SPFL Review

14 minutes ago, ayaye said:

If the intention is to generate revenue certainly one of the best ways would be to create more competition at the top of the uppermost league. A merger of the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs respectively would surely realise teams that could compete with Rangers and Celtic. I wonder if this will be suggested?

Mean Girls Movie GIF by filmeditor

Just now, Clown Job said:

Scotland is a market for Sky to promote the EPL, not our own game and they certainly don’t care about promoting Scottish football in England 

How anyone can think it’s a good deal we have with them is beyond me

Id happily have live English games blacked out in Scotland if it meant our own clubs get the exposure

I don't think the EPL see Scotland as a big market for them.

Sky was the only deal on the table and from the Wkipedia link that was put on here we have a better deal for our football then Romania, Austria, Switzerland and Russia which all have bigger populations so we aren't doing too badly.

Do you think the SPFL is more popular then the EPL with younger generations of fans in this country? Do you think we'd come out stronger if we cut out the EPL and went on a different platform to them altogether? I'd be wary of doing that.

I always thought our USPs(unique selling points) was that we're all mad b*****ds on and off the park, 50 years of violent sectarian hatred and League One clubs social media posting the word jobby or something equally hilarious.

What are we like eh ? Let's get Janey Godley in to do all the adverts.

21 minutes ago, ahemps said:

Sky was the only deal on the table and from the Wkipedia link that was put on here we have a better deal for our football then Romania, Austria, Switzerland and Russia which all have bigger populations so we aren't doing too badly.

Do you think the SPFL is more popular then the EPL with younger generations of fans in this country? Do you think we'd come out stronger if we cut out the EPL and went on a different platform to them altogether? I'd be wary of doing that.

It’s a big market for Sky 

If you want to watch Scottish football then you need to pay the same overinflated subscription fees as they do for the “riches league in the world”, except they don’t have to show as many game, don’t have to promote the league and have very basic production values for match day games

While they get to expose the EPL relentless to Scottish audiences, over and above our own game.

They must absolutely love it when they see these weirdo Scots who don’t support a Scottish football because “it’s a pub league” while wearing a Everton top 

I honestly couldn’t give a f**k about Switzerland, Romania, Russia etc… to be honest 

But you can pretty much bet the fans in these countries don’t have to suffer the same above issues 

I do think it’s an issue with younger fans being drawn more towards the EPL than Scottish football, as I’ve already said they get more exposure to it

Edited by Clown Job

What i'd like to see compared to what i anticipate 

Commercial growth :

Like- foolproof plan to double tv deal. Also include 2nd tier highlights and seaside goals +selected highlights on Sportscene for extra £53 per year. 

Expect- lots of graphs, waffle.

Brand

Like-to not copy England 

Expect- to not copy England

Structure

Like-More centralised commercial activity. More co-operation and central talent management 

Expect- loads of charts with coloured boxes and block arrows saying things like "stakeholders", recommendation for wholesale management structure reorganisation (without explicitly saying "pay deloitte for further details") 

Strategic projects

Like- don't understand the question to be honest

Expect- another cross selling and upselling opportunity with more waffle. 

The biggest winner out of this will be Deloitte, odds on. 

23 minutes ago, ahemps said:

I'd say if it comes down to paying £30+ for sky and have EPL, EFL and all the add ons vs say £20 for SPFL TV I would imagine there would not be enough people that would buy both or just SPFL TV to better the current deal.

Where it might work is to have SPFL TV somehow linked to ST holders, so a discount or access to additional material and possibly showing games in other countries currently not picked up by sky that may be of interest to Scottish fans at that point, such as the the portugese league when Gauld was there or Serie B when Henderson was there. 

The same logic is behind it though.
The "review" will be focussed on finding the benefits of reducing the amount of teams in the SPFL, and comparing that to the negatives of keeping a larger SPFL.
Its a weighted discussion doomed to fail from the very start. 
These 5 clubs probably do have the "clout" to force decent change and take power from the OF, but they likely won't bother with that. It'll be all about getting rid of clubs and siphoning money towards themselves.

The big clubs are absolutely desperate to get their hands on the (*checks notes*) £1.4million that Leagues 1 and 2 selfishly keep for themselves every year.

Moonhowling stuff from the Saintees here.

Will leave comments on what these clubs want to those better informed. But as a wider point, a Deloitte consultancy review will be multiple hundreds of thousands with the ludicrous charge out rates. For suggestions which can just be shot down in the 11 v 1 vote? How can this be a cost effective exercise? 

11 minutes ago, ScottishZizou said:

Will leave comments on what these clubs want to those better informed. But as a wider point, a Deloitte consultancy review will be multiple hundreds of thousands with the ludicrous charge out rates. For suggestions which can just be shot down in the 11 v 1 vote? How can this be a cost effective exercise? 

I suppose these 5 clubs can put forward a motion to split from the SPFL and ask others to join if they think there’s a better, more financial way forward like what happened in 1997. 

Get the 2 erse cheeks binned and get a larger top league in place. 

If the intention is to generate revenue certainly one of the best ways would be to create more competition at the top of the uppermost league. A merger of the Edinburgh and Dundee clubs respectively would surely realise teams that could compete with Rangers and Celtic. I wonder if this will be suggested?

I am almost certain the plan will be for a reformed Third Lanark to be parachuted into the top league. [emoji6]
That is definitely what our game has been lacking for the last 50 or so years. [emoji848]

58 minutes ago, lubo_blaha said:

The big clubs are absolutely desperate to get their hands on the (*checks notes*) £1.4million that Leagues 1 and 2 selfishly keep for themselves every year.

Moonhowling stuff from the Saintees here.

They’re just upset the east coast clubs just detoured around Perth on the A90 on their way to the meeting. 

26 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

I suppose these 5 clubs can put forward a motion to split from the SPFL and ask others to join if they think there’s a better, more financial way forward like what happened in 1997. 

Sounds possible/right, thanks for that response as it wasn't adding up to me

14 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

No the problem is that we share a media market with England and have to schedule or TV fixtures around their games.

For example Sky paid for 48 live games last season. They did not show 48 games.

Independence and closing our TV market to England is the only way we can grow.. Our value per game is in the top 10 in Europe but we can't show more games because of our current position in the UK and the TV market.

14 hours ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

I had heard something about our value per game being quite high, or something similar. It's obviously an intriguing statistic, where is it from if you don't mind me asking? 

Showing less games will increase the value per game metric.

Especially as there's some markedly diminishing returns (You're not going to sell 96 games for twice the money as 48)

8 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

thereby lies the real problem. You have to go back to season 1984/85 to see any other team( Aberdeen) other than Rangers ( in whatever guise ) or Celtic win the top league.  Their dominance while providing much needed revenue for clubs also stifles /eliminates any real competitive nature in a league where perm any two from maybe eight is fighting to avoid relegation. Marketing the league and attracting sponsorship and funding would not be such a black hole if there was a real chance that the dominance of these two could be sustainably challenged. We go along in the hope that our team might pull off a shock result once in a while but are realistic to know that we will probably f*ck it up the following week against a team we would look to beat. I don't think any commission or review is going to come up with any revolutionary ideas otherwise it would have been done before. 

Additionally, the quality of product on show often does not justify the levels of admission prices. TV broadcasts are extremely selective in where they devote their energies i.e. who is playing either of the big two to suit the " ive been a fan all my life " brigade but in truth who never set foot in Ibrox or Parkhead .  That plus moderate exposure in England for ex pats or those of a bigoted nature down south.

In short a waste of time and money.

15 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pretty sure St Johnstone fans were crying about that as well.

No matter their success on the pitch, they can't shake off the 'diddy' tag and it sits on their shoulder like a big chip.

Whilst we arse about from crisis to crisis like a mad alky giving zero fucks for almost 50 year and are instantly recognised as the clusterfuck big team.

They're the Scrappy Doo of Scottish Football
The Phenomena Known As Scrappy-Doo | Scooby doo images, Scrappy doo, Scooby  doo

20 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

I don't see how anyone can be upset by a proactive approach by some involved in the game to try and make it more profitable for all.

Do those upset by these 5 chairpersons actions, believe that this current set up is the best we can get?

Exactly. What's not to like about folk looking to move the game forward. a) any changes will likely benefit more than just the 5 clubs and b) while it is those 5 listed, I'm pretty sure they will be in constant communication with other clubs. 

If they tried to push through something that either hadn't been communicated to others or weighted to these clubs, it would never get voted through.

What's not being discussed is that this very action makes the positions of the likes of Doncaster etc untenable surely?

If 5 of our larger clubs feel strongly enough that the game isn't realising its potential to set up a group like this, it isnt exactly a ringing endorsement for how it's currently bring managed. 

5 hours ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sadly there will be only one winner out of this and it begins with a ‘D’ and ends with an ‘E’ but they don’t play at Dens Park.

You  mean the Machiavellian board at Dunfermline are pulling the strings behind the scenes?