SPFL Review

3 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yet when it came to it he voted against the OFs interest and tried to hand power back to the rest of the clubs, while your scabby little club tried to take Rangers place and fucked everyone over.

What a seething mess. 

Whilst I didn't agree with it, Milne voted to keep 11-1 so we didn't end up with another Setanta issue.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

It won't be, it never is. It'll be about handing more power to these 5 clubs by taking it from somewhere else, and it won't be the OF who back down thanks to Aberdeen.

The 5 clubs have no interest in "improving Scottish football" beyond their own blinkered view of what that improvement would be. I'd be good money almost every person of power at these clubs would talk about "the biggest clubs playing against each other every week" as being a necessity in the top flight.

I’m more interested it what league other teams would rather be in. 

2 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I can however see that they may wish for a bigger league with a number of clubs whom they might regard as buffers to relegation, however. 

Then you're obscenely naive or obscenely young.

These things are always about making sure the big clubs get the majority of the pot. Bigger league means a bigger split, so they won't want that.

Cut the size of the top flight, cut the size of the second tier, cut off League One/Two and give "big" clubs some extra form of protection v relegation (much like the old 10k rule), that'll be the dream for these clubs.

I mean, you could always wait and see what proposals they make instead of publicly pissing your pants before they've even met, because you think Ron Gordon and John Nelms are going to go round to McDiarmid Park and pull the shutters down.

Just now, Namond Brice said:

I mean, you could always wait and see what proposals they make instead of publicly pissing your pants before they've even met, because you think Ron Gordon and John Nelms are going to go round to McDiarmid Park and pull the shutters down.

Why would i be worried about St Johnstone? We've more money than any of these clubs and would survive in a 10 team division regularly.

I'm more worried about them cutting out promotion for clubs in the Championship + completely shutting the door to the tiers further down.

There's no problem in principle with having separate organisations running the top two divisions and then whatever comes below that, as long as the money continues to be passed down and there continues to be no restrictions on relegation (either explicit or indirect via licensing/ground regulations).

That sort of solution might actually help the lower leagues market themselves as a unique entity and give the bigger clubs more freedom to explore different ideas of their own without having to worry about issues related to part-time clubs.

The issue is that any proposal wouldn't be about that, it would be about trying to entrench a genuine full-time/part-time divide and finding a way to grab back the small amount of money that is going to the League 1 and 2 sides.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Why would i be worried about St Johnstone? We've more money than any of these clubs and would survive in a 10 team division regularly.

I'm more worried about them cutting out promotion for clubs in the Championship + completely shutting the door to the tiers further down.

You regularly have "we're getting relegated" style meltdowns.

You wanted shot of your double winning manager during the first part of last season.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

There's no problem in principle with having separate organisations running the top two divisions and then whatever comes below that, as long as the money continues to be passed down and there continues to be no restrictions on relegation (either explicit or indirect via licensing/ground regulations).

That sort of solution might actually help the lower leagues market themselves as a unique entity and give the bigger clubs more freedom to explore different ideas of their own without having to worry about issues related to part-time clubs.

The issue is that any proposal wouldn't be about that, it would be about trying to entrench a genuine full-time/part-time divide and finding a way to grab back the small amount of money that is going to the League 1 and 2 sides.

Spoken like a true seasider!

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

I don't disagree that it's probably going to go along those lines.

I'll let the club know I wouldn't be happy with that if so. I'm not going to get upset about it this early though.

Just now, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

A setanta issue? You mean where certain clubs wanted to take less money for our TV rights.

Yes. Certain clubs wanted to take less money with a reliable distributor.

Others wanted to take more money from an unreliable distributor. 

For the life of me I can't remember how it played out.

12 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The job of the SPFL is to look after all 42 clubs, the purpose of this is to look after 5 clubs.

That's the idea, keep an open mind until you hear the details.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Then you're obscenely naive or obscenely young.

These things are always about making sure the big clubs get the majority of the pot. Bigger league means a bigger split, so they won't want that.

Cut the size of the top flight, cut the size of the second tier, cut off League One/Two and give "big" clubs some extra form of protection v relegation (much like the old 10k rule), that'll be the dream for these clubs.

I wouldn't mind being obscenely young but in your view its probably the former.

As I've said previously I wasn't overly enamoured with Ron's comments on the Athletic about wanting to reduce the amount of clubs in Scotland. My personal view is that reducing the amount of clubs in the top flight and trying to concentrate power is reductionist and in the long run probably to the detriment of the game.

You are right to point to this being something they might want to do, but I just can't see the scenario whereby any proposal of this nature has enough support to be pushed through.

That's why I feel the discussion thus far on here seems fairly limited. They'll know there isn't a realistic appetite for less clubs/concentration of power, therefore they may ask what are the alternatives that might be proposed which may be for the betterment of the clubs and potentially the game? 

Edited by Chefki Kuqi