Seven years on

Richey Edwards

57 minutes ago, Inanimate Carbon Rod said:

Baxter can be a bit draining, ive stopped responding to him ages ago, prove him wrong on something and it just becomes a big pile of abuse etc, whats the point? Aye and no in terms of the rebuttals, the point about the Rangers case, ive no idea what happened there but I definitely am aware of politicians sticking their oar into things at various levels and from various parties in terms of the criminal justice mechanisms. 
In terms of ‘personal dislike’ no, its not that, I know a few folks who know Humza and i’ve been told hes a decent enough guy, I just dont think hes in anyway competent and his track record in governance has been appalling. Swinney, again a couple mates in the SNP have said hes nice enough, but my anger relates to his performance and that alone, im angry especially for the folks who’ve been failed by the exams mess etc. In terms of macdonald, no all ive heard is that he’s a complete idiot. 

Oh aye Baxter and thon other laddie aren't worth engaging with generally, no offence meant to them, but in this case what he posted was at least deserving of response, even if it is a case of the SNP being awful cost cutting neolibs as opposed to bloodsucking Tories and just looking good in comparison. I'm sure you're right re politicians and court cases but that doesn't really mean anything except vague suspicion re the ones cited. 

And aye sorry personal dislike is the wrong way to put it. I think Humza and Swinney in particular are absolutely fair enough to be fed up with.

The exams one is a funny one, as with a few of the big missteps over covid. Don't get me wrong I'm by no means an alright jack guy with Covid. I've had a minor nervous breakdown in the past few months, signed off work etc; my grandad died after getting covid (ultimately a longer term illness that took him but I'm sure fighting it off a few weeks prior to his death didn't do him any favours), his care was impacted along the way because of it and while I was lucky enough to speak to him on the phone in a lucid moment the night before he died I didn't see him for a year before. Other elderly relatives have probably lost time they would have had if not for the worry and inactivity of the last year. And all that being the case I consider myself one of the lucky ones. But other than on the big issues like care homes (which as far as I can tell Baxter is right about) and the overly cautious attitude since the vulnerable were vaccinated or so almost certainly depriving us of freedoms unnecessarily I find it hard to get too het up about stuff like how to square the circle of finding a way to get people's qualifications sorted in a completely equitable way when they couldn't get into school. 

Edited by Genuine Hibs Fan

2 minutes ago, Genuine Hibs Fan said:

Oh aye Baxter and thon other laddie aren't worth engaging with generally, no offence meant to them, but in this case what he posted was at least deserving of response, even if it is a case of the SNP being awful cost cutting neolibs as opposed to bloodsucking Tories and just looking good in comparison. I'm sure you're right re politicians and court cases but that doesn't really mean anything except vague suspicion re the ones cited. 

Maybe you’re right, but if 99% of the stuff is typical posting its quite hard to focus on the odd post that does engage or doesnt have loads of abuse when someone disagrees. 
I just meant the kinda suggestion that there is no political interference in COPFS is at best naive and blinded by assurance from the political elite that it doesnt happen. The lord advocate being an appointed political position (however you want to square it) suggests this isnt even remotely accurate. I think when you can’t see beyond something like that it’s just not worth engaging further. 

And aye sorry personal dislike is the wrong way to put it. I think Humza and Swinney in particular are absolutely fair enough to be fed up with.

It absolutely does no good to the independence movement to see incompetent people promoted beyond their ability and put forward as the best Scotland has to offer when they clearly aren’t. 

The exams one is a funny one, as with a few of the big missteps over covid. Don't get me wrong I'm by no means an alright jack guy with Covid. I've had a minor nervous breakdown in the past few months, signed off work etc; my grandad died after getting covid (ultimately a longer term illness that took him but I'm sure fighting it off a few weeks prior to his death didn't do him any favours), his care was impacted along the way because of it and while I was lucky enough to speak to him on the phone in a lucid moment the night before he died I didn't see him for a year before. Other elderly relatives have probably lost time they would have had if not for the worry and inactivity of the last year.

I absolutely hear what you’re saying, what happened to people over the last year was just absolutely appalling and does not square with the suggestion that ‘the snp cares more’ type pish when they loaded old folks homes with people they knew had the risk of transmitting the virus without even being tested. 

And all that being the case I consider myself one of the lucky ones. But other than on the big issues like care homes (which as far as I can tell Baxter is right about) and the overly cautious attitude since the turn of the year or so almost certainly depriving us of freedoms unnecessarily I find it hard to get too het up about stuff like how to square the circle of finding a way to get people's qualifications sorted in a completely equitable way when they couldn't get into school. 

Its a collective thing, I mentioned HY and JS because they’re currently in government, its not worth talking about Freeman too much going forward, but for me she should be forced to face the families she failed in any subsequent enquiries. 

On the whole its not as ‘descending into holier than thou’ in fighters, its just people realising that we deserve better. 

Guest Bob Mahelp

It's simply impossible for one party in any country to hold power for 14 years without becoming stale, bereft of ideas, and pissing off virtually everyone at some point. 

The SNP are too independencey for some, not enough for others. Too progressive for some, too regressive for others. Too left wing, too right wing. Too many restrictions, not enough restrictions. They've reached the point that all governments eventually reach....that point where they're simply just banging their head of a wall all the time.

On top of that, they're governing in unheralded times with control of only 25% of Scotland's economic levers. It's like giving a kid one of these cash cards that you put his pocket money on, then telling him to go out and arrange a mortgage and an overdraft.

By all rights, the SNP should be heading for a spell in opposition. The reason they're not is because of the complete incompetence of Scotland's opposition parties, combined with their complete reliance on London control.  

If, God help us, we ever had a Tory or Labour government in Holyrood, you can bet your eye teeth the first thing they'll do is work in combination with Westminster to legislate and make damn sure that another referendum, and with it independence, becomes impossible. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they legislated to repeal devolution, close Holyrood, and vote themselves out of existence. 

The 50% of Scots who support independence know that, and while they'll often do it with clenched teeth, most will continue to vote SNP. 

In an independent Scotland though, the SNP may well drift back to the opposition benches. It would do them good.

Edited by Bob Mahelp

20 hours ago, speckled tangerine said:

I feel genuinely sorry for these "red wall" types who voted Conservative as well as those who didn't in sink estates all over the shop. They have absolutely no chance these days. Starmer's picking fights with his own party when the enemy is getting away with complete murder

I'd happily accept being worse off for a spell with the anticipation things will improve, as opposed to the illusion that this "great power" is on the way to some magical renaissance. It's not.

The United Kingdom is completely fucked. It's over and incredibly, the collapse is happening on a daily basis in real time.

I do not feel the slightest bit of sympathy for any brain-dead idiot who looked at what had happened to their community over almost a decade of Tory rule and thought, "Yeah, I'll have some more of that, ta."

These fuckers deserve every empty shelf, every benefit cut, every price rise, every lost employment right that's coming their way. Hell fucking mend them.

The tragedy is that they've dragged everybody down with them, and screwed at least one generation's future, because they're stupid enough to believe what the RW media tells them without question. To give one classic example, these lying shits still use association with Russia as proof absolute that Corbyn is a Communist. Because they can get away with being lazy. Because the GBP are supine fucking idiots who'd rather shag a flag than give their kids a decent life.

11 hours ago, Bob Mahelp said:

It's simply impossible for one party in any country to hold power for 14 years without becoming stale, bereft of ideas, and pissing off virtually everyone at some point. 

The SNP are too independencey for some, not enough for others. Too progressive for some, too regressive for others. Too left wing, too right wing. Too many restrictions, not enough restrictions. They've reached the point that all governments eventually reach....that point where they're simply just banging their head of a wall all the time.

On top of that, they're governing in unheralded times with control of only 25% of Scotland's economic levers. It's like giving a kid one of these cash cards that you put his pocket money on, then telling him to go out and arrange a mortgage and an overdraft.

By all rights, the SNP should be heading for a spell in opposition. The reason they're not is because of the complete incompetence of Scotland's opposition parties, combined with their complete reliance on London control.  

If, God help us, we ever had a Tory or Labour government in Holyrood, you can bet your eye teeth the first thing they'll do is work in combination with Westminster to legislate and make damn sure that another referendum, and with it independence, becomes impossible. 

It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if they legislated to repeal devolution, close Holyrood, and vote themselves out of existence. 

The 50% of Scots who support independence know that, and while they'll often do it with clenched teeth, most will continue to vote SNP. 

In an independent Scotland though, the SNP may well drift back to the opposition benches. It would do them good.

This. So much this. As it stands, with anyone other than the SNP in power, the country would be voting for slave status. Because the major WM parties (and, tbh, the yellw tories)will enjoy nothing more than royally fucking those uppity Jocks for getting above their place.

14 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

PS - I reckon independence would lead to some type of civil war and also like a soft Crimea type scenario with Unionists claiming they were being mistreated in an independent Scotland and asking England to step in and protect them.

So in this scenario the rUK would be Russia and Scotland would be Ukraine?

Not exactly a great argument to keep Westminster rule here 

Didn't know a lot of no voters back then. Rabid h*n in the local. Some older folk probably worried for their pensions. Silent majority right enough. Will probably be the same result again sadly. Doubt if our young folk and European folk here will be enough to swing it. I think I would rather wait another 10 years as and see where we are. 🤷