Irn Bru Firm v The Bloo Toon

Big one for the QP as we need a win to keep us ahead of the pack after a couple of draws. It would be good to bang in some goals too; we're relying on the defence too often.

It'll be interesting to see if the recent signings start; I'd certainly like someone up front with the Ginga Ninja. We're definitely looking a more powerful outfit but we need to be converting pressure into goals.

Home win, 2-0.

Edited by Hampden Diehard

In my opinion Saturday was the first black mark against Laurie Ellis name since he took over as head coach with both the team selection and general passiveness on the sideline. He wasn’t helped though by several poor performances from players who are capable of much better.  

Luca Connell has to start on Saturday (he should have been straight in really) along with at least one of Smith and Longstaff. Bob Mchugh was given another chance against Clyde and fluffed his lines once again.

I presume Lee Kilday wasn’t fully fit on Saturday but hopefully he is ok to come back in as Max Gillies really struggled on Saturday.

Muir, Doyle, Robson, Kilday, Fox, Gillespie, Connell, Brown, Longridge, Longstaff/Smith, Murray

To be top of the league without having lost a game is of course a good position to be in but performances have been a bit ropey in recent weeks and in a league as tight as this we need to start picking up some wins again asap.

We badly need a break & avoid having penalties given against us, think its 5 in 7 games and 3 of them have been dubious the one on Saturday & down at Montrose meant zero points when we deserved something. It has to be heads down and get on with it & press as high as possible .Have a ticket but if Gavin Duncan is in charge will just concede and stay at home. 😁

Edited by peternapper

49 minutes ago, peternapper said:

We badly need a break & avoid having penalties given against us, think its 5 in 7 games and 3 of them have been dubious the one on Saturday & down at Montrose meant zero points when we deserved something. It has to be heads down and get on with it & press as high as possible .Have a ticket but if Gavin Duncan is in charge will just concede and stay at home. 😁

Just watched the highlights from Saturday now. Thought it was harsh at the time but that confirms it. Not a pen for me so Peterhead can rightly be aggrieved.

Scott Brown is a top quality CM at L1 level. Peterhead kept good shape and looked resilient. Should be a decent game against a yet undefeated QP.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

10 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Just watched the highlights from Saturday now. Thought it was harsh at the time but that confirms it. Not a pen for me so Peterhead can rightly be aggrieved.

Scott Brown is a top quality CM at L1 level. Peterhead kept good shape and looked resilient. Should be a decent game against a yet undefeated QP.

Just had a quick look at the PFC player pool….quite a heritage of clubs there. I’m guessing their current position is false at the moment.

https://www.peterheadfc.org/players/

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

1 hour ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Just had a quick look at the PFC player pool….quite a heritage of clubs there. I’m guessing there current position is false at the moment.

https://www.peterheadfc.org/players/

Not sure if I'm being whooshed here but Peterhead are generally a lower end League 1 side. They've rarely troubled the top half when in this division. 

We are top of the league but should be several points ahead even with the depleted squad we have available. Until our injuries sort themselves out each game will be a bit hit and miss. Our own youngsters have potential but we need more than that to win matches in league 1. We have to get somebody up front with Murray in the interim. We can't expect him to star every week although I think we are entitled to expect him to be played in the centre and not shoved out wide. I too was surprised at our starting selection last weekend. For our confidence to be maintained we need to win this one. Winning it well would be a bonus. Biggest game for Laurie so far. 

I would agree that this is a game we really need to win to get things going again. Not sure if starting with 2 strikers is necessarily the answer as it would mean other good players either not playing or playing out of position. Connell has to start and it would be great to have Baynham back as an option off the bench as Mchugh offers nothing at the moment.

Back to winning ways on Saturday I hope. Unbeaten run is class but the draws are stacking up. I'd start Connell in a heartbeat. Jack Thomson is a good back up but he wont help drive a title challenge. His defending for Clyde's fist goal was poor. Kilday back in with Doyle replacing Gillies would be a boost. McHugh on the bench too. Doesn't deserve a start. Plenty of young players watching with flare that could do a better job.

I'm a big Liam Brown fan but he's off form imo. What a start to the season he had but that's fell away of late. An in form Liam Brown makes a big difference to our team. 

Stunned by the amount of penalties against Peterhead lately. More time spent in your own box means a higher chance of conceding pens though.

1-0 win for QP. 

Respect in advance to all travelling Peterhead fans. Got to respect that travel every second week.  

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Back to winning ways on Saturday I hope. Unbeaten run is class but the draws are stacking up. I'd start Connell in a heartbeat. Jack Thomson is a good back up but he wont help drive a title challenge. His defending for Clyde's fist goal was poor. Kilday back in with Doyle replacing Gillies would be a boost. McHugh on the bench too. Doesn't deserve a start. Plenty of young players watching with flare that could do a better job.

I'm a big Liam Brown fan but he's off form imo. What a start to the season he had but that's fell away of late. An in form Liam Brown makes a big difference to our team. 

Stunned by the amount of penalties against Peterhead lately. More time spent in your own box means a higher chance of conceding pens though.

1-0 win for QP. 

Respect in advance to all travelling Peterhead fans. Got to respect that travel every second week.  

We have a much younger back line this year have been on the wrong end of decisions from officials a number of times which we have been punished for big time. Think we need to push up & close teams down as early as possible. At times we have been playing well but not for 90mins at a time. We need a break to get back on track saturday is as good a time as any for it to happen.

I am fortunate that i can take the car to away games, we used to get some seats on the team bus but that is obviously not an option now for those that used it, good that some realise the effort involved in following the team some supporters think its the major trek if its an hour travel to a game. I will have completed my tour of Firhill at this game as have been in the Main Stand & the Away End at previous games against Thistle

5 hours ago, peternapper said:

We have a much younger back line this year have been on the wrong end of decisions from officials a number of times which we have been punished for big time. Think we need to push up & close teams down as early as possible. At times we have been playing well but not for 90mins at a time. We need a break to get back on track saturday is as good a time as any for it to happen.

I am fortunate that i can take the car to away games, we used to get some seats on the team bus but that is obviously not an option now for those that used it, good that some realise the effort involved in following the team some supporters think its the major trek if its an hour travel to a game. I will have completed my tour of Firhill at this game as have been in the Main Stand & the Away End at previous games against Thistle

Take care and safe journey. May your team get all the breaks they need AFTER Saturday.

19 hours ago, peternapper said:

I enjoy watching Open Goal most weeks. Si Ferry seems like a good character to have around the place. He often speaks about how well you keep possession but haven't got the breaks. Is he a player/coach now? 

33 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

I enjoy watching Open Goal most weeks. Si Ferry seems like a good character to have around the place. He often speaks about how well you keep possession but haven't got the breaks. Is he a player/coach now? 

Yes Simon has been given the chance to take some sessions with the squad, Derek Lyle has been given the chance of coaching the strikers, he is still playing although now 41 his goal scoring days are getting far & few between but still probably the fittest player in the squad.

Also is there any parking allowed behind the Jackie Husband Stand on matchdays?

On 22/09/2021 at 18:11, williebraveheart said:

We are top of the league but should be several points ahead even with the depleted squad we have available. Until our injuries sort themselves out each game will be a bit hit and miss. Our own youngsters have potential but we need more than that to win matches in league 1. We have to get somebody up front with Murray in the interim. We can't expect him to star every week although I think we are entitled to expect him to be played in the centre and not shoved out wide. I too was surprised at our starting selection last weekend. For our confidence to be maintained we need to win this one. Winning it well would be a bonus. Biggest game for Laurie so far. 

Depleted squad? 😀😀

You have two regular starters from last season out with long term injuries.

Haughey has brought in three loanees from clubs that will be compensated to the tune £1000+ a week for these players. You have no excuses against part time opposition.

1 hour ago, Charliechurch said:

Depleted squad? 😀😀

Haughey has brought in three loanees from clubs that will be compensated to the tune £1000+ a week for these players. You have no excuses against part time opposition.

Great post!

Not because it contains any valuable insight, of course, but because it proves that you don't have a fucking clue and people can now ignore you with full confidence that they're not missing anything.

Very important game for us in terms of maintaining momentum stopping us going into a real slump in form. I fully believe we’ll win the game but Ellis really needs to nail his lineup. I’d go for this:

Muir 

Doyle           Kilday           Fox           Robson 

Gillespie    
                 Brown                Connell 

Smith                     Murray            Longridge 

I’ve noticed people saying brown is off form. I personally wouldn’t say he’s necessarily out of form, i feel like he’s set the bar so high from his early performances that there’s now an expectancy for him to be the main man. With Connell in the team, you’d hope the opposition would need to occupy their attention on both players instead of Brown solely. It’s clear opposition set out to stop Brown playing and dictating play. Paul sheerin stated in his post match interview after the Falkirk game that he set up the team to nullify the impact of Brown and you can tell Airdrie and Clyde have followed suit. Hoping to see Smith start as he’s looked brilliant any time I’ve seen him so far, made a great impact against Clyde

Edited by qpfc

15 hours ago, Charliechurch said:

Depleted squad? 😀😀

You really are a bitter and twisted person. Seek help before it's too late. 

7 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Very important game for us in terms maintaining momentum and to stop us going into a real slump in form. I fully believe we’ll win the game but Ellis really needs to nail his lineup. I’d go for this:

Muir 

Doyle           Kilday           Fox           Robson 

Gillespie    
                 Brown                Connell 

Smith                     Murray            Longridge 

I’ve noticed people saying brown is off form. I personally wouldn’t say he’s necessarily out of form, i feel like he’s set the bar so high from his early performances that there’s now an expectancy for him to be the main man. With Connell in the team, you’d hope the opposition would need to occupy their attention on both players instead of Brown solely. It’s clear opposition set out to stop Brown playing and dictating play. Paul sheerin stated in his post match interview after the Falkirk game that he set up the team to nullify the impact of Brown and you can tell Airdrie and Clyde have followed suit. Hoping to see Smith start as he’s looked brilliant any time I’ve seen him so far, made a great impact against Clyde

I would have no argument with that line up if it is available to us.

6 minutes ago, qpfc said:

Hoping to see Smith start as he’s looked brilliant any time I’ve seen him so far, made a great impact against Clyde

I thought he looked good at Falkirk as well. Very sharp and direct. 

Picking a side that has our best players on the pitch and not on the bench would be a sensible move. Ridiculous that not one of Connell, Longstaff or Smith started the game last week.