RIP Jimmy Greaves

Grangemouth Bairn

Was it Hamilton Accies that Greavsie used to have a thing for? 

Think it was their first season in the Premier League about 1986 and Greavsie was supporting them because they were absolute gash. I think he went a bit mental when they beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup when Souness was there.

24 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

Think it was their first season in the Premier League about 1986 and Greavsie was supporting them because they were absolute gash. I think he went a bit mental when they beat Rangers in the Scottish Cup when Souness was there.

That's right. Think it was more to do with finding the 'Academical' part amusing than anything else.

From experience, a fair number of folk from the southern end of the island find our town/club names hilarious. Got a good few laughs during football conversations by mentioning the town called Motherwell, or that we have teams with "Thistle" in their name.

1 hour ago, Lofarl said:

I thought he died years ago.

Same here, but I think it's just that the news made a big deal about him being diagnosed with dementia years ago, so I'd assumed he'd already gone.

He once said ‘’you will never walk alone!’ Unless you support Hamilton Academical that is.’
He loved to wind us ‘Jocks’ up especially with his co host being the Saint.
We used to sing ‘are you watching Jimmy Greaves?’ during the Dons European successes in the early 80s.
A sad loss and one of the greatest goal-scorers ever.

3 hours ago, Scary Bear said:

I thought it came across as quite patronising.

He's elbowed Boycie out of the headlines though.

Edited by GordonD

1 hour ago, Scary Bear said:

Boycie was 79! I forget I’m an old boy myself now.

UK Gold is making a big thing at the moment of it being forty years since Only Fools started. Gives them an excuse to show it on endless repeat - not that they've needed one in the past.