Clash of the Dinosaur Mangers - Ayr United v Greenock Morton

The second half really showed the absolute shitshow Hopkin has made of his recruitment in an attacking sense. 

We need to decide what we are doing managerial wise so we can get in the players we need, there’s been enough fucking around. 

Moffat absolutely has to start games. 

Under Hopkin we’d undoubtedly have found a way to lose to that Morton team today. Despite the shite recruitment Duffy seems to have found a way to at least make them a bit harder to beat and not be utterly horrible to watch going forward. I’m still not convinced he’s the right man and given we haven’t got a game the Saturday after we go to Firhill, that might be the right time to appoint someone.

2 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

Under Hopkin we’d undoubtedly have found a way to lose to that Morton team today. Despite the shite recruitment Duffy seems to have found a way to at least make them a bit harder to beat and not be utterly horrible to watch going forward. I’m still not convinced he’s the right man and given we haven’t got a game the Saturday after we go to Firhill, that might be the right time to appoint someone.

Completely agree however today showed our limitations, we are short in certain positions - particularly with O’Connor’s injuries.

Leaving it until after the Partick game means we may not get any signings in though, if we don’t I think we will possibly be okay but will struggle along. A couple of decent signings and we could be looking half decent. 

Pretty poor game. Ayr for once dominated the midfield but created nothing. Morton defended well and created nothing.

Morton defended deep which meant we couldn’t counter attack, we worked the ball down the wings well enough but never found a man.

I don’t think Morton won a header anywhere on the park all afternoon, I’ve never seen a team as bad at winning headers. 

think the game could still be going on now and neither team would have had a shot on goal. 

3 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Now that the grounds are open again, the streams should be marketed as a separate product altogether, aimed mainly at out-of-towners/expats (and a back-up for season-ticket holders who can’t always make it).

At £18 a throw for a poor service, you’re as well not bothering.

Wonder if someone like @Finlay21 could come in later and confirm exactly how many single-purchase customers Ayr actually get today?

I would have probably watched the game on-line today but could not as the English FA have put a stop to Scottish games being broadcast down South.  I would imagine there will be other Ayr fans in the same situation.  Prior to the Covid problems I would have listened in to the commentary but that is no longer available.

I wonder if there were folk from England who bought a season ticket as they can attend some games and planned to watch the other games on-line.   It would have been less costly to do this than pay £18 a game to watch on-line.

I know you can watch games using a Scottish or other VPN but this would incur additional costs and it may be beyond some technically to do so.

Diego, Morton won virtually every header in their own box, specially big Lithgow. Not one of our numerous long throws led to a chance, as  a defender, usually rising above McGinty by pushing down on his shoulders, invariably headed it away. They were not so good in our box, thank goodness.

Our only dangerous efforts on goal were Tomi's first half attempt that just scraped by, and Maxwell's blast in the 2nd half. Was right behind the line of that shot and was certain it was going into the top right corner, then at the last minute it seemed to lift slightly and hit the top of the bar. Maybe an optical illusion as how that is physically possible I'm not sure. Maybe something to do with spin or the wind. 

As poor a game as that was, it is the first time I've seen us in the flesh since Arbroath. First 15 minutes we started well and looked like we could have a decent afternoon, before we tried to out mediocre each other. 

Agree there were some good individual performances, both sides just suffer a sheer lack of creativity. 

Diego, Morton won virtually every header in their own box, specially big Lithgow. Not one of our numerous long throws led to a chance, as  a defender, usually rising above McGinty by pushing down on his shoulders, invariably headed it away. They were not so good in our box, thank goodness.
Our only dangerous efforts on goal were Tomi's first half attempt that just scraped by, and Maxwell's blast in the 2nd half. Was right behind the line of that shot and was certain it was going into the top right corner, then at the last minute it seemed to lift slightly and hit the top of the bar. Maybe an optical illusion as how that is physically possible I'm not sure. Maybe something to do with spin or the wind. 

Adeloye had a second chance in the second half where he sat 2 Morton defenders down and then just chipped it over the net. Was certain he was going to finish it off.

1 minute ago, jm86 said:

This - we played countless crosses, long throws and set pieces into the box and Morton dealt with every single one.

1 hour ago, stevep56 said:

I know you can watch games using a Scottish or other VPN but this would incur additional costs and it may be beyond some technically to do so.

Opera internet browser has a free built in VPN and is very simple to use.

1 hour ago, stevep56 said:

I would have probably watched the game on-line today but could not as the English FA have put a stop to Scottish games being broadcast down South.  I would imagine there will be other Ayr fans in the same situation.  Prior to the Covid problems I would have listened in to the commentary but that is no longer available.

I wonder if there were folk from England who bought a season ticket as they can attend some games and planned to watch the other games on-line.   It would have been less costly to do this than pay £18 a game to watch on-line.

We are in London this weekend and I managed to get the match on  my phone and we got onto the laptop once we connected to a VPN (virtual private network) which hides where you're dialling in from. 

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

It may have been my hearing but was the crowd chanting peado at Jack Hamilton? I was on the NT and 3 or 4 times when he had the ball it sounded like our fans were shouting that?

No, It was to Alan Lithgow.