Abolish Hampden Park

Grant Baker

On 17/09/2021 at 11:08, Jimi Shandrix said:

Surely you meant demolish Hampden Park? Murrayfield isn't great but it is preferable to that shitole.

It really isn’t. At Murrayfield you feel further away from the pitch than you do at Hampden. 

Sell the ground at Mount Florida. It is a valuable piece of land in a largely residential area so flats etc would be built there. Keep Lesser Hamdpen there. Move the Main Stand bit by bit to one of the many brown field sights along the Clyde, within walking distance of the town - maybe before or just after Partick Harbour. Build a new stadium around the Main Stand, with stands closer to the park etc etc.

I advocated that years ago and think it still stands as one of my better ideas!

On 18/09/2021 at 09:26, Scumjob said:

The only solution is a time machine to go back to when they were redesigning Hampden. Take some plans for a decent football ground and that's about the best we can do.

Short of that we're stuck with it.

I second the time machine proposal.

4 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Sell the ground at Mount Florida. It is a valuable piece of land in a largely residential area so flats etc would be built there. Keep Lesser Hamdpen there. Move the Main Stand bit by bit to one of the many brown field sights along the Clyde, within walking distance of the town - maybe before or just after Partick Harbour. Build a new stadium around the Main Stand, with stands closer to the park etc etc.

Fuckknows what the rest were like!

Partick would be as far from the city centre as Hampden is.

5 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

A stadium at Partick harbour would be flanked on two sides by the Clyde and the Kelvin, limiting the footprint and access routes. The Clydeside Expressway would be absolutely log jammed, especially if there was a big event on at the Hydro too.

Sounds like the best way forward is to redevelop Hampden in the same manner as Stuttgart or Bremen.  Get rid of the oval design and square the ends.

If they could build two tiers at each end, the top tiers could be closed for smaller games in the same way as the South Stand upper.

Lots of options, but not lots of money available I guess.

1 hour ago, Burnieman said:

Sounds like the best way forward is to redevelop Hampden in the same manner as Stuttgart or Bremen.  Get rid of the oval design and square the ends.

If they could build two tiers at each end, the top tiers could be closed for smaller games in the same way as the South Stand upper.

Lots of options, but not lots of money available I guess.

They are looking to do something like Stuttgart ground I believe.

A solution that doesn’t cost a penny is simply not to have as many games at Hampden. 

Scottish cup semis shouldn’t automatically be played there and in fact I believe this is a fairly recent trend. 

Semi -finals not involving the Glasgow teams are far better occasions when played at Tyncastle, Easter road, Fir Park etc. 

Smaller Scotland games could be played at Ibrox or Celtic park and the top tear closed. 

2 minutes ago, Merkie84 said:

A solution that doesn’t cost a penny is simply not to have as many games at Hampden. 

Scottish cup semis shouldn’t automatically be played there and in fact I believe this is a fairly recent trend. 

Semi -finals not involving the Glasgow teams are far better occasions when played at Tyncastle, Easter road, Fir Park etc. 

Smaller Scotland games could be played at Ibrox or Celtic park and the top tear closed. 

“Doesn’t cost a penny” doesn’t stand up when you’re talking about paying clubs a handsome amount of money to host games.

8 hours ago, KingRocketman II said:

Its not valuable for the next 20 years at least, that's why Queens Park sold it to the SFA for 5.1 million last year.

If you stop using it as a sports stadium at any point before 2040 there are so many grants that need paid back it knocked about 20 to 25 million of the value of the land, which the SFA tried to buy for £1.

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/queens-park-claim-sfa-tried-13280645

Then there is the 5 million they would need to pay the debenture holders (some of whom as McAlpine's from the last rebuild who covered some of the debt into debenture when the cash ran out for the South stand)  https://www.constructionnews.co.uk/archive/mcalpine-in-play-off-tickets-row-04-11-1999/ 

ignoring the first part then on Lessor Hampden, well Queens Park now own that so they will be glad you are letting them stay, especially with work restarting soon on their redevelopment of the ground.