Scottish Parliament Achievements

Scary Bear

What are the top achievements of  the Scottish Parliament?

Of the top of my head, these are the first 10 which came to mind. I have no doubt missed a few more.

the Land Reform (Scotland) Act 2003 - Right to Roam legislation

Smoking, Health and Social Care (Scotland) Act 2005 - stopped smoking in indoor public spaces

Climate Change (Scotland) Act 2009 - set greenhouse has emissions targets of 42% by 2020 and 80% by 2050

Marriage and Civil Partnership (Scotland) Act 2014 - same sex marriage 

Building the new Forth crossing

Dualling the A9 Perth to Inverness

Aberdeen Bypass

Free Prescriptions

Free Bus Passes for over 60s

No tuition fees

What have been the highlights for you?

The poor can argue passing Tommy Sheridan's bill to abolish warrant sales was an achievement.

When you look at some of the New Labour/Tory stuff England has been exposed to such as free schools and privatised water I'm thankful we had devolution. 

1 hour ago, tamthebam said:

The poor can argue passing Tommy Sheridan's bill to abolish warrant sales was an achievement.

When you look at some of the New Labour/Tory stuff England has been exposed to such as free schools and privatised water I'm thankful we had devolution. 

Abolishing warrant sales is definitely another achievement.

Scottish Water is probably a good thing too although any professional dealings I’ve had with them haven’t made me think they are good. Communication and helpfulness were limited.

7 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I used to be for free prescriptions but with further austerity there needs to be a rethink. 

Wealthy pensioners driving in their Range Rovers to collect free prescriptions to take on their 3rd holiday of the year is obscene when vital services are being underfunded. 

How much money would you estimate as being recouped by such a move, as offset by the extra expense of means testing?

Also worth bearing in mind that we really don't need to give the well-off more of an excuse to think that the NHS is a luxury they can do without.

3 minutes ago, BFTD said:

How much money would you estimate as being recouped by such a move, as offset by the extra expense of means testing?

Also worth bearing in mind that we really don't need to give the well-off more of an excuse to think that the NHS is a luxury they can do without.

I don't know but we are reaching levels of inequality where it surely has to be considered. Westminster won't touch wealth so Holyrood should take any opportunity to redress it. 

I think the well off will understand that they would still be better off paying a prespriction fee than buying drugs at the market price. 

14 minutes ago, BFTD said:

Not a lot considering most medicine is prescribed to people who wouldn't have to pay anyway, and there's a considerable administration cost. Think it cost Wales around £40 million to introduce free prescriptions which is tiny in relation to their NHS spend. Then you have to count the cost of treating people who aren't buying their medicine because the money's needed for something else.

Edited by welshbairn

14 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I don't know but we are reaching levels of inequality where it surely has to be considered. Westminster won't touch wealth so Holyrood should take any opportunity to redress it. 

I think the well off will understand that they would still be better off paying a prespriction fee than buying drugs at the market price. 

I'm all for taxing people/businesses properly, but it smacks of tokenism to make a few thousand oldies chuck in a tenner for their meds with no tangible financial benefit. Besides, and for a variety of reasons, I think Holyrood is more likely to want to keep as many auld yins on-side as possible.

I don't think you're correct on the second part. The vast majority of people here have no idea about the actual cost of medical treatment, and how much it would cost them to obtain similar cover privately. Many would assume they'd likely get their drugs at a similar cost under insurance, along with "better"/faster treatment, so why am I paying for the paupers to get treatment for their diabetes and liver transplants due to their unhealthy lifestyles?

Bit cynical, perhaps, but people are c***s.

48 minutes ago, Detournement said:

I used to be for free prescriptions but with further austerity there needs to be a rethink. 

Wealthy pensioners driving in their Range Rovers to collect free prescriptions to take on their 3rd holiday of the year is obscene when vital services are being underfunded. 

Probably true, but the you imagine the unthinking bureaucracy around any means tested scheme and just think ‘Naw’.

I keep getting letters telling me I haven’t had my second vaccine because someone inputting data has put the same date for my first and second jags. Tried to get it sorted phoning the number on the NHS website. Unhelpful person at call centre tells me that due to data protection she can’t help me. This is what happens when government bureaucracy gets involved. No thank you.