Oldest Grandstands

Lurkst

Looking at old photos of the South Stand at Hampden (or stands as they were originally) built in 1903 and demolished in 1997, it struck me that fans were squeezing onto those wooden seats for almost a century. 

That lifespan will soon be eclipsed by the Bill Struth Stand at Ibrox, built in 1928.

What other examples are there of  grandstands used for similarly long periods?

Edited by Lurkst

I would say Dundee's stand, visually at least, is the most unaltered from the original Archibald Leitch design.  The old main stand at Tynecastle served the club for just over 100 years.  I think the main stand at Somerset Park and the remaining half of the original main stand at Central Park date from 1921 and are still in use today. 

Edited by bluedragon

I believe parts of Killie's main stand are very old. 

The old Tynecastle stand dated from 1913. A couple of turnstiles from it were erected by tenants Edinburgh City at Ainslie Park and will presumably continue to be used by Spartans when City move back to Meadowbank.

Berwick Rangers bought their main stand from Bradford City in the late 40s/early 50s so it may have a good age.

The oldest stand in England is (probably) at Great Yarmouth Town and dates from the 1890s. The cricket stand/pavilion at Grange CC in Stockbridge, Edinburgh is of a similar vintage.

19 hours ago, bluedragon said:

I would say Dundee's stand, visually at least, is the most unaltered from the original Archibald Leitch design.  The old main stand at Tynecastle served the club for just over 100 years.  I think the main stand at Somerset Park and the remaining half of the original main stand at Central Park date from 1921 and are still in use today. 

Having sat in the stand last night legs were certainly shorter 100 years ago

its such a pity the enclosure in front of it was removed in part as it spoils the look on TV.

The grandstand at the Northern Meeting Park in Inverness has been standing since 1864 and was briefly used by Inverness City in the North Caley league about 15 years ago.

https://northernmeetingparkcom.wordpress.com/history-of-the-northern-meeting-park/

On 22/09/2021 at 23:05, tamthebam said:

I believe parts of Killie's main stand are very old. 

That may well be the case, although it's been refurbished so many times, particularly in the early 60s, that it's completely unrecognisable compared with the original structure. 

On 22/09/2021 at 23:05, tamthebam said:

The oldest stand in England is (probably) at Great Yarmouth Town and dates from the 1890s.

It's a beaut. Although there might be some restricted view issues!

Welly1.jpg

Edited by Lurkst

2 hours ago, Lurkst said:

That may well be the case, although it's been refurbished so many times, particularly in the early 60s, that it's completely unrecognisable compared with the original structure. 

It's a beaut. Although there might be some restricted view issues!

Welly1.jpg

Look at the ornate windows and doorways in the base of the stand!    

I think when Killie developed their main stand in the 1960's they built the new structure over the top of the old stand and then modified it underneath.  So at this time foundations and some features would have been retained although I am note sure what was visible to the naked eye.  As you say, the improvements in the 1990's would have made spotting any original features even more difficult.

• 2 months later...
19 hours ago, Ya Bezzer! said:

How old is the main stand at Tannadice?

For me that is a top two worst in the country for leg room.

The other one would be Ayr Utd.

The Jerry Kerr stand was built based on the average height of people in the 1920s. Sadly, the stand itself was built in 1962

• 3 weeks later...