SPFL Review

18 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Whilst we arse about from crisis to crisis like a mad alky giving zero fucks for almost 50 year and are instantly recognised as the clusterfuck big team.

Perhaps the best, most poetic description of my team I’ve ever read. 

20 minutes ago, Les Cabbage said:

Just read the last 13 pages and I’m honestly absolutely shocked that St Johnstone fans are furious, it’s not like them.

The investigation itself, well, part of me is skeptical, the patter about reducing the clubs in the league is shite and I really hope we avoid that but I don’t hold too much faith that we will, however there is absolutely 0 chance of that being voted through anyway.

The other part of Ron Gordon that gives me the fear is pricing, ticket prices have shot up for Hibs since his arrival and while that may not affect this directly, it wouldn’t shock me if he inflicted those ideas on others, I was told he was asking staff around the place if they think people would pay £40 for a derby ticket the other week.

On a more positive side though, they’re absolutely aware in our failings from a marketing perspective. Again, going back to Mr Gordon, he’s spoken about having club shops in airports and in city centres to improve the brand worldwide and about the passion of our supporters in this country being our USP, so if they could use that to build the brand and reputation that could be fruitful, although I’m not sure how that’ll happen.

It’s safe to say I’m skeptical about this and what benefit it’ll actually bring and for that matter if anything will actually change off the back of it in honesty.

Oh yeah and f**k Deloitte.

It's a good point about ticket prices. I know when Burnley were bought by Americans, the ticket prices shot up, with only aesthetic changes to stadium vs promised grand plans.

What should be of a slight concern is that its all great these folk coming in with grand plans for growing their own clubs, but from an outside in view, it doesn't look like these have been delivered, Aberdeen and Dundee stadiums being the obvious examples, but as you say club shops in airport too sound good, but not yet delivered.

I'd have though having someone like burrows would have helped as he seems to do what he sets out. 

There is no plan that will involve making our game more competitive that the Old Firm won't shut down.

Any plan that upsets the SPFL will result in them threatening anyone who might vote for it.

Any plan that involves reorganisation will get shut down by the teams who are one place short of promotion and teams like Albion Rovers who don't want to supply sandwiches on a long drive.

1 hour ago, velo army said:

I was thinking Aberdeen, but I'd credited them with 2 cup wins instead of just the one, so that was a mistake. I was also thinking of a few runners up spots and final appearances they've had. 

If  we're talking about league  construction then the league is  the  context  of  the  question  and  Aberdeen's 5 top 3  finishes make them clearly  the  most successful team in the  rather  arbitrary 10 year  window. Hearts and Hibs have also finished top since St  Johnstone and did so in a league that involved the new solvent version of Rangers

Motherwell have finished in the top  3 four times compared  to  St Johnstone's one in  2013 so if anybody's got a right  to  complain about being left out of the gang of 5 it would be  them

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

13 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

If  we're talking about league  construction then the league is  the  context  of  the  question  and  Aberdeen's 5 top 3  finishes make them clearly  the  most successful team in the  rather  arbitrary 10 year  window. Hearts and Hibs have also finished top since St  Johnstone and did so in a league that involved the new solvent version of Rangers

Motherwell have finished in the top  3 four times compared  to  St Johnstone's one in  2013 so if anybody's got a right  to  complain about being left out of the gang of 5 it would be  them

We are too big for this nonsense

It's a good point about ticket prices. I know when Burnley were bought by Americans, the ticket prices shot up, with only aesthetic changes to stadium vs promised grand plans.
What should be of a slight concern is that its all great these folk coming in with grand plans for growing their own clubs, but from an outside in view, it doesn't look like these have been delivered, Aberdeen and Dundee stadiums being the obvious examples, but as you say club shops in airport too sound good, but not yet delivered.
I'd have though having someone like burrows would have helped as he seems to do what he sets out. 

Cormack has delivered on building us a training ground since he came back in 2017, with him and his pals covering the majority of the £13million costs. I think it’s understandable that the stadium hasn’t been built yet, considering the financial impact of COVID and the council now offering a site which would be much better for all parties.

8 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

If you’re going to close your mind to change in Scottish football unless all self interest is left at the door then I hope you enjoy the current set up we have. 

I'm willing to bet in advance, that I'll enjoy the current, shitty set up, more than any alternative likely to result from this exercise. 

Whilst the idea of 'getting rid' of the ugly sisters from 'our' league would be most welcome in reality wherever they went their exploits would still be thrust upon us by the sycophantic media whatever league they ended up in. They and their supporters would still be a stain on our society as they would still play their home games in Scotland and embarrass themselves (and us as a nation at every turn) perhaps moreso as the Manchester exploits are continued wherever they visit.

I don't like the idea of losing the smaller teams and in fact more should be done to support them. I've long thought an option for a home season ticket should include a bolt on to allow access to a local lower league team's home games with that money going to that club. This would potentially increase the crowds (of supporters who don't travel away) and provide extra income for the club via food/drink sales etc. Maybe need a bit of work but might be worth a trial.

5 minutes ago, Joe Terrapin said:

I've long thought an option for a home season ticket should include a bolt on to allow access to a local lower league team's home games with that money going to that club.

That will not happen - our ticket prices are too high as it is, because we do comparatively shite commercially via the TV and SPFL.

1 minute ago, Joe Terrapin said:

Whilst the idea of 'getting rid' of the ugly sisters from 'our' league would be most welcome in reality wherever they went their exploits would still be thrust upon us by the sycophantic media whatever league they ended up in. They and their supporters would still be a stain on our society as they would still play their home games in Scotland and embarrass themselves (and us as a nation at every turn) perhaps moreso as the Manchester exploits are continued wherever they visit.

"In tonight's sportscene we have Atlantic League action as Rangers host Rosenborg and Celtic are away to Bruges! Followed by all the goals from the spl including the final day title decider." 

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

100% this.

Our American overlords have stated from the start that the club's plan lies with the new stadium to boost the fan experience. A huge amount of money goes into just keeping Dens ticking over and it's crumbling so they've stated like most sensible businessmen that the money they are spending just now is to keep Dens safe and then the experience should be improved on the park and then when we're into our new stadium (if it ever happens) then that's when there'll be a more noticeable difference.

As far as marketing the club in other ways, we've heavily expanded our youth infrastructure to the point where we can compete with United (and indeed the OF in some cases) for the best youth players in the area which previously just wasn't the case.

Step by step our infrastructure has improved.

The key failing and fewer ST holders has largely been down to successive disastrous managerial appointments. End of the McCann era and more vitally the McIntyre era really hurt our crowds which only seem to just be showing shoots of recovery now with our highest ST sales since the Americans first season.

"Boost the fan experience"

Ffs, listen to yourself.

There are rumours going around that all the teams outside the Old Firm were approached in July. A fair few shat out of upsetting the big two, five never. 

One chairman never replied. His PA said he was taking part in a parade in Belfast over the weekend.