Abolish Hampden Park

Grant Baker

3 hours ago, Merkie84 said:

A solution that doesn’t cost a penny is simply not to have as many games at Hampden. 

Scottish cup semis shouldn’t automatically be played there and in fact I believe this is a fairly recent trend. 

Semi -finals not involving the Glasgow teams are far better occasions when played at Tyncastle, Easter road, Fir Park etc. 

Smaller Scotland games could be played at Ibrox or Celtic park and the top tear closed. 

I think that may cost a penny in lost ticket revenue due to small capacities.

3 hours ago, jamamafegan said:

Where did you hear this?

It was a quote from Ian Maxwell, might have been from the SFA/supporters club - I’ll have a look back. I don’t think it was that Record article as I don’t usually read that.

eta - just as bad, it was the Scotsman! 

The Scotsman

Edited by Jambomo

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

The drooling fucktards who turned the Euro final at Wembley into a scene out of 28 days later have probably put paid to that emoji53.png

I wouldn't go that far.  Wave enough money under FIFA noses and I don't think it'd matter if they had lined up Infantino and co and executed them.  

If we were talking about a sane process, then you'd be right though.  In any non-mental, non-bribey world, those scenes should have blocked them from ever hosting anything again.

21 hours ago, Lurkst said:

A stadium at Partick harbour would be flanked on two sides by the Clyde and the Kelvin, limiting the footprint and access routes. The Clydeside Expressway would be absolutely log jammed, especially if there was a big event on at the Hydro too.

a two lane road via the Expressway to get to the stadium from those coming from the M8 east. In fact a third lane if you include Stobcross Road. Parking at SECC and whatever at the new stadium. Those coming from the West - two lanes through the Clyde Tunnel.

Train Station at Partick. A dedicated bus lane pretty much all the way to the stadium or at least SECC from the city centre. A new bridge to be built linking Govan to Patrick. Easy access from Partick via the tunnel under the Expressway. 

Whatever the reasons are not to move it to the River Clyde area, existing transport links and access is not one of them! Hydro events can be easily co-ordinated.

59 minutes ago, KingRocketman II said:

a two lane road via the Expressway to get to the stadium from those coming from the M8 east. In fact a third lane if you include Stobcross Road. Parking at SECC and whatever at the new stadium. Those coming from the West - two lanes through the Clyde Tunnel.

Train Station at Partick. A dedicated bus lane pretty much all the way to the stadium or at least SECC from the city centre. A new bridge to be built linking Govan to Patrick. Easy access from Partick via the tunnel under the Expressway. 

Whatever the reasons are not to move it to the River Clyde area, existing transport links and access is not one of them! Hydro events can be easily co-ordinated.

If you're wanting a new stadium to be easily accessed for everyone, wouldn't it be better to the east of Glasgow, not the west?

Let's face it, it won't happen anyway.  Redevelopment is the only realistic option.

On 20/09/2021 at 19:27, Burnieman said:

I think that may cost a penny in lost ticket revenue due to small capacities.

Not to mention the fact that Hampden is a fixed cost asset in which the cost has already, largely, been sunk (I'm presuming they have some form of debt). Moving games elsewhere means they have already paid for Hampden, but have also now to pay a rental fee for another ground on top of a reduced income.

It worked to a certain extent when QP owned Hampden but I expect it is very unlikely to happen in any games now expect for possibly those with very low expected attendances where the variable cost of running Hampden are more than the rental cost of another location.

6 hours ago, albagubrath said:

Not to mention the fact that Hampden is a fixed cost asset in which the cost has already, largely, been sunk (I'm presuming they have some form of debt). Moving games elsewhere means they have already paid for Hampden, but have also now to pay a rental fee for another ground on top of a reduced income.

It worked to a certain extent when QP owned Hampden but I expect it is very unlikely to happen in any games now expect for possibly those with very low expected attendances where the variable cost of running Hampden are more than the rental cost of another location.

It also wouldn't surprise me to see U21 games move there in future if they're not clashing with A games