Aberdeen v St Johnstone 18/9/21

7 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

The ‘take home’ after this, is that Aberdeen need to shelf their stupid policy of pandering to a half dozen thousand crofters, and follow the Tory Farmer model. Build a new stadium, make it 30-40 thou, and pack it full of Rangers and Celtic x8 a season.

Or follow the hearts model in spending the fourth highest in the league on utter dross and getting relegated every few years??

Watched this 'as live' last night. Wish I'd gone to bed.

Some minor improvement over last week. I thought our whole defence looked far better with Bates in it, and unsurprisingly reverted to type when Bates had to come off. Hopefully back for next week.

Plenty of possession again, and creating chances, but the quality in and around their box was pretty poor in general.

I really don't think we're far away. Would like to think that with Hedges and Watkins (where was he yesterday?) playing we'll have a good bit more guile around the opposition box.

10 hours ago, Kyle Reese said:

The ‘take home’ after this, is that Aberdeen need to shelf their stupid policy of pandering to a half dozen thousand crofters, and follow the Tory Farmer model. Build a new stadium, make it 30-40 thou, and pack it full of Rangers and Celtic x8 a season.

That’s one of your two posts. It almost makes me want to dig out your other one.

Yesterday ironically just backed up the feelings I have about performances at this stage of the season. We weren't great at all really going forward and will need to play better to pick up points most weeks. 

We got the three points though and the performance wasn't reflective on most of the others this season. You overlook that in isolation but another couple of performances like that would worry me more than x wins in y games or whatever that folk get caught up in at this time of the season. 

Yesterday ironically just backed up the feelings I have about performances at this stage of the season. We weren't great at all really going forward and will need to play better to pick up points most weeks. 
We got the three points though and the performance wasn't reflective on most of the others this season. You overlook that in isolation but another couple of performances like that would worry me more than x wins in y games or whatever that folk get caught up in at this time of the season. 

I agree with your analogy on this in general but not really in relation to yesterday as such. We didn’t pass the ball well at all but I thought we defended really well even with a pretty makeshift back three. Clark didn’t have a save to make. That kind of defensive performance makes me confident that we are pretty far from the losing silly goals all the time team of early last season and will pick up plenty of points even if the forwards aren’t always firing..

As for the rest of the team, I doubt we’re likely to see that midfield two ever again hopefully. Davidson is Davidson obviously but it doesn’t work if he’s partnered with Wotherspoon who is just about okay at the off the ball stuff, but actually needs a lot more time to think about what he’s doing with the ball in possession than you get in the crowded midfield. He’s a talented lad but I don’t think he can do the one touch intricate stuff McCann/Bryson can do or the one touch ball in behind that is Craig’s trademark. Those two together basically meant we were by-passing the midfield most of the game. If Wotherspoon is in the midfield it has to be in a 3 or at a push with someone other than Murray.

And then, further forward, I hope there won’t be too many occasions with the options we now have where all 3 forwards have shockers. Can’t believe how poor Middleton, O’Halloran and Kane managed to be with albeit limited service, still all managed to lose the ball almost every time it came to them. Drop all 3 on Wednesday to make a point pls

We were very good at the back, as we were last week. McCart was colossal in the closing stages. Definitely cause to be hopeful we won't concede too many this season. 

It's going to be important that the manager calls it right on when to go with the pace and directness in (wide) attack and when we need a bit more guile. Maybe one for @RandomGuy. to look at would be how many passes the front three completed between themselves (or even attempted) and contrast it to Crawford after his introduction. 

Quite hopeful that the majority of the new signings will make an impact. 

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

how many passes the front three completed between themselves (or even attempted) and contrast it to Crawford after his introduction. 

Literally just made this, which is ironic. Can perhaps make out passes between each player in the opp half? I'll look at the numbers too in a minute.

RP.thumb.png.9c22f8ded012190a07e5cbb5422dd466.png

And Crawford...

CRP.thumb.png.e3b1cf1f24ec453341703a714b311ae9.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

12 minutes ago, Radford said:

how many passes the front three completed between themselves (or even attempted) and contrast it to Crawford after his introduction. 

Different source to the pass maps, but...

0-60mins

MOH/Kane - 4 completed passes (3 by Kane, 1 by MOH)

MOH/Middleton - 0 completed passes

Kane/Middleton - 4 completed passes (3 by Kane, 1 by Middleton)

Crawford

Crawford/Kane - 2 completed passes (2 by Crawford, 0 by Kane)

Crawford + May/Vertainen/Middleton didnt combine for any passes.

11 minutes ago, Radford said:

So in the first hour, the two wingers/tens completed just two passes to the central forward. Not great, even allowing for fact the are probably tasked primarily with carrying the ball. 

The two in centre midfield need to do more, there's no finesse to their play and they're often bypassed. The ball has been in the air far too much this season, we need to mix it up a lot more as it's repetitive and easy to play against,  unless your Aberdeen or Hibs that is.

23 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

The two in centre midfield need to do more, there's no finesse to their play and they're often bypassed. The ball has been in the air far too much this season, we need to mix it up a lot more as it's repetitive and easy to play against,  unless your Aberdeen or Hibs that is.

Fucking about with this today, and it sort of highlights nothing goes in or comes out the middle of the park except big switches, usually towards Rooney.

That sort of block inside our half just before the halfway line where you'd want someone controlling the game. 

PROG.png.8c9076a3d0c4b025bb772e7a0fdbfae9.png

In spoilers but heres Rangers. For them Cluster 1 and 4 for them the key ones. Shorter passes into that area/out of that area. I know we won't be able to match what they do as they've got Davis/Kamara in there, but I think thats what we should be looking for in our next gen of CMs after Craig/Davidson.

Spoiler

GERS.png.8d048791f2547665af2f9f65e2c589af.png

Edited by RandomGuy.

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I agree.  Too much hoofing it up the park hoping for a forward to do something miraculous, rather than the passing build up we had last season.

2 hours ago, Lang Toon Saintee said:

I was genuinely surprised when I found out  recently that Aberdeen have only won one trophy ( The league Cup) in the past thirty years....Stevie may has won three times as many in the past seven with Saints..

We have actually won two League Cups in 30 seasons.

However, we did get through a European group in that time, which Stevie May didn't manage.

The simple fact is Stevie May is a busted flush, and that trundler on Saturday hardly changes that.  He will be fine as a squad player in the relatively pressure-free environment that is playing for St Johnstone.

However, we did get through a European group in that time, which Stevie May didn't manage.
The simple fact is Stevie May is a busted flush, and that trundler on Saturday hardly changes that.  He will be fine as a squad player in the relatively pressure-free environment that is playing for St Johnstone.

IMG_9566.jpg

I’m sure he’ll manage.

1 hour ago, tarapoa said:

Wow! You got through a group! Bet you wouldn't swap that for the three trophies we've won since your lot managed that!

14 minutes ago, The Marly said:

Wow! You got through a group! Bet you wouldn't swap that for the three trophies we've won since your lot managed that!

I wouldn't actually - the experiences vs Copenhagen, Madrid, Dnipro, Bayern beat Hampden any day - especially when it's empty.

Maybe if I had seen no major honours in my lifetime, I'd feel differently - but was fortunate to witness many in my younger years.