SPFL Review

8 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I think they should have bars in the concourse, limit the drinks to 3 per ticket until we are trusted again. The prices would no doubt be astronomical but it would bring in a new revenue stream to clubs. Possibly apart from category A games.

But we all know why that's not going to happen, and we all know whose fault that is.

*insert unconscious doubly incontinent post-celebration bear image here*

Be interesting to see what the review recommends and like others I hope it will be larger leagues, a name change and better TV coverage. I very much doubt anything will change though.

10 hours ago, mizfit said:

Genuinely a sceptic when it comes to these announcements. When was the one where they decided renaming our leagues to copy the English set up was a good idea?

Personally speaking, I’d like to see the following:

Expansion to top flight of 16 clubs with the split removed. Teams play home and away. Bottom 2 automatically down.

Championship becomes a league of 16 sides. Top 2 promoted.

League 1 & 2 merge to create a new league. Promote sides from the HFL & LL to make this a 16 team league. 2 sides down and winners of HFL & LL promoted.

Challenge cup removes the colts and is expanded to include highland and LL sides.

Agreement on set ticket pricing across the board, and a push from all clubs to encourage under 12s free entry (Saints have done this for some time, and Motherwell are offering season tickets to those on low income.)

Beyond that, I’m not entirely sure. However I can see them deciding their colts are joining Rangers & Celtic B’s colts in the lowland and highland league respectively, removal of the promotion/relegation play off and a reduced top flight.

...and bring back Third Lanark.

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

I think they should have bars in the concourse, limit the drinks to 3 per ticket until we are trusted again. The prices would no doubt be astronomical but it would bring in a new revenue stream to clubs. Possibly apart from category A games.

Until then warm up some cans of Carling and drink it from a McDonald's cup to create the fan experience.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

This will be another costly review, think tank, call it what you want that will result in very little changing unless the self interest, and greed is removed, and the greater good thought about then we are fucked.

In the Rinus Michels, Henry MC Leish and no doubt many others have been asked for thier view on the game and how to improve it ,

But at no point have the supporters been asked , the gullible, easy touch, cash cow that clubs have GIRFUY 'ed for decades.

But when they know they have a fan base who they can and often do bend over and shaft on many occasions, without that recipient uttering one meaningful word of defiance, why would they not continue.

Remember the Sevco vote that was the last time fans stood up to clubs and reminded them who's fucking game it is , not the club's, or the authorities it's the supporters game, 

Until fans take a united cross club stand and vote with thier feet clubs will continue to treat the fans as guaranteed income with no recourse

I think calling it that is a bit fanciful for now considering a non glasgow club has made it to the actual proper competition for what about 15 years now? Although with the third European competition that could change.

I've never understood this argument, which seems to be exclusively made by Old Firm fans. The qualifying rounds are still part of European competition and therefore it is entirely reasonable to describe it as "Europe".

Also, it definitely will change, 3rd place/cup winners are guaranteed group stage football next year.

16 hours ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If  we're talking about league  construction then the league is  the  context  of  the  question  and  Aberdeen's 5 top 3  finishes make them clearly  the  most successful team in the  rather  arbitrary 10 year  window. Hearts and Hibs have also finished top since St  Johnstone and did so in a league that involved the new solvent version of Rangers

Motherwell have finished in the top  3 four times compared  to  St Johnstone's one in  2013 so if anybody's got a right  to  complain about being left out of the gang of 5 it would be  them

That would make it a gang of 6. Or else drop someone out...

12 hours ago, PauloPerth said:

Doors anyone really feel increasing income from £27m a year to £50m will help produce ‘better more technically gifted players’ ?!

The SPFL and clubs might wonder what chance they’ve got when fans don’t believe that doubling the income for the entire professional game would make any difference. 

5 "top tier" clubs, eh?

Hibs - top flight for 7 of the last 10 years.

Hearts - 8 of the last 10 years

Dundee - 6 of the last 10 years

Dundee United - 6 of the last 10 years.

Aberdeen - full house of the last ten years.

So one proper top flight club, and four yo-yo clubs, trying to work out the future for a league they might not spend much time in over the next decade.

6 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I would like to know what attracted @AmericanFan and @C. MacLeod to follow the Scottish game? And why they didn't immediately pick one of the ugly sisters to support. 

I enjoyed my trip to Scotland a few summers back, the people there and have met some cool Scottish people traveling other places in Europe. My heritage is also from the Highlands (my last name is regularly found in Scotland, at least that's the impression I'm under), so those are the reasons to follow.

As a fan of a small-market baseball team, I thought following Celtic or Rangers would be akin to a Scottish person becoming a Yankees or Red Sox fan if they started following Major League Baseball. To me, it would be kind of a lame move to start following a foreign league and pick the richest team.

1 hour ago, Willie adie said:

This will be another costly review, think tank, call it what you want that will result in very little changing unless the self interest, and greed is removed, and the greater good thought about then we are fucked.

In the Rinus Michels, Henry MC Leish and no doubt many others have been asked for thier view on the game and how to improve it ,

But at no point have the supporters been asked , the gullible, easy touch, cash cow that clubs have GIRFUY 'ed for decades.

But when they know they have a fan base who they can and often do bend over and shaft on many occasions, without that recipient uttering one meaningful word of defiance, why would they not continue.

Remember the Sevco vote that was the last time fans stood up to clubs and reminded them who's fucking game it is , not the club's, or the authorities it's the supporters game, 

Until fans take a united cross club stand and vote with thier feet clubs will continue to treat the fans as guaranteed income with no recourse

I'm not sure there's a legitimate single version of the greater good of Scottish football though. 

High performing national team?

European club success?

Competitive domestic league?

Strong community clubs?

Producing better quality players?

Some of those go hand in hand, but not all and getting a unifying vision would be difficult enough, never mind achieving it.

15 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

5 "top tier" clubs, eh?

So one proper top flight club, and four yo-yo clubs, trying to work out the future for a league they might not spend much time in over the next decade.

You're a top tier club if you're currently in the top tier. Just as your team are a third tier club as you lot are currently shite.

Edited by Mr. X

9 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

5 "top tier" clubs, eh?

Aye, Motherwell should definitely have been in the 5 and had Kilmarnock not messed up last season, they would have been in it, too.

As should have St Johnstone.

So one proper top flight club and one nearly proper top flight club and 3 pretendy top flight clubs.

14 minutes ago, scottsdad said:

5 "top tier" clubs, eh?

"as a Rangers Falkirk fan I am basically an irrelevance and am sad the big boys wont play with me any more"

"what can I do to sook some greenies ?"

1362085742_Screenshot2020-12-07at08_49_39.png.a8eddec94f720c66a7b1d7b5e8ac83d5.png