SPFL Review

Some links:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/aberdeen-hearts-hibs-lead-new-24984783

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/58565111

Have at it fellas.

Not sure what this will end up recommending, but I'm hoping for a larger league as I'd like to see Raith in the top flight, Starks Park is an excellent away day. 

Some points/queries I would raise:

- Our TV deal apparently 'pales' by comparison to that of similarly sized countries. I'm sure this data is readily available by a simple Google search, but in-case anyone has it all on hand I think it would make a useful starting point to discussions.

- In the theme of the above perhaps being something we already know, what is the likelihood of anything coming out of this that we don't already know, or is this just Deloitte accepting money and saying they'll do the best they can for no real outcome? Does having what we already know, with Deloitte putting their signature to it, make it more likely  that things we already know are acted upon?

- What do we already know?

I don't know much, other than perhaps I'll be needing a lie down.

Edited by Chefki Kuqi

2 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/aberdeen-hearts-hibs-lead-new-24984783

Have at it fellas.

Not sure what this will end up recommending, but I'm hoping for a larger league as I'd like to see Raith in the top flight, Starks Park is an excellent away day. 

Nelms has been calling for this for years, glad he has joined in.

4 minutes ago, Chefki Kuqi said:

It'll end up recommending exactly what those commissioning want it to recommend.

So given the recent comments from Ron Gordon and previous from Budge I'd expect it'll be recommending binning the teams in the seaside leagues or whatever.

Basically whatever is in their interests is what it'll put forward.

1 minute ago, capt_oats said:

It'll end up recommending exactly what those commissioning want it to recommend.

So given the recent comments from Ron Gordon and previous from Budge I'd expect it'll be recommending binning the teams in the seaside leagues or whatever.

Well if that's what it comes up with I regret starting the thread, arguably Ron's most embarrassing moment since he joined.

Yes, were you to design a football league from the ground up to maximise attendance via Geography you might come up with something different, but it's always seemed such a fanciful notion that I don't know why anyone with the power to do anything would even consider floating it.

Surely there are many other things to do to improve the game in Scotland before you start binning teams, and if you do start binning teams, on whose authority are they binned?

2 minutes ago, capt_oats said:

Yep. Reduce the size of the top league and cut off the smaller teams altogether.

9 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

SPFLTV

Just notionally I'd take that, get all the leagues and all the cups in one place, allow various types to sponsor each competition and just move Sky on out the way. 

My feeling is we'd surely get more money from a centralised SPFL TV with all fans paying into it than we'd get from Sky, although that could be nonsense. 

I also feel like it might be an easier product to sell on to a bigger player too, given that there would be no conflation on viewing figures like we get now of who buys Sky for what reasons. If buying SPFL TV, its to watch Scottish football, making it a better barometer for demand - for better or for worse. 

Said it in the Aberdeen thread, that in the face of it this could be a positive move as long as the clubs spearheading the review have an open dialogue with all clubs.

I also asked, isn’t this the SPFL getting the clubs to do their job for them?

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Think it's pretty obvious what will be discussed considering the clubs involved 

For the lay among us, care to spell it out?

My own view being there's very little benefit to the clubs involved in reducing the amount of professional football clubs in Scotland.

One of the advantages we have is that those involved and indeed any SPL club are a reasonably attractive destination to Scottish players whom have come good at lower levels within the competition.

By reducing the amount of clubs in the SPFL we're reducing the viability of the clubs removed, and thus reducing the opportunities for players to develop at clubs within the pyramid. 

So for me at-least its not a clear cut sell as to why they'd want to debate and put forward that issue. 

I always felt with the TV deal Scottish football is at a big disadvantage due to us being part of a UK market 

We will always be treated as the sideshow or warm up act, yet fans are expected to pay the same subscription fees for some piss poor production and barely any promotion of our game