SPFL Review

38 minutes ago, mizfit said:

I’d imagine that’s the same with most cities that host an amateur league?

Yeah, of course. That seemed to be his point that all clubs (barring the Old Firm if they're still in Europe) miss out on a lot of revenue due to Saturday juvenile, amateur and Junior football.

32 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

I don't have a problem with him researching this, but the real reason he wants later kick-offs is nothing to do with this and everything to do with his misguided notion that lots of people in America really want to watch Scottish football.

You may be right but that's definitely how he framed it. Was a couple of years ago that he first mentioned it. I played almost every Saturday from about the age of 13 to 30. Could only attend midweek or Saturday games when ours was postponed so I was onboard with it.

I don't have a problem with him researching this, but the real reason he wants later kick-offs is nothing to do with this and everything to do with his misguided notion that lots of people in America really want to watch Scottish football.

It has everything to do with increasing attendances. Since Cormack has come in, he’s consistently talked about increasing crowds to around 15k. He knows that that is the main way that we can increase our income.

The club have even said it is to allow international broadcast, with attendances seemingly a secondary consideration.

As I've said before, it's worth a try, but I think the later time could put off as many people as it helps - particularly families. I also think that one of the biggest issues will be the lack of a consistent kick-off time, clearly the likes of St Mirren or Motherwell are less likely to agree to a later kick-off given the impact on their fans, so you could end up with the times jumping about from week to week.

1 minute ago, craigkillie said:

The club have even said it is to allow international broadcast, with attendances seemingly a secondary consideration.

As I've said before, it's worth a try, but I think the later time could put off as many people as it helps - particularly families. I also think that one of the biggest issues will be the lack of a consistent kick-off time, clearly the likes of St Mirren or Motherwell are less likely to agree to a later kick-off given the impact on their fans, so you could end up with the times jumping about from week to week.

Aberdeen are the away team though. 

Next time when it's us there's definitely going to be chat about getting more people in the door.

We were hardly going to say that we were moving the kick off time so that Dundee could make more money.

The wider issue as to when the best time for a game to take place is primarily focused on increasing attendances. Overseas broadcast is obviously a factor but the main aim is to get more people in the ground. Whether that materialises or not is a different story but I’d imagine that we’ll see a few games with a later kick off as a trial.

TBF, amateur kick off time was always a pain when I played, because it was a 2pm Saturday KO. The people that play on a Saturday afternoon are all obviously interested in football and most would go to games if their own games were off. In Aberdeen alone that's 5 divisions of around 14 clubs in each with about 16 players in each club, that's 1,120 football fans in Aberdeenshire alone that miss out. This doesn't include women's, Juvenile, and possibly Junior? 

12 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

TBF, amateur kick off time was always a pain when I played, because it was a 2pm Saturday KO. The people that play on a Saturday afternoon are all obviously interested in football and most would go to games if their own games were off. In Aberdeen alone that's 5 divisions of around 14 clubs in each with about 16 players in each club, that's 1,120 football fans in Aberdeenshire alone that miss out. This doesn't include women's, Juvenile, and possibly Junior? 

Plus coaches, officials etc

14 hours ago, johnnydun said:

It looks like we are starting to dip the toes in to see what demand is out there, by Dundee v Aberdeen moving to 6pm...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58671492

This is exactly the kind of things I was hoping the review would lead to.

Clubs need to think a bit differently to how things have always been. If a Saturday 6pm game brings in revenue over and above otherwise, then surely a good thing.

The 3pm kick off, as much as we are all used to it, isn't really a good time slot for fans or TV. We are all now used to games being moved anyway. The 3 hour difference isn't huge and actually might allow folk who either work weekends or play amatur football to go. 

It may all fail and be pointless, but hats off to Dundee and Aberdeen for even attempting it. Let's hope it all works. 

Remember when apparently everyone hated the Sunday 6:05pm kick off time?

In hindsight it was perfect, right after Super Sunday. I think looking again at 6:30pm Sunday kick offs would be a good idea.  With the hope of more teams playing Thursday night in the Europa/Conference groups it is going to put more emphasis on Sunday games and that time slot doesn't clash with any EPL games.

24 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

With all these times, it depends who are playing. Motherwell v St Mirren at that time great, but with the absolute state of Sunday public transport something like Aberdeen v Motherwell would be a nightmare.

Aye. Needs to be sensible. Can't have Aberdeen v County on at 6pm.

Or Old Firm v anybody.

From a purely selfish PoV Sunday nights can get in the bin as that's the ice hockey slot.

Also competing against NFL and La Liga in that time slot if international broadcasters are a factor. 

Have a feeling we just have to lump it with lunch time kick offs on a Sunday 

3 hours ago, coprolite said:

Plus coaches, officials etc

And the family members and friends that come to watch the games. I'm way way too old to play now but have kids that do and a later kickoff on Saturdays would be a godsend for me and a lot of other parents who have to chose between watching their kids play or watch their team play. 

My abiding memory of Motherwell playing at Dens in a 6pm (or was it 7pm?) Saturday kickoff in the cup a couple of years back (apart from the smallest home crowd I've ever seen there), was the most impressively pished Motherwell support I've ever seen, European away game excepted. 

Could help the atmosphere and the local licensed trade - probably bad for the minor injuries clinic at A&E and the police cells occupancy.

Edited by Swello

17 minutes ago, Swello said:

My abiding memory of Motherwell playing at Dens in a 6pm (or was it 7pm?) Saturday kickoff in the cup a couple of years back (apart from the smallest home crowd I've ever seen there), was the most impressively pished Motherwell support I've ever seen, European away game excepted. 

Could help the atmosphere and the local licensed trade - probably bad for the minor injuries clinic at A&E and the police cells occupancy.

Yes, I was one of the few Dees at this game. A poor Dundee team, in a cup game, on the telly, on a cold night, great Motherwell support tbf.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

From a purely selfish PoV Sunday nights can get in the bin as that's the ice hockey slot.

Also competing against NFL and La Liga in that time slot if international broadcasters are a factor. 

Have a feeling we just have to lump it with lunch time kick offs on a Sunday 

6pm Sunday will bomb if the mission is the US market.  Only an idiot would put that forward.  Hell Saturday 6pm for half the year will struggle with the College Football season.