Thursday Night Football Thread, 2021/22

lichtie23

Great win for the Rams in a hostile environment. I genuinely think the Seahawks struggle to make the playoffs this season. Woods and Kupp are elite by the way, love what they bring to the Rams offence. Fair play to Geno for a pretty decent outing, only blip was the INT. I thought Stafford looked sluggish in the 1st half but improved enough to get the job done. 

They 15 minute highlights on YouTube are very good by the way. Check them out if you have t already. 

2 hours ago, CountyFan said:

What an illegal play. Botched by the refs. 

Rams soft D made that closer than it should have been. 

Did the commentator not say the rules had been changed ? But even he wasn’t sure in the end. 

22 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

The ref commentator had no idea if it was allowed or not. Which is nonsense. 

Pereira is a hack. Sticks up for every incorrect decision officials make because they’re his mates.

Very pleasing that he got that one completely wrong.

Edited by Nightmare

14 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Pereira is a hack. Sticks up for every incorrect decision officials make because they’re his mates.

Very pleasing that he got that one completely wrong.

100%. Can’t stand the guy. 

2 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

Did the commentator not say the rules had been changed ? But even he wasn’t sure in the end. 

You can punt twice if both kicks are behind the line of scrimmage. His second one he looked way over. Refs made the correct call assuming they thought he was behind the line, so its half on them and half in McVay for not challenging it. Didnt cost us anyway. 

• 2 weeks later...

It’s always a massive bonus to win a game without your franchise QB so that’s a big win for the Brownies. At the end of the season that could be the win that gets them into the playoffs. Broncos on the other hand are on a big slide. 4 defeats on the spin 

Scoreline makes it look close, but it really wasn’t. Browns’ first drive - they steamrollered the Broncos deefense… which resembled a wet paper poke. The result was never really in doubt. Against a team with no Mayfield, no Hunt, no Chubb, an injured OBJ and an injury suffered by Landry. Thoroughly deserved win for Cleveland, who have better players than Denver, are better coached than Denver, make better playcalls than Denver, and in Case Keenum, had a backup QB who is better than the Bridgewater / Lock duo at Denver, who, let’s be honest, should be backup QBs to whoever Denver should have in place by now…. Haven’t found him yet, and Peyton retired a while ago now.

Problem we’ve had is that Elway was a great QB, but a shite GM, and while we’ve whiffed a lot since SB50, we haven’t whiffed badly enough to be bottom feeders and have a chance of drafting a Trevor Lawrence. We’re constantly ‘mid table respectability’, which doesn’t really get us anything. Weird to suggest it, but IMHO, we needed an 0-16 season sometime recently.

Feckin’ boo…. Etc.

7 hours ago, pozbaird said:

Scoreline makes it look close, but it really wasn’t. Browns’ first drive - they steamrollered the Broncos deefense… which resembled a wet paper poke. The result was never really in doubt. Against a team with no Mayfield, no Hunt, no Chubb, an injured OBJ and an injury suffered by Landry. Thoroughly deserved win for Cleveland, who have better players than Denver, are better coached than Denver, make better playcalls than Denver, and in Case Keenum, had a backup QB who is better than the Bridgewater / Lock duo at Denver, who, let’s be honest, should be backup QBs to whoever Denver should have in place by now…. Haven’t found him yet, and Peyton retired a while ago now.

Problem we’ve had is that Elway was a great QB, but a shite GM, and while we’ve whiffed a lot since SB50, we haven’t whiffed badly enough to be bottom feeders and have a chance of drafting a Trevor Lawrence. We’re constantly ‘mid table respectability’, which doesn’t really get us anything. Weird to suggest it, but IMHO, we needed an 0-16 season sometime recently.

Feckin’ boo…. Etc.

I don’t blame you - it feels like we’ve all been watching the exact same Broncos team for the past 5 years or so. Always a decent enough roster but poor at the most important position and so continuously stuck in this kind of 6 to 8 win purgatory.

I think with the way the NFL is structured (ie. because of the draft), it is eventually worth being shite for a while in order to start accumulating some real talent and building a winning team. It would sound ridiculous in other sports, but it’s easier to go from bad to good than it is from mediocre to good in the NFL. There are certain exceptions to that with teams who draft terribly or are a mess in the front office, but there are also plenty of examples of teams who have turned things around pretty quickly.

Personally, as a fan of a divisional rival, I’m quite content for you guys to be stuck as a middling nothing team, though. But I fear this season will be the end of ol’ Vic and the revolving door of journeyman jobber QBs and the Broncos may be more of a threat again soon.

2 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

I don’t blame you - it feels like we’ve all been watching the exact same Broncos team for the past 5 years or so. Always a decent enough roster but poor at the most important position and so continuously stuck in this kind of 6 to 8 win purgatory.

I think with the way the NFL is structured (ie. because of the draft), it is eventually worth being shite for a while in order to start accumulating some real talent and building a winning team. It would sound ridiculous in other sports, but it’s easier to go from bad to good than it is from mediocre to good in the NFL. There are certain exceptions to that with teams who draft terribly or are a mess in the front office, but there are also plenty of examples of teams who have turned things around pretty quickly.

Personally, as a fan of a divisional rival, I’m quite content for you guys to be stuck as a middling nothing team, though. But I fear this season will be the end of ol’ Vic and the revolving door of journeyman jobber QBs and the Broncos may be more of a threat again soon.

The Broncos definitely have some good talent at certain positions - Surtain, Jeudy, Fant, Patrick… but it’s going to be a long road ahead to even think about winning the AFC West again. The Chiefs and Chargers are clearly better in most areas, and the Raiders are no pushovers. That’s the NFL though, and one of the reasons I love it. 
For example, I’ve been going to the London games since 2010, and until recently, if you’d told me I would be going to see the Browns v Bengals, I’d have been less than enamoued. Next year? I’d bloody love to see the Browns v Bengals. On Sunday the ‘hapless’ Dolphins and Jaguars served up an enthralling encounter that was won with a last second field goal. Thoroughly enjoyed it, and the new Spurs stadium is simply stunning.

Ach, why worry. When I became a Broncos fan, we had Kyle Orton at QB and were ‘middling’ at best. Then we had a glory spell, now we’re middling again.

Don’t know about other fans on here, but while the Broncos are my team, I absolutely love the sport, and can happily watch, and appreciate, the other 31 teams each week on Sky, and each year in London. 

We’ll be back… when Mahomes and Herbert chuck it, and we find a QB. 😎

Try struggling at QB since the 1940s, whilst your rivals have 2 Hall of Fame QBs in a row

15 hours ago, lichtie23 said:

An absolutely massive game tonight between 2 of the best teams in the NFC……and it’s on at stupid o’clock in the morning our time 😡

Meh, 11:20am kick off for me. The beauty of working from home is that I can watch this on my phone whilst also working.

7:20 pm kick off for me [emoji1303]
I’m thinking Cards by 4, something like 28 to 24?
Just home it’s a decent game.

One of these sides will be facing the Raiders in the Super Bowl [emoji1787][emoji1695][emoji6][emoji23]