SPFL Review

What do we want, as fans?? For the SPL*, I mean. 

I'm curious. Do we want Saturday 3pm, unless a game is live on TV or affected by Europe?

All the games staggered so they can all be live on TV?

I think there's an argument for every top league game being on a Sunday at 3pm, and nothing ever gets rescheduled.

*I know, it does sound better than saying the Scottish Premiership though. 

6 hours ago, tamba_trio said:

I'm curious. Do we want Saturday 3pm, unless a game is live on TV or affected by Europe?

I think there's an argument for every top league game being on a Sunday at 3pm, and nothing ever gets rescheduled.

This will be heresy to some - and would have been to me pre-pandemic - but we should absolutely bin the focus on Saturday 3pm kick-offs if it can bring in a more heavyweight broadcasting (television/online) deal. It's just not how the world works any more.

You can watch virtually every game on a stream yet the fans who want to go to the grounds still do. You'd need to be confident it would bring in the cash rather than everything being lost to hooky online sites and find a balance against the club television channels. But if that's the case go for it.

If marketed and priced properly it would take advantage of the fact more and more people are meh about the Premier and Champions League and that their interest in Scottish football is not based exclusively on the quality of it. You could open it up to fans well beyond Scotland as well.

Tin hat on, I'd make the weekend kick-offs Friday 1945, Saturday 1230, 1500, 1730, Sunday 1230, 1500...and yep, a couple of years ago I'd be volunteering to be first against the wall for such a suggestion. 

Games on a Sunday would have to be moved back to a Saturday if a team was playing in the Champions League on the Tuesday. Sundays are rubbish for football too as a result of our shoddy public transport system.

17 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

I've lived in countries where it's like that and it's shite for fans. Honestly I'd not go for it even if it guaranteed an extra £x0 million a season.

Is it though? In Germany there is a real hatred of Monday games, which have been binned from the second division, but the protests over other kick-off times are largely symbolic 'against modern football' stuff. Which is understandable in a way but everyone turns up for beer and bratwurst anyway. 

I can understand moves to resist summer football for practical reasons but Saturday 3pm kick-offs literally date from the old working week and half-day Saturdays when attendees were almost exclusively working men while the wives and kids stayed home. If we're convinced that's still the best time to play no bother but being tied to it because that's what it's always was - as lots of people clearly are - is daft.

This will be heresy to some - and would have been to me pre-pandemic - but we should absolutely bin the focus on Saturday 3pm kick-offs if it can bring in a more heavyweight broadcasting (television/online) deal. It's just not how the world works any more.
You can watch virtually every game on a stream yet the fans who want to go to the grounds still do. You'd need to be confident it would bring in the cash rather than everything being lost to hooky online sites and find a balance against the club television channels. But if that's the case go for it.
If marketed and priced properly it would take advantage of the fact more and more people are meh about the Premier and Champions League and that their interest in Scottish football is not based exclusively on the quality of it. You could open it up to fans well beyond Scotland as well.
Tin hat on, I'd make the weekend kick-offs Friday 1945, Saturday 1230, 1500, 1730, Sunday 1230, 1500...and yep, a couple of years ago I'd be volunteering to be first against the wall for such a suggestion. 

This is what will be suggested by the report, they'll claim that broadcasters will be willing to pay some outlandish figure like £60m a year to be able to show every game. In reality though, Sky are never going to pay that for Scottish football, the current deal already includes most of the big ticket games (including the main four) so all you're adding on is filler content. I suspect they have no interest in regularly showing games like Motherwell v St Mirren, and any other broadcasting option is a massive risk.

I don't mind a slight departure from the reliance in Saturday 3pm, but asking Ross County fans to travel to Livingston on a Monday night for the sake of a tiny group of TV viewers who would be interested is daft.

Aye, there's clearly a subjective element to how much you think something should be worth, when ultimately 'what someone is willing to pay for it' is the final answer. Scottish football - according to Wiki at least - cashes an incredibly price per game from TV, relatively speaking, and is valued way higher than some middling leagues. On the other hand we clearly have more games which could be sold and some middling leagues bank a lot more than us.

I agree it's highly likely the report will say there's more money to be chased through TV (and desperately trying to sell beer in grounds) in whatever form. Whether we get it or not a different matter.

9 hours ago, Les Cabbage said:

Get lunchtime/Sunday football in the bin please.

Friday night > Saturday evening > Saturday 3pm > Midweek evening > Sunday afternoon > Sunday lunchtime

Why not 2pm on a Saturday and home for tea?

9 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:
11 hours ago, ropy said:
Why not 2pm on a Saturday and home for tea?

3pm football on a Saturday finishes earlier than work on a Friday (for 9-5ers). Getting home for your tea shouldn't be an issue.

Some people go to away games

Some people go to away games
Either they're close enough that you're getting home in time for tea anyway, or one hour isn't making much difference heading back to Lanarkshire from Dingwall.

If you moved it back to 2pm so people can have their tea then you'll have people complaining they don't have time for lunch.

26 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

Either they're close enough that you're getting home in time for tea anyway, or one hour isn't making much difference heading back to Lanarkshire from Dingwall.

If you moved it back to 2pm so people can have their tea then you'll have people complaining they don't have time for lunch.

I fill the gap with pies.

On 19/02/2022 at 10:23, Handsome_Devil said:

I can understand moves to resist summer football for practical reasons but Saturday 3pm kick-offs literally date from the old working week and half-day Saturdays when attendees were almost exclusively working men while the wives and kids stayed home. If we're convinced that's still the best time to play no bother but being tied to it because that's what it's always was - as lots of people clearly are - is daft.

Presumably when Sat 3pm was decided on there were no floodlights and no-one had cars either? 

57 minutes ago, DiegoDiego said:

This is where expanding the kiosk capabilities to table service pre-match becomes a money spinner.

10 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Presumably when Sat 3pm was decided on there were no floodlights and no-one had cars either? 

Presumably.

For some reason I had it in my head that in the early days of football there were slight variations and it took a while for Saturday 3pm to become standard but a quick google suggests it's based the 1850 Factory Act (!) which mandated Saturday work to end at 2pm.