Elgin City v Annan

I’ll be happy if our away team turns up! Undefeated on the road so far. To be fair I think we did enough to win last weekend at home but was one of those days where the ball wouldn’t hit the net. Maybe Ando’s needing a little more support up front. Will the manager change it or go with pretty much the same 11 that’s played so far this season?

Worrying times at Elgin. This team is not nearly good enough. The first eleven are decent but no quality on the bench. Although Annan used wasting time antics they were much the better team overall . Elgin had 2 great chances but both fluffed by Macphee. They created little else. The passing was slow Β and predictable and surely Gavin now realises he is in a battle to avoid bottom spot. I must criticise him strongly for bringing on Hester when he was clearly unfit. Hopefully he has done no lasting damage after coming off again near the end.

It is too late to strengthen the team until January but the work rate which is still good will have to increase to compensate for the lack of quality. Otherwise it is destination Highland league next year! Crowds are also well down.. Only 480 on a great day for football

Also why change the goalkeeper? Continuity helps the back four. Gavin strangely quiet today. Perhaps the penny has finally dropped and Β he realises we are not a good side!

Probably the worst performance from Elgin in a long time. McPhee missed two good chances, Sopel was ineffective, O'keefe was easily knocked off the ball. The only bright side was Little wasn't starting. Hopefully Hester's brief appearance won't hamper his return to fitness, he shouldn't have been risked. Triallist looked quick and enthusiastic. Little's lack of pace cost us their second goal. In hindsight, I wish David Wilson had stayed and that's saying something.

A special mention to Annan's time wasting from about the hour mark onwards. Think it was about 4 or 5 times a player went down and stayed down.Β  the better team won.

That was as poor a team performance that we’ve seen at home in a long time. Annan deserved the win although I didn’t think they were that good (decent free kick tbf). It’s pretty worrying as we don’t look like scoring many goals and look even less likely to keep a clean sheet. Risking Hester looks like a very poor decision if he’s made the injury worse (not sure running off a hamstring injury has ever worked).

The time wasting by Annan from about the 20th minute was quite something. I know all teams try to run down the clock a bit when they’re winning but it got to pathetic levels in the second half with strategic β€œinjuries” every time Elgin had any spell of possession.

Strange that everybody thinks that Annan are not really that good. Today by my calculations was our 4thΒ 

away win and the 4th team to think we’re not that good! All we can do is win games and take the stick.
Β 

I know what position I would rather be in! All the best to Elgin for the rest of the season!

Annan have always been a tough team to beat and proving so again this season. As for us there is no doubt we are in a relegation battle but you could say the same for 4 or 5 others. Supporters have to stick with them and management. A couple of wins and things will be brighter. That said a couple of strange selection decisions today?Β 

1 hour ago, Solway Star said:

Strange that everybody thinks that Annan are not really that good. Today by my calculations was our 4thΒ 

away win and the 4th team to think we’re not that good! All we can do is win games and take the stick.
Β 

I know what position I would rather be in! All the best to Elgin for the rest of the season!

That probably did come across as sour grapes - looked a pretty robust and functional side and Johnstone keeps things ticking over nicely. Easily enough for the win today. I’ve not been overly impressed with any team I’ve seen this season (Kelty are as good as they should be) and we sit a point off the bottom - says everything about the drop in quality from us!1

Annan can play how they like most teams do like to hold onto a lead if they get one & it’s up to the opponent to get at them . Annan did that but we didn’t. We had chances but too few to win the game . That’s football [emoji460]️ a winning run just round the corner. Let’s get well away from the playoff spot we’ll be fine bye Xmas [emoji52]