St Mirren v Aberdeen

The biggest problem here is St Johnstone.

If they hadn't won up in the granite hellscape that is Aberdeen, then I feel we could have taken something here (I actually thought we would take something from Hibs, too). However that shock will have (or at least should have) Glass scrambling to avoid similar.

All in all we are getting better. Goodwin seems happy to shift the makeup of the midfield, although that is as much down to suspensions and injuries than it is him not knowing what his best line up is. Ronan looks decent, keeping McGrath (despite the drama) is only a good thing, Brophy is beginning to show a bit of form, with both Millar and Tanser on the wings giving us something we've been missing in the early games.

Scoreline? No idea. I'll be surprised if this was a high scoring game, I'll go a 2-1 but I have no idea to which side.

59 minutes ago, Ric said:

The biggest problem here is St Johnstone.

If they hadn't won up in the granite hellscape that is Aberdeen, then I feel we could have taken something here (I actually thought we would take something from Hibs, too). However that shock will have (or at least should have) Glass scrambling to avoid similar.

All in all we are getting better. Goodwin seems happy to shift the makeup of the midfield, although that is as much down to suspensions and injuries than it is him not knowing what his best line up is. Ronan looks decent, keeping McGrath (despite the drama) is only a good thing, Brophy is beginning to show a bit of form, with both Millar and Tanser on the wings giving us something we've been missing in the early games.

Scoreline? No idea. I'll be surprised if this was a high scoring game, I'll go a 2-1 but I have no idea to which side.

Us losing to St Johnstone wasn't a shock. I don't think we should be expecting to beat you lot this time out either. 

2 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Us losing to St Johnstone wasn't a shock. I don't think we should be expecting to beat you lot this time out either. 

Maybe not to the fans, but I'd imagine Glass expected to beat them, as much as he expects to beat us.

6 minutes ago, Ric said:

Maybe not to the fans, but I'd imagine Glass expected to beat them, as much as he expects to beat us.

If he did, and does, then he has rocks in his heid.

However, i think that he probably appreciates that we aren't playing well and is trying to do something about it. Whether he can is another matter. What he expects in any given game, f**k knows, you could be right. 

27 minutes ago, coprolite said:

However, i think that he probably appreciates that we aren't playing well and is trying to do something about it.

That's what I was hinting at, if he had any doubts that he would need to change things around before the game against the farmers, he'll have cemented them after the game finished. I feel Glass will "shuffle the pack" - not that I'm too familiar with the current Aberdeen lineup - whereas for an opposition team you kind of want a manager who sees his team in 'decline' yet sticks with it in hope it'll turn around.

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

If he did, and does, then he has rocks in his heid.

However, i think that he probably appreciates that we aren't playing well and is trying to do something about it. Whether he can is another matter. What he expects in any given game, f**k knows, you could be right. 

I was reading that you'll have Bates, Watkins and Hedges available for Saturday. Surely that makes you a different proposition altogether.

We're improving, but an Aberdeen with the personnel that they have available to them, should be beating us comfortably.

44 minutes ago, FTOF said:

I was reading that you'll have Bates, Watkins and Hedges available for Saturday. Surely that makes you a different proposition altogether.

We're improving, but an Aberdeen with the personnel that they have available to them, should be beating us comfortably.

It's got the feel of 1994/95 - Willie Miller was "fed up of finishing second" to some extinct club.

He tried to revamp the playing style.  Despite having the likes of Shearer, Jess, Booth, Dodds, McKimmie we ended up in a relegation play-off.

Teams that defend well against us know they'll get chances - hopefully Bates helps with that, but I fear it's the overall setup of the team rather than individuals that is the problem.  Maybe these are expected teething problems - but new managers don't always get the luxury of time to see things through. 

8 minutes ago, tarapoa said:

It's got the feel of 1994/95 - Willie Miller was "fed up of finishing second" to some extinct club.

He tried to revamp the playing style.  Despite having the likes of Shearer, Jess, Booth, Dodds, McKimmie we ended up in a relegation play-off.

Teams that defend well against us know they'll get chances - hopefully Bates helps with that, but I fear it's the overall setup of the team rather than individuals that is the problem.  Maybe these are expected teething problems - but new managers don't always get the luxury of time to see things through. 

Absolutely nuts when you see it written down like that.

You had a strong oldco Rangers, Falkirk* and Motherwell. Decent Hibs and Hearts sides and a battling Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle. The league from 2nd to 10th was extremely tight.

Aberdeen and Dundee United underperformed to a ludicrous extent though.

*we were sensational that year, I loved it. Weir, Johnston, Parks, McQueen, McCall, Rice, Kirk, McGrillen etc. Sitting 3rd with 3 games to go before a late slump to 5th.

Exit Jimbo Jefferies, enter John L*mbie and hello relegation.

1 hour ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

You had a strong oldco Rangers, Falkirk* and Motherwell. Decent Hibs and Hearts sides and a battling Kilmarnock and Partick Thistle. The league from 2nd to 10th was extremely tight.

*we were sensational that year, I loved it. Weir, Johnston, Parks, McQueen, McCall, Rice, Kirk, McGrillen etc. Sitting 3rd with 3 games to go before a late slump to 5th.

Just popping in to the thread to say that the 93/94 and 94/95 teams remain my all-time favourite Motherwell sides.

McLeish inherited a genuinely great team from McLean then it all went sideways in a big way.

Edited by capt_oats

4 hours ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Have you lost your bucket and spade?