Gabby Petito Case

MuckleMoo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58620272

For some reason I've been finding this case fascinating. Young couple travelling around America and documenting it on social media and YouTube.

Brian Laundrie, Gabby' partner, returned home without her on the 1st of September and she was reported missing on the 10th.

Unfortunately a body matching Gabby' description was discovered yesterday. Brian Laundrie appears to have done a runner several days ago as know one seems to know his whereabouts although there is a suspicion that his family might be protecting him.

Just now, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Innocent until proven guilty. 

But yes he’s a dirty murdering b*****d.

he is a murdering b*****d, , but i'd cut him some slack as she was also murican, i only spent a few months in the country, but i could see why their husbands murder them, i'd rather have a weegie wife tell me not to bother coming up the road for my dinner as it was in the bin and i was a p***k, than have to listen to the whiny nasal sound that comes out a murican woman's mouth.

Just now, Meldrew said:

he is a murdering b*****d, , but i'd cut him some slack as she was also murican, i only spent a few months in the country, but i could see why their husbands murder them, i'd rather have a weegie wife tell me not to bother coming up the road for my dinner as it was in the bin and i was a p***k, than have to listen to the whiny nasal sound that comes out a murican woman's mouth.

He didn't ask for your opinion, mate.

9 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Not going to need Poirot here to figure this one out, are we? 

Everything you need is there - he was with her, did not report her missing and has refused to cooperate. On top of that, he's done a runner. 

I'm not sure you can hold "refused to cooperate" against him given that every lawyer in the country would advise him not to speak to police whether he did it or not. All the other stuff kind of fucks any credible defence a lawyer might have come up with though. If he gets found alive he'll go down for it. 

I'd like to add the bodycam footage of the cops talking to Gabby when she's crying is an absolute cringefest, basically leading her to all the "correct" answers so they don't have to arrest or charge her and calling her a "golden flower" or some shit. Skin crawling. 

9 minutes ago, Richey Edwards said:

There is absolutely every indication that he murdered her.

Why would the police let someone who appears as guilty as that go,  just for them to do a runner?

Useless b*****ds.

As long as it was simply a “missing person” case, involving an adult, with nothing to indicate a crime (yea, I know, but in a legal sense), they were pretty much unable to arrest him. Once they find the body, you potentially have a clear crime (ONCE they determine the cause, at a minimum) and then can possibly arrest him, but you have timelines for how long you could hold him and legal issues that actually can make it more useful to interview him BEFORE he’s under arrest. The convoluted nature of the legal system in the U.S. slows everything down somewhat, and imposes pretty strict timelines on how long you can hold someone without charges (non-citizen terrorists aside).

To simply arrest the lad in this case, they’d generally need to have charges preferred, and an arrest warrant sworn out before a judge. Arresting the lad “just because” would likely result in charges being dropped and some potentially blocked from being refiled. The charges would also probably have to be filed in Wyoming, and then a warrant forwarded to the Florida police, etc…the Florida police have no basis to arrest the man for a possible crime outside their jurisdiction, without a warrant. The FBI potentially could, partially because the crime may cross State lines…but they also need a reason, other than we think he did something.

Innocent until proven guilty is nice and all, but it results in a slower system that sometimes allows people to bolt. I’ll take it over a police statement though.

A crazy case. There's over an hour of bodycam footage from when they were pulled over in Utah last month when someone saw them arguing/fighting and their van was being driven erratically when the police caught up to them.

And now it seems that a Vlogger has spotted their van parked at the side of a road while editing footage, notified police who then searched that area and have found the body just a few metres from where the van has been seen.

Absolutely wild case.