SPFL Review

15 hours ago, Theyellowbox said:

f**k me, that is your come back? Probably nobody here was alive when you won the league. Waiting on Queens Park and Dumbarton fans to pitch in now and trump you!

Queens Park have never won the league. Sons of the Rock on the other hand . . .

This is going to be very, very funny. 

We all know what the report is going to recommend when it’s been funded by five city clubs and “endorsed” by the CEO of the SPFL. Doncaster is very stupid, but he’s not stupid enough to endorse a review that would call him out for being a monumental f**k up.

Expect some recommendations about league restructuring to formally remove the wee teams from the league setup, and a smaller top flight. 2 leagues of ten or something. Nothing else of any consequence will come from this.

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Scotland is a market for Sky to promote the EPL, not our own game and they certainly don’t care about promoting Scottish football in England 

Does Danish domestic football take a back seat for the Bundesliga?

Do they show more game from Seria A in Croatia than Croatian domestic games?

I doubt it

How anyone can think it’s a good deal we have with them is beyond me

Id happily have live English games blacked out in Scotland if it meant our own clubs get the exposure

Used to be like that. Bbc/Itv couldnt show highlights of an English game unless they also showed a Scottish game

2 hours ago, Dons_1988 said:

The problem with that is the USP. We all know what people see that as. 

The USP is that  it's 15 minutes walk  from my front door

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

Do they show more game from Seria A in Croatia than Croatian domestic games?

I doubt it

Some preliminary research on Croatian TV listing suggest that they don't but they do show more English games than Croatian domestic games

5 hours ago, velo army said:

I can understand the suspicion and ire of St Johnstone fans though. They've been a more successful club over the last decade than four of those five clubs, but I wonder if Brown was approached and declined? 

Which of the 5 clubs have been more successful than St Johnstone in the last 10 years?

30 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

Which of the 5 clubs have been more successful than St Johnstone in the last 10 years?

I was thinking Aberdeen, but I'd credited them with 2 cup wins instead of just the one, so that was a mistake. I was also thinking of a few runners up spots and final appearances they've had. 

If this comes out with some ideas to improve the TV deal, improve the sponsorship and a more equitable split of those pots of money it would be massively positive. 

I don’t believe the dominance of the OF is as much of an issue as others believe. Other than England it is pretty much one or two clubs in each league who will win - Germany Is best example where Bayern just hoover up the best talent. 

Any recommendations to close off promotion/ relegation will get the Scottish government involved.  Sturgeon doesn’t seem to be the biggest football fan and this will give her an open goal - look at how Johnson got involved in the ESL issue. 

17 minutes ago, HK Hibee said:

I don’t believe the dominance of the OF is as much of an issue as others believe. Other than England it is pretty much one or two clubs in each league who will win - Germany Is best example where Bayern just hoover up the best talent.  

I agree with you on this but it is only really the last 20yrs that this has been the case in other leagues where as Scotland Portugal and Holland we have had it for much longer.

If you look at leagues like La Liga up until the 2000's it was peppered with different champions between Real and Barca but it wasn't impossible to win the league for the others. Barca have won more leagues in the last 30 yrs (15) than they had done in the previous 60 (11). Atletico really have done an amazing job to keep up with the big 2 here and are an example to the rest but Atletico are an exception if you look round other countries.

The Bundesliga always had different winners albeit they were spread between Bayern always coming back to win 1-2 then drop away again.

France had 8 different winners in a 10yr period between the Marseille and Lyon dominant eras from the 90's-2000's.

Football is being dominated by the same small amount of teams to a much larger degree nowadays than it was even 20yrs or so ago.

3 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I agree with you on this but it is only really the last 20yrs that this has been the case in other leagues where as Scotland Portugal and Holland we have had it for much longer.

If you look at leagues like La Liga up until the 2000's it was peppered with different champions between Real and Barca but it wasn't impossible to win the league for the others. Barca have won more leagues in the last 30 yrs (15) than they had done in the previous 60 (11). Atletico really have done an amazing job to keep up with the big 2 here and are an example to the rest but Atletico are an exception if you look round other countries.

The Bundesliga always had different winners albeit they were spread between Bayern always coming back to win 1-2 then drop away again.

France had 8 different winners in a 10yr period between the Marseille and Lyon dominant eras from the 90's-2000's.

Football is being dominated by the same small amount of teams to a much larger degree nowadays than it was even 20yrs or so ago.

The issue here is the utter contempt towards 40 clubs and the way that the authorities have been "complicent" that word again in ensuring that the league is won by one of two clubs ,

5 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Yep. Unfortunately it is why a bigger European League of some description is inevitable. 

The only crumbs of comfort will be laughing at the OF trying desperately to get in and play with the big boys……and failing. Not that much comfort tbh. 

Just read the last 13 pages and I’m honestly absolutely shocked that St Johnstone fans are furious, it’s not like them.

The investigation itself, well, part of me is skeptical, the patter about reducing the clubs in the league is shite and I really hope we avoid that but I don’t hold too much faith that we will, however there is absolutely 0 chance of that being voted through anyway.

The other part of Ron Gordon that gives me the fear is pricing, ticket prices have shot up for Hibs since his arrival and while that may not affect this directly, it wouldn’t shock me if he inflicted those ideas on others, I was told he was asking staff around the place if they think people would pay £40 for a derby ticket the other week.

On a more positive side though, they’re absolutely aware in our failings from a marketing perspective. Again, going back to Mr Gordon, he’s spoken about having club shops in airports and in city centres to improve the brand worldwide and about the passion of our supporters in this country being our USP, so if they could use that to build the brand and reputation that could be fruitful, although I’m not sure how that’ll happen.

It’s safe to say I’m skeptical about this and what benefit it’ll actually bring and for that matter if anything will actually change off the back of it in honesty.

Oh yeah and f**k Deloitte.