Thursday Night Football Thread, 2021/22

lichtie23

How does this thing of beauty not stand???

65557823416577c985b5380bd27106e3.jpg
I didn't really understand that. Great leap from the big man.

Bit of a shocker of of scoreline. Hopefully brings the Browns back into the rave for top spot in that division.

Mind you, seems like Landry and Chubb are both touch and go to play against the Patriots.

2 hours ago, steelmen said:

How does this thing of beauty not stand???

65557823416577c985b5380bd27106e3.jpg

Only watched highlights but the commentators were suggesting he hadn't been declared eligible.

I confess this is a rule that has always confused me, is there anything to stop the offense declaring everyone eligible on every play, just in case? Or is it the case that for every lineman you declare eligible you have to declare someone else like a RB, WR or TE ineligible to make up for it?

10 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Only watched highlights but the commentators were suggesting he hadn't been declared eligible.

I confess this is a rule that has always confused me, is there anything to stop the offense declaring everyone eligible on every play, just in case? Or is it the case that for every lineman you declare eligible you have to declare someone else like a RB, WR or TE ineligible to make up for it?

I believe you can only have a maximum of 5 players eligible to catch the ball on a play 

3 minutes ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

That'll be why then. Is it always obvious to defenses which players have been made eligible/ineligible? I often hear commentators mention that a player has been made eligible, how do they know, is there a signal by the officials or the QB?

The player has to inform the referee. I’m not sure if that is then relayed to the defence. The amount of times you see a lineman catching a TD with nobody near him makes me think it doesn’t 

That'll be why then. Is it always obvious to defenses which players have been made eligible/ineligible? I often hear commentators mention that a player has been made eligible, how do they know, is there a signal by the officials or the QB?

I think the refs announce it. Technically 6 can catch cause it could be a trick play to the QB.

2 hours ago, Small Bovine Maisonette said:

Maximum of six eligible players on every offensive play, two up on the LoS, and up to four in the backfield. When you see a lineman declare it's always when there's a maximum of 4 'skill' position players on the field + the QB, so one of the players not wearing the number of an eligible pass catcher can declare himself to the refs, who then announce the fact. It's important to declare yourself for a number of reasons. There are significant differences between eligible and ineligible players on offence with regard to where they can line up, whether or not that end of the OL has to be 'covered' by an eligible, who else can be up on the LoS, when they can cross the LoS and move down the field etc. If you don't declare yourself, you are regarded as simply being an extra OL, you are not an eligible receiver, and you can not cross the LoS and advance further down the field than the targeted receiver before the ball is in the air, else you will be penalised for 'ineligible down the field' the same as any other OL.

I've only watched that Dolphins play once, but I suspect the OL wasn't the intended receiver. So rather than it being a case of him forgetting to declare himself, I think he simply had a brainfart moment when he saw the ball coming to him, reached up and grabbed an errant pass intended for an actual eligible receiver.

Edited by Boo Khaki

Maximum of six eligible players on every offensive play, two up on the LoS, and up to four in the backfield. When you see a lineman declare it's always when there's a maximum of 4 'skill' position players on the field + the QB, so one of the players not wearing the number of an eligible pass catcher can declare himself to the refs, who then announce the fact. It's important to declare yourself for a number of reasons. There are significant differences between eligible and ineligible players on offence with regard to where they can line up, whether or not that end of the OL has to be 'covered' by an eligible, who else can be up on the LoS, when they can cross the LoS and move down the field etc. If you don't declare yourself, you are regarded as simply being an extra OL, you are not an eligible receiver, and you can not cross the LoS and advance further down the field than the targeted receiver before the ball is in the air, else you will be penalised for 'ineligible down the field' the same as any other OL.
I've only watched that Dolphins play once, but I suspect the OL wasn't the intended receiver. So rather than it being a case of him forgetting to declare himself, I think he simply had a brainfart moment when he saw the ball coming to him, reached up and grabbed an errant pass intended for an actual eligible receiver.

If it gets tipped he’s allowed to catch it though?

The rules should be rewritten to say ‘if the 300lbs+ lineman’s feet are above his head then the touchdown counts’

On 13/11/2021 at 10:01, steelmen said:

If it gets tipped he’s allowed to catch it though?

The rules should be rewritten to say ‘if the 300lbs+ lineman’s feet are above his head then the touchdown counts’

If he was originally not declared an eligible receiver and he was beyond the LoS when the ball was tipped, he'd still be flagged for 'ineligible downfield'.

Falcons looked pretty banged up and have just had their ass handed to them by Dallas so I can only see a Patriots win tonight. No desire to stay up and watch it but will definitely watch the YouTube highlights in the morning. 

Patriots go to 7-4 with a win. I think that takes them to the top of the division by half a game 

Have got a lazy start in the morning so considering getting up/staying up for the game later. Not really in the mood to sit up til that time watching the Pats cruise to a win but the talking heads on SSNFL all week have been talking them up so it might be worth the effort.