Aberdeen v St Johnstone 18/9/21

I'd feel a lot more confident if Liam Gordon was available to play, he just gels the defence. As it is, its makeshift and playing folk out of their natural positions, which isn't ideal. Then add the centre of midfield issues? Hmm doesn't look great. I'm willing to forget all that pish if E2 starts his first game though, E2 hattrick incoming. 

Genuinely no idea how we line up tbh. Add me to the list of folk who want E2 on from the start though, proper match winner who still has the element of surprise to his game.

f**k knows what you do around him though, as you probably want Wotherspoon, Kane and Middleton also starting.

Would it be brave/reckless to start Wotherspoon beside Craig then E2, Kane, and Middleton ahead of them?

Defence is simply a choice between Brown or Ambrose for me, so depends on Ambroses fitness.

Guessing at players fitness leads me to...

Clark

Rooney - Brown - Muller - McCart - Devine

Wotherspoon - Craig

Middleton - Kane - E2

Subs: Parish, Ambrose, Booth, Davidson, Crawford, MOH, May

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I'd feel a lot more confident if Liam Gordon was available to play, he just gels the defence. As it is, its makeshift and playing folk out of their natural positions, which isn't ideal. Then add the centre of midfield issues? Hmm doesn't look great. I'm willing to forget all that pish if E2 starts his first game though, E2 hattrick incoming. 

What's the score with the laddies injury Tam??

Need him in defence to be the organiser back there and his vocal contribution helps all around him.

Captain's armband awaiting his return as well for me and a new contract.

Edited by Templar Saint

I'll go for

Clark 

Brown       Muller     McCart  

Rooney                                     Devine 

Davidson     Craig 

Crawford            E2          Middleton 

No place for Kane or Spoony in the first 11, you play shite, you get dropped, simple. 

1 hour ago, tree house tam said:

I'll go for

Clark 

Brown       Muller     McCart  

Rooney                                     Devine 

Davidson     Craig 

Crawford            E2          Middleton 

No place for Kane or Spoony in the first 11, you play shite, you get dropped, simple. 

This is what I was thinking, but with MOH for Crawford. I think we've looked most threatening with them both on the pitch, Gallagher and McCrorie won't be able to handle them. If Motherwell can dismantle the Aberdeen defence with Van Veen and Watt then they'll do well. 

Think Booth might be back which is good for the bench but can't say he should be starting ahead of Devine. 

Would be surprised if Callum starts E2 though, going by the Melamed experience last year. I think he'll have a few cameos off the bench first. Expect Kane to start instead. Also think he'll want to play Crawdford, possibly in for Davidson given Muzz hasn't played for a few games. 

First time in a while we've got some real options, particularly if Bryson is back to fitness. 

2-1 to Saints, E2 and Rooney (32). 

Edited by Valentino Bolognese

Some big selection calls for Glass. 

Assuming he sticks with Brown, Longstaff and Ferguson in midfield, I think it is fairly clear that we need more movement and width ahead of them. Samuels seems the most obvious solution to this, based on what we saw against Ross County. Ojo, although he started the season well and has probably proved himself as a useful squad option, has been largely ineffective over the last couple of games and couldn't really argue with being dropped here. There could even be a case for playing Watkins through the middle, especially if we get movement beside and beyond him. I can't say I have been hugely impressed by Ramirez's general play in recent weeks, even if there have been mitigating circumstances. It would be great to have Hedges back as soon as possible, but I fear it will still be a week early since he wasn't even in the squad last week. 

There is probably a case for Bates to come in too, even if I have precisely no idea whether he is going to be any good for us or not yet. I would be sceptical of a McCrorie and Bates centre-back pairing, even though Gallagher hasn't made the most promising start with us. I can't really see McCrorie being dropped, though - I think Glass will want to keep him at centre-back because he can progress the ball and he covers ground quite well. 

I suppose, in the end, there is only one certainty here: at least one member of the Aberdeen coaching staff, at one point or another, regardless of the scoreline, will be carded by the referee for dissent. 

1 hour ago, starryfish said:

Not joining in with training until next week apparently 

That's unfortunate.

In that case my idea of the team would be:

Lewis

Ramsay Bates McCrorie MacKenzie

Brown Ferguson

Samuels Watkins Hayes

Ramirez

Although, I must admit I'm still far from happy with the options on the wings. Samuels looked a capable player from his cameo, but there's still major questions there. Jonny was absolute dugshit last season (albeit being asked to play as a wingback didn't help him). We need Hedges back, as he and Watkins will click I have no doubt.

I expect a reaction from the players on Saturday and think we'll win and keep a clean sheet on Saturday.

Stephen Glass hasn't really been allowed a honeymoon period at the club since arriving as manager but you sense that an element of the support & media are beginning to sharpen their knives and will be closely monitoring the next few weeks.

Many thought inconsistency would prevail this season, and I'm expecting a swashbuckling and dominant performance against a team that we've held the Indian sign over recently.

3-0 win for The Dons.

Clark

Brown Muller McCart

Rooney Davidson Craig Devine

MOH Kane E2

I wouldn’t argue against any of Wotherspoon or Crawford starting alongside Davidson tbh. Feel this is a game where we need to go and get a goal early, so let’s get right about them from the off. I’ll fee much better about the defence when we have Gordon back. I like a lot about Muller’s game but he’s inexperienced and it has shown on a couple of occasions at a huge cost.

Most of the predicted teams has MOH on the bench. Now that CD has him back playing well he will find a place for him.  I see MOH and Middleton behind Kane. CD very rarely plays new signings after 1 game from the bench.

That front 3 served us well in Europe and we need the pressing tactic today (and they scored in Europe)

We surely can't drop our top scorer in the league 😀

1 hour ago, Templar said:

Most of the predicted teams has MOH on the bench. Now that CD has him back playing well he will find a place for him.  I see MOH and Middleton behind Kane. CD very rarely plays new signings after 1 game from the bench.

That front 3 served us well in Europe and we need the pressing tactic today (and they scored in Europe)

We surely can't drop our top scorer in the league 😀

Based on what I have seen of St J recently, I would expect O’Halloran to play.

Yes O'Halloran will start. Middleton the other side probably. I picked E2 central in my team just to get him involved; also Kane had his poorest game for a while v rangers, and has played a lot already this season.

On the other hand, if Aberdeen like to play it around at the back, there's no better striker to close down and force a mistake than Chris Kane.

As @Templar says, Davidson hasn't previously been one for throwing new players straight in, but surely he will realise we waited far too long to use Melamed, and we've already lost the first couple of months, so to get value out of E2 we can't wait as long.

I guess a lot depends upon how good hes looked in training the past few weeks.  Might be a reasonable indicator of how highly rated he is if he's thrown in from the start today. Or the opposite..