Montrose V Alloa

Just to confirm that the Mighty do have a game tomorrow.  Hopefully get back to winning ways . Can see it being tight and wouldn't be surprised to see a draw. Hope we can take the initiative and go for it from the start instead of going behind before we start playing.

Can Webby get another on his incredible goal a game run? 

2-1 to the Mo with Webby getting the winner from the spot.

The outcome will depend how BF sets up this week's new formation and who is in favor and who is not. There will also be a further block in our way as to who we have signed this week.

I am hoping for a display similar to that against Falkirk last Saturday. Hopefully Troutten will be back.  We slipped up against Airdrie midweek due to them having the wrong type of astro-turf.

I'm not making tomorrow's game unfortunately as I'm away for the weekend. I can't say that I'm too confident following the midweek game against Airdrie, although our record against Montrose over the last 20 or 30 years is very impressive.

Must be a few years since we've met due to us being pish and Alloa being in the higher leagues.
I think it's something like 1 defeat in the last 15 or so games against you and we're unbeaten in the league going back to 1995-ish.

Don't know how montrose will approach the game but hopefully their style is too come out and have a go at it as I think alloa might have more success if that's the case, I thought against airdrie alloa struggled to break a tight, compact team down and only got a bit of success when they went longer but too little too late, so hopefully  montrose will have a go as they say 

Looking forward to this,if we can play like we did last week I'm confident  we can get a positive result.Still concern's me a bit where we will get goals from Webby is on a fantastic run be we really need our front players scoring.A hope if CJ starts he gets a goal and some confidence in him,good player so he is just has to be a bit more clinical and more greedy in the penalty box his effort you can't fault he would run all day for the team.

17 hours ago, Dink said:

I'm not making tomorrow's game unfortunately as I'm away for the weekend. I can't say that I'm too confident following the midweek game against Airdrie, although our record against Montrose over the last 20 or 30 years is very impressive.

16 hours ago, Dink said:
16 hours ago, PortyMo said:
Must be a few years since we've met due to us being pish and Alloa being in the higher leagues.

I think it's something like 1 defeat in the last 15 or so games against you and we're unbeaten in the league going back to 1995-ish.

This of course has a huge bearing on the outcome of today's game. 📈

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

I imagine it's because everyone has clocked on to our terrible away form and are lumping it on.

Turned out to be a bullet dodged because I thought Montrose at odds against looked like great value, and would have taken them if there wasn't something weird going on with the bookies. 

Yuck. A near carbon-copy of the Dumbarton game where a physically astute and more clever side picked us off. All huff and puff, but no goals, and one of the most slack, disjointed performances I've seen for a while. Genuinely wondering where or when the next goal from open play is coming from....

Poor result, agree with the above disjointed statement, a near opposite performance from last week. Can’t be gifting 2 goals and expect to take anything from the match. Created plenty of chances in first half but no finishing touch. Need for a striker was alarmingly obvious today. Milne’s penalty was one of the worst I’ve seen. 

Spot on with above comments. Thought we played quite well first half but rwo dreadful mistakes in defence and we were suckered. As good as we were in the first half we were dreadful in the second. 

I thought CJ harried and hassled really well today but no cutting edge what so ever. 

A couple of hard games coming up so we could be dragged right back. 

Yes, Milne's penalty was brutal. I don't think Alloa were particularly good, based on that showing but then they didn't need to be. We spurned chance after chance, making wrong decisions in and around the box, over-hitting passes and crosses and otherwise showing ourselves to be toothless in attack. Unusually we were highly suspect on occasion in defence too and on two occasions out of three we were punished for it.

Alloa were gifted the first goal through sloppy defending. Their second was a peach of a goal but their player had acres of space in which to unleash his shot. Alloa on the other hand stifled our frequent forrays inside their box very effectively. Yes, they were big and physical but they had enough skill to cause us problems and frustratingly broke up our usual pattern of play. Sammon was a handful. Their full-back was also big and physical but lacked pace and should have been punished for this but sadly this weakness was not capitalised on by the Mo forwards. Newlands the referee was par for the course: poor, often times allowing his association with Sammon as fellow members of BA (baw-heids anonymous) to become apparent in his decision making skills.

Fair play to Alloa though, they took the chances they were gifted and at least tried to play football along with their time-wasting in the second half, minus the clownschool theatrics of the "absolute shower" on show a couple of Saturdays back.

Plus for me was the fact we didn't ship a third goal, when the defence was all at sea near the end of the game.

SP, please, please, please (I'm down on my knees) sign a striker!

3 hours ago, G51 said:

Turned out to be a bullet dodged because I thought Montrose at odds against looked like great value, and would have taken them if there wasn't something weird going on with the bookies. 

Everyone bets against us - we win. Its a regular occurrence.

A very welcome 3 points for Alloa today, but in reality it could/should have easily gone the other way had Montrose scored the early penalty (probably should have had a penalty before that one as well) and taken any of the 3-4 presentable chances they created before Alloa scored.

A superb bit of high-pressing from Niang to rob his man and give Alloa the lead. It wasn't the first time he won the ball high up the pitch and he got his just rewards. His form is improving week by week - the biggest fear now is that his form is so good that he goes back to Partick in January and doesn't stay with us for the whole season. After that Montrose still looked to me to be the more dangerous side, with Mendy again a mixture of good aggression and lapses of concentration. However, the sucker punch for Mo came on the stroke of half time, with Henderson, Sammon and Niang combining down the left on the break to tee up King to fire home into the top corner - superb technique, but Montrose should not have given that time/space to a player with his pedigree.

The second half was less eventful than I was expecting, with the Wasps doing all the sensible things of a side defending a two goal lead. Special mention to Jon Robertson - great to see his calm presence in a central midfield three today. Alloa arguably created the better chances towards the end of the game as Montrose went for it. Henderson had one saved, King almost scoring from the half way line and then Boyd had a free run for 70 yards but was denied, as was Cawley on the follow up. Montrose had another few presentable chances, but it simply wasn't their day. I wouldn't be overly critical if I were a Montrose fan though.

For Alloa, it felt a little similar to the East Fife win last month (a win, but it could have easily gone the other way), but fingers crossed it breeds confidence for the coming weeks.