Rory Loy Appreciation Thread/Decent Journalism Thread

2 minutes ago, Connor1874 said:

Apparently so, but one of those who refuses to say a good word about Hearts.

Biggest arsehole Hearts fan there is, and that takes some beating.

Was that not just when Levein was there?  They hate each other.

19 minutes ago, TheScarf said:

Was that not just when Levein was there?  They hate each other.

He's certainly calmed in his negativity since Levein left, but still doesn't particularly seem too happy to talk Hearts. I suppose it would be nice if more pundits were like that though and didn't just bum up their favourite team 24/7. Be nice for us to have 1 pundit who does mind you... :lol: 

21 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

This one could be due to the Dee link but I don't hate Neil McCann whenever he's on Sportscene or whatever.

I shouldn't like McCann, but I think he is really good as a pundit. Is knowledgeable without being really patronising.

Agree with the Loy comments too. Sort of passed me by as a player and didn't know who it was when he was first on the radio, but he is someone who clearly does his research on the teams being covered.

I think generally across the ex players in media in Scotland, there is a decent balance between the confrontational guys (Stewart, Levein) and the really technical knowledgeable guys like Loy.

The less we hear from the 'jobs for the boys' guys like Dodds and Houston the better.

I think Fleeting, Bartley, Crichton and even Foster are all really good. Although you half expect Foster to completely loose the plot at any second. 

As an aside, whatever happened to Craig Patterson? He was great to start with and then became a bit rambling. 

I think the issue with a lot of these guys is over-exposure. Stewart is probably the main person who suffers from it at the minute. In the past Andy Walker was seen as a decent pundit in the old Scotsport days, but since he's been on Setanta and Sky he's grown to be a bit of a hasbeen - and also lazy in punditry.

Reason I quite like a number of the Sportscene pundits (Bartley and Fleeting especially) is that the BBC have chosen to move them about each week so it's not just the same three or four on the sofa - as was the case in previous seasons. The Sutherland-Thommo-Stewart trio was getting a bit stale, although I do actually think all three can be good at what they do.

The downside of that is that you'll get a Shelly "29 year old Scott Allan is the best young player in Scotland" Kerr or Richard "I hope Benji Siegrist is injured" Foster.

• 1 month later...

I had Rory on my podcast this week if anyone fancies giving it a listen. Could tell his enthusiasm for football / punditry as soon as he started talking about it. Hope everyone enjoys, any feedback appreciated 👍🏻⚽

Youtube:  

Spotify: 

Apple: https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/a-chat-with-rory-loy/id1570371231?i=1000541115849

Cheers

Ross

On 22/09/2021 at 15:06, Theyellowbox said:

I shouldn't like McCann, but I think he is really good as a pundit. Is knowledgeable without being really patronising.

Agree with the Loy comments too. Sort of passed me by as a player and didn't know who it was when he was first on the radio, but he is someone who clearly does his research on the teams being covered.

I think generally across the ex players in media in Scotland, there is a decent balance between the confrontational guys (Stewart, Levein) and the really technical knowledgeable guys like Loy.

The less we hear from the 'jobs for the boys' guys like Dodds and Houston the better.

I think Fleeting, Bartley, Crichton and even Foster are all really good. Although you half expect Foster to completely loose the plot at any second. 

As an aside, whatever happened to Craig Patterson? He was great to start with and then became a bit rambling. 

Billy Dodds is o.k.