WoSFL Cup 2021-22

11 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

This is not about the SJC even though I knew that would turn out to be the stick to beat those clubs who have entered it with. It's about expecting working men to play more games than professional footballers. Even going out of every cup in the first round that's more than 40 competitive matches this season. 

According to their website Talbot played 61 matches in 2017/18 including 9 in May alone.

2 hours ago, jimbaxters said:

But, but, but they're senior now and the Junior committee were awful-

I don't quite understand your point. If, and only if, Auchinleck reach every possible cup final and go a decent distant in the Scottish Cup then there is an outside chance they will play as many games as they did four years ago. Your original point was you can't expect working men to play more than 40 competitive matches in a season (even tho' almost every part time team will have played at least 40 games a year in the SPFL/SFL for at least 40 years). Yet Auchinleck have been repeatedly playing 50% more than that most seasons. I'm confused as to why something that doesn't appear to have been an issue in the past is an issue now.

42 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

I don't quite understand your point. If, and only if, Auchinleck reach every possible cup final and go a decent distant in the Scottish Cup then there is an outside chance they will play as many games as they did four years ago. Your original point was you can't expect working men to play more than 40 competitive matches in a season (even tho' almost every part time team will have played at least 40 games a year in the SPFL/SFL for at least 40 years). Yet Auchinleck have been repeatedly playing 50% more than that most seasons. I'm confused as to why something that doesn't appear to have been an issue in the past is an issue now.

It absolutely was an issue in the past but this is supposed to be a brave new world of senior football where 50/60 games inc three per week and cup finals with burnt out players have gone. They will be as of next season so it's not unreasonable to ask why this couldn't have been mitigated for this season.

34 minutes ago, jimbaxters said:

It absolutely was an issue in the past but this is supposed to be a brave new world of senior football where 50/60 games inc three per week and cup finals with burnt out players have gone. They will be as of next season so it's not unreasonable to ask why this couldn't have been mitigated for this season.

A coupla reasons I guess. The first is they were trying their hardest to ensure no-one was screwed over by Covid cutting things short last time round and that lead to a bigger league. Also they're very keen on packing in as many games as they can before the weather gets mental in case covid does cut things short again and, finally, it's not that many games really. Only a handful of WoS teams are in the Scottish Cup so we can discount that in consideration really. Two or three games for a very small amount of teams isn't really worth a whole lot of consideration regarding the over all set up of the leagues and cups. The South Region Challenge Cup was always gonna be a big cup but they've regionalised it to help fit it in. I've confused myself with the Killie Pie/Demolition Cup and which one is which but one isn't for all clubs and the Junior Cup is invitational so, if clubs want to add half a dozen extra games, that's on them and no-one else.

Seems an awful lot of huff and puff for a one off season that is affected by a once in a century event beyond anyone's control and will still see your club play less games than it did previously. 

Edited by AsimButtHitsASix

24 minutes ago, AsimButtHitsASix said:

A coupla reasons I guess. The first is they were trying their hardest to ensure no-one was screwed over by Covid cutting things short last time round and that lead to a bigger league. Also they're very keen on packing in as many games as they can before the weather gets mental in case covid does cut things short again and, finally, it's not that many games really. Only a handful of WoS teams are in the Scottish Cup so we can discount that in consideration really. Two or three games for a very small amount of teams isn't really worth a whole lot of consideration regarding the over all set up of the leagues and cups. The South Region Challenge Cup was always gonna be a big cup but they've regionalised it to help fit it in. I've confused myself with the Killie Pie/Demolition Cup and which one is which but one isn't for all clubs and the Junior Cup is invitational so, if clubs want to add half a dozen extra games, that's on them and no-one else.

Seems an awful lot of huff and puff for a one off season that is affected by a once in a century event beyond anyone's control and will still see your club play less games than it did previously. 

There's 20 WoS Premier teams, by the time the Quarter finals stage will roll around for the WoSFL Cup, SCC, and SJC the majority will be knocked out. Just the numbers, let alone someone else knocking them out (Hurlford v. Colony Park in the SJC,  Kilbirnie v. Camelon in the SCC). It's basically Talbot that are worried by this due to their recent history.

2 minutes ago, FairWeatherFan said:

It's basically Talbot that are worried by this due to their recent history.

The same recent history that they're really proud of and have managed to remain clearly the best team in the Juniors despite playing more games than anyone else at that level?

Surely  not

8 hours ago, glensmad said:

Hopefully the plans for a national non-league cup competition from tier 5 downwards will come to fruition, and the WoSFL have been at the forefront of those discussions by submitting a proposal to the 4 Leagues Meeting (Lowland/WoSFL/EoSFL/SoSFL) which has gained their approval and has now been submitted to the Scottish FA and is on the agenda for discussion at the next Pyramid Working Group meeting.

It has also been noted that the SJFA went public a week or two ago stating their intention to form a similar competition.  Hopefully all parties will work together to make this happen.

This will be brilliant if it happens. Any plans to include the Highland League or Northern teams