fans as soon as he came in - I will freely admit I did not want him anywhere near the club, but he’s there and it doesn’t change in the slightest how I support the team - but that’s the situation he found himself in and it’s up to him to ‘change hearts and minds’ and win over the fans, behaving like he did today isn’t the way to do that. 

I also understand the spiel around giving the team time and that we are only in the early stages of the season, but coming in and starting with defeats to Cowdenbeath and Brechin in the cup has meant the pressure has been on him right from the word go - ultimately he is judged on his results so those two are on him the same way the wins like against Falkirk, where he was rightly praised by many, are. 

👏👏👏👏well said mate