Raith Rovers vs Partick Thistle

2 hours ago, Raith_Raver said:

This is the kind of game we need to win if we're to think about a top 4 finish.

Applies pretty equally to both sides. Partick’s playoff express derailed today, and they’ll certainly be looking to get back on track. We’re still scraping one goal wins here and there…playoffs are but a distant dream for now.

On 18/09/2021 at 20:45, TxRover said:

We’re still scraping one goal wins here and there…playoffs are but a distant dream for now.

3 points for a 1 goal win....I'll take that on Sunday, a win could potentially have us in the top 4.

I know it's not Raith's fault that this is on Sunday, but Sunday games are absolute shite. 

As per someone's post on WAT McCall said at the Q&A yesterday he knows he hasn't got the shape of the team right yet. Think on that basis we'll go back to one up front here. I'd also rather Hendrie and Akinola at full back rather than Foster and McKenna who don't offer much going forward but are also not helping much defensively. 

Zanatta anytime goalscorer is probably buying money as well. 

On 18/09/2021 at 20:45, TxRover said:

…playoffs are but a distant dream for now.

We’ve not started the league season that well but we’re two points off a play-off spot with a game in hand. Winning at Ayr and Morton has us back firmly in contention and we should definitely have play-off ambitions. As someone else says, it’s games like this that will go a long way to realising that ambition. 

3 hours ago, Raithie said:

3 points for a 1 goal win....I'll take that on Sunday, a win could potentially have us in the top 4.

56 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

We’ve not started the league season that well but we’re two points off a play-off spot with a game in hand. Winning at Ayr and Morton has us back firmly in contention and we should definitely have play-off ambitions. As someone else says, it’s games like this that will go a long way to realising that ambition. 

Which is nice, but having watched our play, I’m sure you’ll all agree that our current form isn’t Top 4. I’m simply saying that we have a lot of “tuning” to do, and that the league this year looks very balanced. Our start is poor, but not terrible.

42 minutes ago, Michael W said:

Yeah, hard to say where we are at relative with the rest of the league after 5 games. 

Two disappointing home results and two wins on the road. Standard defeat against ICT. 

Totally agree with this. Was the Accies match a sign of what we can become (first 60 minutes) or was Queens (laboring for everything). I fear our midfield woes may haunt us all year.

2 hours ago, TxRover said:

Which is nice, but having watched our play, I’m sure you’ll all agree that our current form isn’t Top 4. I’m simply saying that we have a lot of “tuning” to do, and that the league this year looks very balanced. Our start is poor, but not terrible.

It’s definitely not terrible, especially when compared with last time out. 

Standard away defeat to ICT

Beat Morton away 1-0 in a tight game which we did last season

Beat Ayr away comfortably - a definite improvement on last seasons two draws

Disappointing loss at home to QOS - which also happened last season

That leaves the Hamilton game which while traumatic, we didn’t lose. 

Throw in getting out of the League Cup group and the Aberdeen win and there’s an argument that on paper at least it’s been a pretty decent start. 

Admittedly performances haven’t been as impressive as last season (the first 70 minutes against Hamilton aside) but we also had some really dreadful performances last time in amongst the fantasy, free flowing wins. But I’d say we’ve had an average start not necessarily a poor one. 

Suspect that it feels a lot worse than it has actually been due to stuff like Vaughan, Tait, injuries, the floodlight failure and that Hamilton collapse, and maybe I’m being stupidly optimistic but absolutely no reason to believe we can’t get a top 4 finish again. 

Edited by roverthemoon

22 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

It’s definitely not terrible, especially when compared with last time out. 

Standard away defeat to ICT

Beat Morton away 1-0 in a tight game which we did last season

Beat Ayr away comfortably - a definite improvement on last seasons two draws

Disappointing loss at home to QOS - which also happened last season

That leaves the Hamilton game which while traumatic, we didn’t lose. 

Throw in getting out of the League Cup group and the Aberdeen win and there’s an argument that on paper at least it’s been a pretty decent start. 

Admittedly performances haven’t been as impressive as last season (the first 70 minutes against Hamilton aside) but we also had some really dreadful performances last time in amongst the fantasy, free flowing wins. But I’d say we’ve had an average start not necessarily a poor one. 

Suspect that it feels a lot worse than it has actually been due to stuff like Vaughan, Tait, injuries, the floodlight failure and that Hamilton collapse, and maybe I’m being stupidly optimistic but absolutely no reason to believe we can’t get a top 4 finish again. 

Agree, but also believe that even thinking ABOUT the playoffs right now is silly. We need to focus on stabilizing the performances and getting our best team sorted, and proper supporting players in place and blooded, it’s far too soon to be thinking about playoffs now, we need to be thinking about consistent, quality play and getting some of these players linking up week to week. We also have to have a plan for Tait leaving, at the same time BRS is leaving (for now). That’s the priority, along with getting someone at CF to start scoring!

12 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

Zanatta anytime goalscorer is probably buying money as well. 

Just on this, to no one's surprise the bet365 odds on this are insane. Stephen Hendrie is 22/1 anytime and while he might not play he's a better shout than Darren Brownlie (14/1) or Lewis Vaughan (3/1) neither of whom will likely kick a ball this season.

Couple of our 16 year old weans who got a 2 minute run out in the challenge cup are lower odds than half the players on either side as well. 

Edited by Fuctifano

13 hours ago, Fuctifano said:

As per someone's post on WAT McCall said at the Q&A yesterday he knows he hasn't got the shape of the team right yet. Think on that basis we'll go back to one up front here. I'd also rather Hendrie and Akinola at full back rather than Foster and McKenna who don't offer much going forward but are also not helping much defensively.

I agree with Hendrie coming in at LB, but personally I’d keep Foster and move him to RB, McKenna didn’t look sharp enough last week and I’d much rather play Foster at RB than a CB in Akinola there (whilst acknowledging he has experience at RB and can do a job there). I’d like to see Akinola come back into central defence, probably for Mayo. 

Rudden - Graham has worked well at times this season but it’s probably best to go 1 up top and just play either Turner or Smith off the striker. 

Hopefully Hastie is back for this game, would really like to see some pace on both wings rather than just Tiffoney who often eventually gets marked out the game as he’s the only one with genuine pace up top. 

18 hours ago, TxRover said:

Agree, but also believe that even thinking ABOUT the playoffs right now is silly.

The play-offs is our stated aim for the season. No reason not to be looking at our league position and reflecting on whether we are currently on target or not, even this early. No one is getting carried away and claiming we’re winning the league or anything.