SPFL Review

7 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

How many full time clubs do you think we should have?

No idea.

I just completely disagree that the amount of full time teams should be decided by chairmen of clubs in the same league, and I completely disagree that chairmen of football clubs can also kick other clubs out the league based on "size". 

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea.

I just completely disagree that the amount of full time teams should be decided by chairmen of clubs in the same league, and I completely disagree that chairmen of football clubs can also kick other clubs out the league based on "size". 

Ok, so you have no idea for change, but disagree with their ideas.

You see where that ends up, don't you?

Just now, Leith Green said:

Ok, so you have no idea for change, but disagree with their ideas.

You see where that ends up, don't you?

So are our only options staying where we are or culling half the sides in the Country?

The whole SPFL needs to find a way to get more money in the game, rather than just removing half the clubs so those who are saved get more. 

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

No idea.

The danger is that if you either close the shop or in any way restrict upward movement you end up with artificially heightened teams.

Just look over the last 25ish years. ICT, Ross County and Livingston have all gone up the leagues and won major trophies. That wouldn't have happened if the likes of Gordon had his way in 1994.

Equally, Hearts, Hibs, Dundee and United have all spent time down the leagues in recent years. What if the top flight was closed of to them while they were down.

The Premiership's biggest problem is that only 2 sides have any chance of winning it. It's utterly predictable, which may indicate why the TV contract is smaller than comparable countries. How do you fix that? A more equitable split of income (away from the OF) or bring in play-offs to decide the winner (a feature of American sport). I'd love to see either but I'm not holding my breath

4 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

So are our only options staying where we are or culling half the sides in the Country?

The whole SPFL needs to find a way to get more money in the game, rather than just removing half the clubs so those who are saved get more. 

Of course not, but you keep dodging the question.

You have spent all night greetin, without suggesting anything as an alternative.

Too easy to sit and snipe on the sidelines.

1 minute ago, Gibby82 said:

This all STV’s fault.

D8EF17B6-349A-45FB-8399-F92216E5D486.jpeg

Pretty sure St Johnstone fans were crying about that as well.

No matter their success on the pitch, they can't shake off the 'diddy' tag and it sits on their shoulder like a big chip.

Whilst we arse about from crisis to crisis like a mad alky giving zero fucks for almost 50 year and are instantly recognised as the clusterfuck big team.

Just now, Sydney Carton said:

The Premiership's biggest problem is that only 2 sides have any chance of winning it. It's utterly predictable, which may indicate why the TV contract is smaller than comparable countries. How do you fix that? A more equitable split of income (away from the OF) or bring in play-offs to decide the winner (a feature of American sport). I'd love to see either but I'm not holding my breath

No the problem is that we share a media market with England and have to schedule or TV fixtures around their games.

For example Sky paid for 48 live games last season. They did not show 48 games.

Independence and closing our TV market to England is the only way we can grow.. Our value per game is in the top 10 in Europe but we can't show more games because of our current position in the UK and the TV market.

2 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

Of course not, but you keep dodging the question.

You have spent all night greetin, without suggesting anything as an alternative.

Too easy to sit and snipe on the sidelines.

What? Theres plenty of times when something is clearly wrong, even if you can't propose a perfect alternative.

Given a choice between keeping things as it is, or culling 24 clubs from the SPFL, then I know what I'd want. One is shite, but the other would completely kill the game in this country and turn the top flight into a monotonous slog of the same 10 teams playing each other for infinity as nobody else can break in.

Opening up the entire pyramid, letting clubs try and build and see what comes out of it, is a good thing. Chucking that all away and closing the door so 24 clubs are guaranteed to be the top 24 clubs year after year sounds woeful.

In truth I don't think things are awful the way they are, other than the fact that I think the Sky deal does little for our game and we'd perhaps be better off trying an in-house solution.

The number of teams in the league makes it competitive throughout so its fairly entertaining. However I believe two bigger leagues instead of four, ie 20 teams top, 22+ teams below, might be for the betterment of Scottish football.

I suggest this for two reasons:

1) It will allow teams who have made up the SPL or whom challenge in Championship to make it to the big leagues. In my view some of these clubs just need a chance to kick on to grow, and regular visits from teams with larger supports may be beneficial to them, in turn allowing them to invest in the team and potentially take larger home crowds. 

2) It will make the league less competitive, perhaps less meaningful games for mid-table sides. However I do feel if - to be arrogant about it - there are 'easier' games for established SPL clubs then that will provide a greater opportunity to play youth and develop talent. Currently because the league is competitive its a risk for a team like Hibs to put out anything but a best 11 every week. Perhaps good for the product on show, but fairly crap for the development of players if the only way they can develop is through the 1) League Cup 2) Loan system 3) Injury crisis.

It would lead to a smaller share of the overall pot, but potentially increase the amount of players developed in the league whom can either continue to play a part for the team or merit being sold on.

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Pretty sure St Johnstone fans were crying about that as well.

No matter their success on the pitch, they can't shake off the 'diddy' tag and it sits on their shoulder like a big chip.

Whilst we arse about from crisis to crisis like a mad alky giving zero fucks for almost 50 year and are instantly recognised as the clusterfuck big team.

You seem obsessed with St Johnstone to be honest. Look we just don't see you as a derby and you need to get over it.

Away and concern yourself with the team over the road and your wee kiddy rivalry. You guys are verging on half and half scarf territory, if I was you I'd be more concerned with that that a team up the river and what it's fans think of you and your clusterfuck of a club.