SPFL Review

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

:lol:

Fucking hell.

*shrugs*

The club clearly have a value for every player and will sell if its reached regardless of whether folk think its too high or low. I don't know how I'm "swallowing" anything by saying that tbh, it's not as if I'm saying I think it's the right decision. 

On 15/09/2021 at 09:33, capt_oats said:

I could be wrong, and happy to stand corrected if I am, but do Dundee not shift fewer season tickets now than when the Americans took over?

Have Dundee checked their junk folder for the missing season ticket application emails?

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

I've never understood this argument, which seems to be exclusively made by Old Firm fans. The qualifying rounds are still part of European competition and therefore it is entirely reasonable to describe it as "Europe".

Also, it definitely will change, 3rd place/cup winners are guaranteed group stage football next year.

It isn’t really, they qualify for European qualification spots, sometimes it costs more to go participate in these ties than the money than the money you get back. If people wish to fool themselves by thinking they have ‘qualified for Europe’ by just being eligible to participate in the qualifiers then fine but nobody out-with Scotland is going to buy in to it as a USP.

14 minutes ago, gannonball said:

If people wish to fool themselves by thinking they have ‘qualified for Europe’ by just being eligible to participate in the qualifiers then fine but nobody out-with Scotland is going to buy in to it as a USP.

The qualifiers are qualifiers for the Group Stage, not the actual competition. UEFA themselves have that stated as a fact, so are you genuinely telling me that you know better than UEFA about it?

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I would like to know what attracted @AmericanFan and @C. MacLeod to follow the Scottish game? And why they didn't immediately pick one of the ugly sisters to support. 

For me, it's as simple as the fact that ESPN took access to about half a dozen La Liga games per week (available on beIN for several years) away from me while at the same time CBS gained the rights to the Scottish Premiership and is showing some games. I have access to Scottish league games for the first time (aside from the occasional Rangers-Celtic game). So it's something to watch aside from the usual Premier League fare and I want to learn more about the other clubs, which in the past have basically just been a list of names in the table to me. And I've always had an affinity for Scotland (part of my complicated English/Scottish/Irish heritage). As for not supporting Rangers or Celtic, well, there's just too much nonsense (sectarian and otherwise) in which I prefer not to involve myself. So I'm just feeling my way around and dipping my toe in the lochs.

8 hours ago, AmericanFan said:

I enjoyed my trip to Scotland a few summers back, the people there and have met some cool Scottish people traveling other places in Europe. My heritage is also from the Highlands (my last name is regularly found in Scotland, at least that's the impression I'm under), so those are the reasons to follow.

As a fan of a small-market baseball team, I thought following Celtic or Rangers would be akin to a Scottish person becoming a Yankees or Red Sox fan if they started following Major League Baseball. To me, it would be kind of a lame move to start following a foreign league and pick the richest team.

That's a good point. I do think if an American fan is going to adopt a club they should focus on clubs that aren't likely to be bouncing up and down from the league (or just down) because it's difficult to follow a club once they're in the lower leagues (unless you've become so committed that you're willing to pay to watch said team in lower leagues). It's easy to hook on as a fan of Manchester City, Manchester United or Chelsea in the Premier League because money keeps them competitive all the time, so you get the instant gratification. But there's also something a bit sordid about it all and there are things about Rangers and Celtic that are similar red flags to me. That said, I would never advise someone to adopt Norwich or Fulham because chances are they won't be on TV for long. But there are plenty of other clubs from those who might challenge the money clubs to those who are comfortably mid-table who might strike one's fancy. 

9 minutes ago, C. MacLeod said:

That's a good point. I do think if an American fan is going to adopt a club they should focus on clubs that aren't likely to be bouncing up and down from the league (or just down) because it's difficult to follow a club once they're in the lower leagues (unless you've become so committed that you're willing to pay to watch said team in lower leagues). It's easy to hook on as a fan of Manchester City, Manchester United or Chelsea in the Premier League because money keeps them competitive all the time, so you get the instant gratification. But there's also something a bit sordid about it all and there are things about Rangers and Celtic that are similar red flags to me. That said, I would never advise someone to adopt Norwich or Fulham because chances are they won't be on TV for long. But there are plenty of other clubs from those who might challenge the money clubs to those who are comfortably mid-table who might strike one's fancy. 

I take your point, albeit I think there's something quite nice about Norwich and Fulham, and part of the problem the 5 clubs are discussing is that actually Sky have a preference to show Championship games - including Norwich and Fulham - over SPL games. In the SPL there's a definite point, any somewhat Yo-Yo teams could be very difficult to follow once in the Scottish second tier. 

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

1 hour ago, gannonball said:

It isn’t really, they qualify for European qualification spots, sometimes it costs more to go participate in these ties than the money than the money you get back. If people wish to fool themselves by thinking they have ‘qualified for Europe’ by just being eligible to participate in the qualifiers then fine but nobody out-with Scotland is going to buy in to it as a USP.

This is something people say that hasn't been true for years. The prize money for these competitions, even in the qualifying rounds, is quite good. UEFA seem to count the qualifying rounds as part of the tournament, but I'm sure you know better.

6 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

The qualifiers are qualifiers for the Group Stage, not the actual competition. UEFA themselves have that stated as a fact, so are you genuinely telling me that you know better than UEFA about it?

4 hours ago, craigkillie said:

This is something people say that hasn't been true for years. The prize money for these competitions, even in the qualifying rounds, is quite good. UEFA seem to count the qualifying rounds as part of the tournament, but I'm sure you know better.

I can remember Scottish Clubs moaning about the costs of it it not so long ago but if they have upped the qualification round payments then fair enough it’s probably long overdue.
I wasn’t aware Uefa are dishing out ‘at least you tried’ medals as well by making the qualification now as part out the proper tournament but if it means a more even spread of payments then  I’m all for it.

Edited by gannonball

8 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I take your point, albeit I think there's something quite nice about Norwich and Fulham, and part of the problem the 5 clubs are discussing is that actually Sky have a preference to show Championship games - including Norwich and Fulham - over SPL games. In the SPL there's a definite point, any somewhat Yo-Yo teams could be very difficult to follow once in the Scottish second tier. 

Oh, definitely Norwich and Fulham are wonderful clubs to follow. It's just hard for an American because when they're in the Championship it's difficult (although the ESPN+ streaming service has a few matches). I'm especially fond of Fulham because I think they have one of the best stadiums. If I lived in London I'd love attending games at Craven Cottage. It has such atmosphere. And I love that you can get to the game by ferry. They do have a good bit of American support as well because they've had quite a number of American players (including Dempsey and McBride). Clubs that aren't going down are easy because every single Premier League game is available here on the NBC channels (although you have to have Peacock streaming service now to get them all -- thankfully my cable company gives me Peacock Premium at no extra charge since I'm not really a streamer). Hopefully NBC Universal (which owns Sky now) will be able to extend their contract. I'd hate it if the Premier League went behind the ESPN+ paywall (I never miss an Arsenal game no matter how much it has pained me at times over the past few years 😅).

16 team top league (call it Scottish Premier League or SPL obvs)

Play everyone h+a (30 games)
Split into 8s. Play all once (37 games)

Relegate 16th and 15th automatically. 14th and 13th enter relegation playoffs (more in a moment).

Second division (Scottish Second Division or SSD)

Remaining 6 from Champ plus ten from league 1 for 16 team league run almost exactly the same way as the SPL. Tweak is that 16th and 15th are automatically relegated but no teams from this league enter relegation playoffs. For promotion, top two go up automatically. 3rd and 4th enter playoffs.

Third division (Scottish Third Division or STD)
Remaining ten teams in league system. Play each other 4 times a season as is now. Top promoted automatically. 4th, 3rd, 2nd go into playoffs for remaining promo spot.
Not arsed how relegation out of this works it depends how much highland/lowland league teams wanna play in the league system. Would be good to have a solid moving pyramid tho.

PLAYOFFS
SPL rele playoffs: entering are SPL 14th and 13th and SSD 3rd and 4th.

SPL 14th plays SSD 3rd in two legged tie home and away. Winner plays SPL next season
SPL 13th plays SSD 4th in two legged tie home and away. Winner plays SPL next season.

STD promo playoffs. 4th play 3rd two legs. Winner plays 2nd for spot in SSD.

Invoice me @ Neil Don

Putting efforts to review Scottish football is good and should be encouraged. 

Doing it either in this manner fronting just some teams, or in any manner which involves giving cash to the absolute conartists at any of "The big three" firms is not. The inclusion of someone like Deloitte is why I don't mind Saints declining, even though in general I'd probably want Brown to be more in favour of investigating reform than he probably is. 

Apologies if I've missed it but can't see anyone has mentioned the time League of Ireland tried this and ended up with the suggestion of painting bus stops in club colours - https://www.balls.ie/football/jonathan-gabay-354580-354580

5 minutes ago, FrankChickens1 said:

Putting efforts to review Scottish football is good and should be encouraged. 

Doing it either in this manner fronting just some teams, or in any manner which involves giving cash to the absolute conartists at any of "The big three" firms is not. The inclusion of someone like Deloitte is why I don't mind Saints declining, even though in general I'd probably want Brown to be more in favour of investigating reform than he probably is. 

Apologies if I've missed it but can't see anyone has mentioned the time League of Ireland tried this and ended up with the suggestion of painting bus stops in club colours - https://www.balls.ie/football/jonathan-gabay-354580-354580

Niall Quinn's one a few years later seemingly little better, even if not as silly https://www.extratime.com/articles/22941/niall-quinns-meagre-plan-for-irish-football-will-need-more-than-soft-media-coverage-to-pass-muster/