SPFL Review

10 minutes ago, Clown Job said:

I always felt with the TV deal Scottish football is at a big disadvantage due to us being part of a UK market 

We will always be treated as the sideshow or warm up act, yet fans are expected to pay the same subscription fees for some piss poor production and barely any promotion of our game 

Although it might be unpopular you may have a point.

All the teams involved in this must be sitting f**k me, look at the subscribers get for streaming our games.  And now it’s back to the occasional game that isn’t being used as an old firm away season ticket.  

23 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

For the lay among us, care to spell it out?

4 of the clubs are ones who think they "deserve" to be top 6 sides every season, and have also had regular spells in the 2nd tier in the past decade, or regular spells underachieving compared to "smaller" clubs. 

The other has been trying to weasel into the OFs love nest for the past decade to cement themselves as a "off field power".

Multiple red flags going off at this group of 5 clubs, as they all have a major interest in both closing off the prospect of relegation and taking power away from smaller clubs. 

"SPL2" or a reduced SPFL with almost certainly be discussed by all 5 with a couple of heads nodding.

1 minute ago, Gorgie greatness said:

Can’t imagine the “let’s whore our stadiums out to arsecheek fans to increase income”

I mean, we reduced Rangers allocation at McDiarmid for the game a few days ago m8.

We can't all be based in a city with over half a million people.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

4 of the clubs are ones who think they "deserve" to be top 6 sides every season, and have also had regular spells in the 2nd tier in the past decade, or regular spells underachieving compared to "smaller" clubs. 

The other has been trying to weasel into the OFs love nest for the past decade to cement themselves as a "off field power".

Multiple red flags going off at this group of 5 clubs, as they all have a major interest in both closing off the prospect of relegation and taking power away from smaller clubs. 

"SPL2" or a reduced SPFL with almost certainly be discussed by all 5 with a couple of heads nodding.

🤣🤣

Your owner is literally a boyhood Rangers fan who hired an Orangeman.

1 minute ago, Merkland Red said:

🤣🤣

Your owner is literally a boyhood Rangers fan who hired an Orangeman.

Yet when it came to it he voted against the OFs interest and tried to hand power back to the rest of the clubs, while your scabby little club tried to take Rangers place and fucked everyone over.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Hopefully it’s a case of taking power away from the 2 erse cheeks. 

Would St Johnstone rather play in a league with Celtic and Rangers or one with Aberdeen, Dundee, Dundee United, Hearts and Hibs?

Said it in the Aberdeen thread, that in the face of it this could be a positive move as long as the clubs spearheading the review have an open dialogue with all clubs.
I also asked, isn’t this the SPFL getting the clubs to do their job for them?

The job of the SPFL is to look after all 42 clubs, the purpose of this is to look after 5 clubs.

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I wouldn't say we have any real interest in closing off relegation, albeit I could have said that ten years ago and the egg on my face in the decade since would have been palpable. In my view the relegation of one of these sides is something to be celebrated, usually its a good laugh, even when its us. 

I suppose from an ownership perspective, particularly that of American owners, I can see why you'd think that and indeed I can stretch to imagining it'll be discussed. I just don't think it would ever be seriously proposed, the European Super League farago was a case in point as to why things which undermine the genuine competitive spirit of competition aren't well received. And indeed, in looking to solicit a greenie from you and your kin, the double win of St Johnstone last campaign shows what it would rob the game of. 

I can however see that they may wish for a bigger league with a number of clubs whom they might regard as buffers to relegation, however. Albeit for my own reasons I'd like that as, as I said in my OP, there are a number of championship clubs I have great affection for and would be keen to see more regularly, and I also feel less stiff opposition *EVERY* week might give SPL teams more of a chance to blood their youth. 

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

Just now, Yenitit said:

Hopefully it’s a case of taking power away from the 2 erse cheeks. 

It won't be, it never is. It'll be about handing more power to these 5 clubs by taking it from somewhere else, and it won't be the OF who back down thanks to Aberdeen.

The 5 clubs have no interest in "improving Scottish football" beyond their own blinkered view of what that improvement would be. I'd be good money almost every person of power at these clubs would talk about "the biggest clubs playing against each other every week" as being a necessity in the top flight.