Raith Rovers vs Partick Thistle

11 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

BRS might be decent enough playing from the start but he's absolutely no use coming on as a sub. Young Mitchell also struggled badly when he came on. 

The drop off when we make some subs is quite worrying. 

I was thinking about that there as well. 

Our substitutions hugely weakened us against Hamilton, and although it might just be a coincidence, it was again, panic stations when the subs came in today. 

Once again, I’ve no idea if we’re a decent team or not. We defended well for the bulk of the game, we were clinical, but I thought Partick dictated things for huge chunks of the game and we’re unfortunate not to get something. 

I’m also a bit worried that teams will cotton on to the fact that Zanatta is far and away our only outlet. Clamp him down and we’re goosed. 

I’ll worry about that another day though, all in all, a good laugh. 

Edited by McGuigan1978

A win with a number of players not on their game alongside the Railway Stand assistant,I,ll take that

A blind man can see we,re short in number of positions and thats unlikely to change until January.We,ll have to stumbled along till then

Edited by Rovers_Lad

25 minutes ago, grumswall said:
27 minutes ago, Ro Sham Bo said:
BRS might be decent enough playing from the start but he's absolutely no use coming on as a sub. Young Mitchell also struggled badly when he came on. 
The drop off when we make some subs is quite worrying. 

I don't rate brs but he did break up the game by generally being clumsy and just getting in everyone's way.

You can see why Mcglynn hasn’t committed to an  extended contract yet but I think he is definitely worth a punt until the end of the season, come January we could be short of a few and it’s a hard market to pick up decent players in

We never do things the easy way but regardless of how it arrived, that was an excellent win.

Wasn’t confident when Bene stepped up but a great penalty from him. Zanatta was excellent once again although I think with McCall knowing him, he was targeted a bit more defensively today and found wanting in that aspect at times. His attacking work was very good though.

Huge Hamilton flashbacks for all involved those last 5/10 minutes. Don’t think McGlynn’s subs helped. However, you should be comfortable bringing on youngsters with 10 minutes to go when you’re 3 up. That brief couple of minutes possession when we calmed down and showed a bit of composure on the ball around the 89th ultimately got us over the line. If that second goal had come any earlier…

Hopefully that exorcises the Hamilton demons that we did ultimately get the job done this time. If I’m being kind it was slightly different circumstances this time given Thistle were always in the game and 3-0 flattered us greatly, also a touch of us running out of legs after a tough shift on Thursday.

Last 5 minutes takes the shine off slightly but in terms of result, it’s a great start to an important week. I think we will ultimately end up in a bit of no man’s land this season. Too much about us to be involved at the bottom end but not good enough for promotion play offs. In saying that, I’ve not seen anything in this league yet that has impressed me but we have 2 of the top 3 still to play. 

24 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

Our substitutions hugely weakened us against Hamilton, and although it might just be a coincidence, it was again, panic stations when the subs came in today. 

Once again, I’ve no idea if we’re a decent team or not. We defended well for the bulk of the game, we were clinical, but I thought Partick dictated things for huge chunks of the game and we’re unfortunate not to get something. 

I’m also a bit worried that teams will cotton on to the fact that Zanatta is far and away our only outlet. Clamp him down and we’re goosed. 

I think we lose structure and a bit of calmness in midfield when Spencer goes off - due to his spotty fitness and BRS as our only midfield sub it tends then not to look to good for BRS since he replaces Spencer and therefore we always look weaker when BRS is subbed on.

At the same time, Tait was awful today. Everytime he got the ball he was closed down and bodied off of it. Just not at the races at all. 

We have two consistent midfielders in Spencer and Matthews, but our system really has a Vuaghan shaped hole in it. Connolly works extremely hard and has a good range and vision on his crossing and passing but you can see him looking for the number 10 arriving late and it just isn't happening. Keatings should have been that guy but he is apparently a terrible physical specimen.

Centre forward position is weak. Was Mitchell getting game time a test to see what his readiness was like, or was it McGlynn repeating his "play Mckay up front" ploy to demonstrate to the board that we are short.

I don't know if we are a good team or not. We look like a mis firing engine. Occasionally the timing gets right and we rev into life and look great before lapsing back into wheezing and banging and sparks all over the place. 

Zanatta has been immense so far.

21 minutes ago, Frankly, Mr Shankly said:

Don’t start. We all know he meant as in Mendy in hindsight, wasn’t our best piece of business ever. 
Anyone who calls this racist is just looking to start arguments. 

Don't start what??? Before starting accusations you need to do a bit of research before uttering pish.

3 minutes ago, SirJimmyofNic said:

Feck me , can nobody say anything on here without it being taken as something else. Get a fecking life 

My sympathies entirely.

My "Hmmm" wasn't aimed at you but at the reaction I got for an identical post.

Edited by Raith_Raver

51 minutes ago, McGuigan1978 said:

I felt today, we looked far less one dimensional than in our other wins against Ayr and Morton. Zanatta obviously did brilliantly with his goal, but Connolly also adds quite a bit to the team creatively and can be a nuisance. I think he'll come good over the course of the season. Varian's excellent at winning the ball in the air but often it comes to nothing due to our style of play. All our problems today seemed to be down to our inconsistencies in the middle. If there's one area today where I felt were deserve credit is how many chances we created in the final 3rd.  

53 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

We never do things the easy way but regardless of how it arrived, that was an excellent win.

Wasn’t confident when Bene stepped up but a great penalty from him. Zanatta was excellent once again although I think with McCall knowing him, he was targeted a bit more defensively today and found wanting in that aspect at times. His attacking work was very good though.

Huge Hamilton flashbacks for all involved those last 5/10 minutes. Don’t think McGlynn’s subs helped. However, you should be comfortable bringing on youngsters with 10 minutes to go when you’re 3 up. That brief couple of minutes possession when we calmed down and showed a bit of composure on the ball around the 89th ultimately got us over the line. If that second goal had come any earlier…

Hopefully that exorcises the Hamilton demons that we did ultimately get the job done this time. If I’m being kind it was slightly different circumstances this time given Thistle were always in the game and 3-0 flattered us greatly, also a touch of us running out of legs after a tough shift on Thursday.

Last 5 minutes takes the shine off slightly but in terms of result, it’s a great start to an important week. I think we will ultimately end up in a bit of no man’s land this season. Too much about us to be involved at the bottom end but not good enough for promotion play offs. In saying that, I’ve not seen anything in this league yet that has impressed me but we have 2 of the top 3 still to play. 

I think we are plenty good enough to reach the play offs. However, without like for like options on the bench we won't trouble the top of the league.