6th Place Celtic v 5th Place United

Obviously disappointed with the outcome but in terms of our approach I think it's exactly what our supporters want to see. We created a lot of chances, we just didn't take them. Sometimes football goes that way. On another day we score four or five.

"I can't praise the players highly enough for their efforts today. That's three tough games in a week and we haven't been able to change our squad too much. They gave everything right to the end."

It's fair to say that Ange has lost the plot noo. 

We won't get 2 or 3 million for Fuchs unless someone utterly stupid drops that on him in January.... 

Which considering he's out of contract in summer would be utterly mental. 

Kerr Smith strolling a game against Celtic at Celtic Park was a joy to behold. Some player for a 16 year old. Reminds me a lot of John Souttar but he'll go much much further than he has (assuming he doesn't pick up the kind of injuries John has unfortunately had). 

1 hour ago, Jinky67 said:

To hit the woodwork 3 times is bad luck, we got lucky with the penalty, the Ajeti miss is unacceptable.

Worrying run of results, another injury and the squad is already thread bare.

Still early days but not looking great 

Are you concerned that despite outspending the other clubs by several million and bringing in lots of new players that you are still short ?

Ange is still starting the Croatia right back at left back to accommodate Ralston despite Bolingoli, Montgomery and Scales all having experience of playing left back - does he know the players best position ?

17 minutes ago, bennett said:

He won't get much more time before the sharks start circling again. 

The Australian Mark Warburton was what he was being described as after the Betis result and it couldn't be more accurate. A nice guy but doesn't seem up to it.

14 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Are you concerned that despite outspending the other clubs by several million and bringing in lots of new players that you are still short ?

Ange is still starting the Croatia right back at left back to accommodate Ralston despite Bolingoli, Montgomery and Scales all having experience of playing left back - does he know the players best position ?

Honestly no.

Scales, Montgomery or Bolingoli wouldn’t have won that game today. Having a striker fit and capable of leading the line, running in behind and being able to convert chances from 3 yards would have.

Edited by Jinky67

17 minutes ago, DMCs said:

The Australian Mark Warburton was what he was being described as after the Betis result and it couldn't be more accurate. A nice guy but doesn't seem up to it.

I don’t get this analogy tbh. Warburton was basically allowed a free hit in a lower division then bizarrely signed players in to the top league that were never going to match his style he created. 

For us it’s the opposite way round really, multiple injuries has caused to pick he players he has no intention of keeping long term and don’t really match his approach. Still perhaps one dimensional but you know what he’s going for long term which was never the case Warburton.

5 minutes ago, gannonball said:

I don’t get this analogy tbh. Warburton was basically allowed a free hit in a lower division then bizarrely signed players in to the top league that were never going to match his style he created. 

For us it’s the opposite way round really, multiple injuries has caused to pick he players he has no intention of keeping long term and don’t really match his approach. Still perhaps one dimensional but you know what he’s going for long term which was never the case Warburton.

Yes, he’s trying to re-invent the style Celtic play and that’s not going to happen overnight given he’s trying to do it himself without a back room team.

Realistically you need to give him around 3 years - 2 to embed at least and see how well he’s doing then.

He’s spent £20m buying players to suit his own style - if you sack him this season that’s money wasted.

17 minutes ago, Grangemouth Bairn said:

Yes, he’s trying to re-invent the style Celtic play and that’s not going to happen overnight given he’s trying to do it himself without a back room team.

Realistically you need to give him around 3 years - 2 to embed at least and see how well he’s doing then.

He’s spent £20m buying players to suit his own style - if you sack him this season that’s money wasted.

It's because of their similar ideological approach and stubbornness in sticking with that. Generally ideological purists don't work in Scottish football and you need that ability to be more pragmatic when up against it.

I'd also say that McCarthy and Starfelt aren't great fits for your style either. With Warburton the limit on who we could sign was budgetary and with yourselves it was because you didn't have much time. 

1 hour ago, ArabianKnight said:

We won't get 2 or 3 million for Fuchs unless someone utterly stupid drops that on him in January.... 

Which considering he's out of contract in summer would be utterly mental. 

Kerr Smith strolling a game against Celtic at Celtic Park was a joy to behold. Some player for a 16 year old. Reminds me a lot of John Souttar but he'll go much much further than he has (assuming he doesn't pick up the kind of injuries John has unfortunately had). 

Kerr's a more natural defender whereas Souttar's perhaps a more natural ball player and has had to learn the defensive side of the game. I wouldn't write off John still going very far indeed though if he can get over his injuries.  Really brave of Courts to put him in there today when Reynolds was available.  

1 minute ago, Pull My Strings said:

Kerr's a more natural defender whereas Souttar's perhaps a more natural ball player and has had to learn the defensive side of the game. I wouldn't write off John still going very far indeed though if he can get over his injuries.  Really brave of Courts to put him in there today when Reynolds was available.  

I honestly think he stuck Kerr in there not just because of his ability but because there's been a few comments made regarding the use of young players recently. 

I've not touched upon this but I'm starting to prefer Freeman over Smith... 

1 minute ago, ArabianKnight said:

I honestly think he stuck Kerr in there not just because of his ability but because there's been a few comments made regarding the use of young players recently. 

They are a superb right back between them. Smith's defensive qualities plus Freeman going forward would be ideal

9 minutes ago, ArabianKnight said:

Those comments were really premature. In six Premiership games before today he had already given starts to a 16, 17 and 18 year old. Some folk are just desperate to put the boot in. 

I prefer Freeman to Smith too.