RIP Jimmy Greaves

Grangemouth Bairn

On 19/09/2021 at 11:12, Meldrew said:

After watching that clip I ended up watching the first episode of their show for the 88-89 season. 

Back then they were wringing their hands at £2 million transfer deals and marvelling at a £40 million 4 year broadcast deal with ITV. Simpler times. 

The BBC Archive posted this today, him being interviewed by Ian Wooldridge about what it felt like to miss out on the 1966 World Cup Final.

Honestly worth a watch, a very frank, moving account of a man who felt his life's dream was cruelly taken away from him.

2 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I was watching it with the sound off but did wonder if it might been him. 

If it was him it was before he developed his trademark hairstyle.

At Spurs

Pat Jennings. Spurs. | Tottenham hotspur football, Tottenham hotspur  players, Tottenham hotspur

At Arsenal

Pat Jennings – Apples & Oranges

"Auld Shovel Hands" as he was known was some keeper. One of the first i ever remember scoring a goal.

Anyway, back on topic, Greaves was desperately unlucky to get injured and replaced by Roger Hunt in 66.

3 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

His 357 goals in the top league will never be beaten.

Shearer is 2nd in the list, over 70 behind and he's the most prolific striker in the last 30-odd years.

Shearer's fifth, and now the only one still alive in the top 10...

Rank Player Years Matches Goals Ratio
1 Jimmy Greaves 1957–1972 516 357 0.69
2 Steve Bloomer 1892–1914 536 314 0.59
3 Dixie Dean 1924–1938 362 310 0.86
4 Gordon Hodgson 1925–1940 456 287 0.63
5 Alan Shearer 1988–2006 559 283 0.51
6 David Jack 1920–1934 476 257 0.54
Charlie Buchan 1912–1928 482 257 0.53
8 Nat Lofthouse 1946–1960 452 255 0.56
9 Joe Bradford 1921–1935 410 248 0.60
10 Hughie Gallacher 1925–1938 355 246 0.69

It's an astonishing total. Wayne Rooney's the only man to play entirely this century and break 200.

As you say it will never be touched!

Having never seen him play I always struggled to associate the old dad with the tache on TV with the tales of what a lethal marksman he was.

Edit...apologies for the poorly ripped table from wikipedia. 

Edited by Lurkst

3 minutes ago, Lurkst said:

Shearer's fifth, and now the only one still alive in the top 10...

Yeah, I should have said post-war but Shearer's record is also tremendous.

There's no one still playing who's even close and I can't think of anyone young enough who could score 25+ goals a season/every season for 15 seasons which is what would be required to match Greaves.

6 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

If it was him it was before he developed his trademark hairstyle.

At Spurs

Pat Jennings. Spurs. | Tottenham hotspur football, Tottenham hotspur  players, Tottenham hotspur

At Arsenal

Pat Jennings – Apples & Oranges

"Auld Shovel Hands" as he was known was some keeper. One of the first i ever remember scoring a goal.

Anyway, back on topic, Greaves was desperately unlucky to get injured and replaced by Roger Hunt in 66.

According to those dates, the goal at Man Utd was the week after the horror show at Hampden. The highs and lows of football... 

10 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

After watching that clip I ended up watching the first episode of their show for the 88-89 season. 

Back then they were wringing their hands at £2 million transfer deals and marvelling at a £40 million 4 year broadcast deal with ITV. Simpler times. 

I can mind £100,000 transfer deals causing a fit of the vapours, especially in Scotland.