Thursday Night Football Thread, 2021/22

lichtie23

I disagree to an extent. I actually thought Hill did well, especially running with the ball, and his throwing was seriously hampered by a painful finger in a splint. I’d like to see him at 100% fitness before writing him off as a starting QB. One thing you cannot deny is his toughness, and his ability to use his legs gives defences something to think about. Would also be interesting to see him fit, with Alvin Kamara.

As a neutral, enjoyed the game. Fairly rattled along with lots of incident.

I suppose you could blame sub 50% completion, a huge number of wildly inaccurate throws, and 4 horrible INT's on a finger injury, but what I saw was an entire offensive gameplan that included nothing but waggles, roll-outs, singular reads on every pass, hand-offs, and designed QB runs. i.e. even the Saints know he isn't up to doing the number one most important primary function of an NFL starting QB - dropping back into a pocket.

There's nothing that prevents a severely limited gameplan tailored to a limited QB from being successful in the short-term, Tebow, Kordell Stewart, RGIII and so on, but none of these players or schemes persist beyond novelty factor, because they get figured out and the limitations exposed extremely quickly. If NO seriously wants Hill to be a long-term option then he's going to have to learn how to be an orthodox pocket passer pretty quickly, and given his age and lack of actual QB'ing experience I don't believe that's remotely likely.

20 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

I suppose you could blame sub 50% completion, a huge number of wildly inaccurate throws, and 4 horrible INT's on a finger injury, but what I saw was an entire offensive gameplan that included nothing but waggles, roll-outs, singular reads on every pass, hand-offs, and designed QB runs. i.e. even the Saints know he isn't up to doing the number one most important primary function of an NFL starting QB - dropping back into a pocket.

There's nothing that prevents a severely limited gameplan tailored to a limited QB from being successful in the short-term, Tebow, Kordell Stewart, RGIII and so on, but none of these players or schemes persist beyond novelty factor, because they get figured out and the limitations exposed extremely quickly. If NO seriously wants Hill to be a long-term option then he's going to have to learn how to be an orthodox pocket passer pretty quickly, and given his age and lack of actual QB'ing experience I don't believe that's remotely likely.

I agree your assessnent is likely how it will play out, and Hill will have a successful career doing exactly what he was doing when Brees was the starting QB. Based on what I saw in that one Cowboys game though, I’d personally hang fire on writing him off completely as a starter, until fully fit and with his best player alongside him. Having said that, I do think you’ll be right in the long run. If so, Hill should be OK. Made for life. I think Brock Osweiler walked away from football with 54 million dollars in his hip pocket, for being Brock Osweiler. Hill could go to Canton as a first-ballot hall of fame gadget player.

2 hours ago, Brummie Clyde said:

I hated Brock Osweiler. Felt like about 90% of his career wins came against Da Bears

I went over to Denver for the game in which Osweiler made his home starting debut. When I booked the trip, thought it would be Peyton Manning, but his foot injury put paid to that. Was without doubt the best sporting experience I’ve ever had. Turned into the Superbowl 50 winning season, and the game was prime time against the Belichick Evil Empire. In the snow under the lights. Game goes to OT and Denver win when Osweiler hands it off to CJ Anderson, who runs it in for the winning TD. Cue absolute scenes in Mile High. We were hugging strangers next to us, atmosphere was off the scale. To top it off, Brady doesn’t stop to shake anyone’s hand, he sprints off up the tunnel like a big spoiled jessie, accompanied by 70,000 middle fingers from the home fans, mine included. Wonderful. 

Edited by pozbaird

Interesting match up tonight between two up and down teams. Getting to do-or-die time for both, because a loss for either would make it very, very difficult to see how they could land a playoff spot.

From a purely personal perspective I'm a bit torn on who I want to win it. Logic dictates Chargers fans should be hoping for a Vikings win as that harms an AFC rival's playoff bid and bumps LAC's S.O.S, but I'd like the Steelers to chase down the Ravens as I think the prospect of LAC v Pitt in the playoffs is a better match up than LAC v Balt and a Steelers win bumps LAC's S.O.V.

Bookies favouring the Vikes by 3, so they think this is essentially a pick-em. Having seen both teams this season I think the Vikes are possibly the stronger of the two but not by much, so I'll take them as the home team. Even though I don't rate Mike Zimmer as a HC, of the two QB's I think Cousins has more in his locker if one of them has to put this game on their backs . Big Ben is looking really creaky these days so if the rumours are true and he's binning it at the end of this season then he's probably made the right choice, if not a year late. Would probably favour the Steelers if this game was in Pittsburgh.

Steelers D is an absolute mess. Of all the franchises you'd think would put out a badly schemed, poorly disciplined outfit, the Steelers would be right at the bottom of the list, but here we are.

This season I'm seeing a lot more extra OL on offenses, and I think it's a response to this two-deep Safety nonsense that has sprung up all over the NFL. Teams have become so obsessed with D's being able to slow down passing O's that they've gone all out on mobile LB's and rushing the passer, so D fronts are just getting completely blown off the LoS, the small LB's can't get off blocks, and there are huge spaces at the second level because both Safeties are deep. 

Vikes line up with 6OL again, hand it off, and yet again there's no Steeler within 3-4 yards of Cook by the time he hits the L.O.S, and he waltzes 30 yards untouched for the TD.

It's like the Steelers are trying to play D with 9 men. A complete and utter shambles.

The Pats had Tremaine Edmunds on a rope the other night. Moved him around the field at will and totally abused him. I'm wondering if we're about to see a resurgence in running games across the NFL as offenses take advantage of these undersized D's.

Najee Harris has nearly got his QB killed, twice. First wasn't really his fault because BR didn't read the blitz and move him over, but the second time Harris totally ignored the blitzer and moved over to block a DL who was already engaged. Tomlin has to be seething inside, this is total clownshoes stuff on both sides of the ball.

"defenseless receiver" is complete and utter horseshit.

If QB's are determined to throw hospital passes into space between 2 defenders, I don't see why the rules should pander to it just because the receiver runs the risk of getting clobbered if he goes to catch it. 

Stop trying to throw passes to receivers who are nothing like open, instead of expecting DB's to pull up a deckchair and politely sit and watch you make a catch unchallenged. It's a fucking nonsense.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Yip, effing idiot cost them a good 20 seconds. Makes you wonder if teams actually practice running clock no TO situations because it's amazing how many players are oblivious in that scenario. 

WR's and DB's are invariably the thickest morons on the field. Every week there's something happens that makes you wonder how that guy remembers to breathe in and out when he wakes up in the morning.

Enjoyed they highlights. Najee Harris is superb player by the way. Steelers found a good one in the draft. 2 very poor QB performances though. Folk actually have Cousins in the MVP conversation……bot based on yesterday though. Ben is finished. 

Did the steelers play without an OL in the first half? There was no protection for Ben at all (not saying that’s a bad thing though!)

Second half was a cracking game.
Or a defensive line, as shown by the running stats for the Vikings in the first half